The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we lose Sbisa to the expansion draft then we drop Tryamkin and Sbisa in one off-season - our two most physical guys all of last season. Gudbranson is literally the only one on the team who can throw a hit and who knows if he'll be injured next season too.

I think team toughness is going to have to come from within. We've got to have guys like Sutter, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen and especially 4th liners like Gaunce, Boucher and any AHL call-up play with grit and throw hits when it counts. The Stanley Cup playoffs weren't as physical as they've been in the past but where it counts is in front of the net and along the board. We have to have our key guys win those battles. They don't need to throw hits to be "physical", they just have to play tough and win battles and hopefully Green has a way to get our guys to win those battles despite their lack of muscle.

RtrEEoC.gif

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

RtrEEoC.gif

Good post ,

Thinking along the same lines in regard to team toughness it will have to become a team by committee approach as a third attribute.

The first being a more offensive scoring team 5-5 (talented forward scoring is priority)

secound would be tightening up the D 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Team toughness is my biggest concern going into 2017/18. We were already getting pushed around a lot, leading to a landslide of injuries. 

Now, we're without Sbisa and Tryamkin, two guys who weren't afraid to push back. We have way too many soft forwards on the team, and soft defense. 

Dorsett and Gudbranson alone do not make a tough team to play against. Dorsett is lucky to play 10 mins a game. It's going to be another season of being pushed around, watching the Sedins get abused, and seeing the injuries pile up again. 

Benning needs to wake up and realize physicality is still a huge part of hockey. Beef this team up already.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Team toughness is my biggest concern going into 2017/18. We were already getting pushed around a lot, leading to a landslide of injuries. 

Now, we're without Sbisa and Tryamkin, two guys who weren't afraid to push back. We have way too many soft forwards on the team, and soft defense. 

Dorsett and Gudbranson alone do not make a tough team to play against. Dorsett is lucky to play 10 mins a game. It's going to be another season of being pushed around, watching the Sedins get abused, and seeing the injuries pile up again. 

Benning needs to wake up and realize physicality is still a huge part of hockey. Beef this team up already.

Benning has stated clearly in interviews that he doesn't like where our physicality is at, and that we were too soft to play against.  He realizes it, and I think he will address it in the offseason.  

Picking up two tough customers that can play will really not be that hard.  They're the easiest ones to come by in the free agency.

• 5 months later...
On ‎2017‎年‎3‎月‎30‎日 at 12:16 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Apologies if a similar thread has already been served up. But I'd like to see fan's assessments/analysis of what we should do here.

Watching Cal, Edm & Ana recently, it seems these teams have been built with plenty of grit, alongside their young skill. Likely the Desert Dawgs will be following suit.

Our division is looking (increasingly) that size & attitude will be required.

1) Do we have enough?

2 )Should we draft it? Summer-sign it? Trade for it? Or all of the above?

Lastly, might the pendulum swing the other way? Might the league try to phase out most of this sanctioned violence? Thought this was trending(a few yrs back), but it appears to be reverting back to old patterns.

I'm bumping this question/thread from late last season. There was a lot of feedback accepting/endorsing we should pursue more grit.

Games like today's(7-1 loss to Nash) further illustrate our charmin soft lineup. Even if we were relatively healthy at this juncture, I'd say 2 or 3 of our fwds should be swapped for more size & attitude. Burm, Gag-me, Sutter, Granny..these guys are in slots(generally bottom-6) where most teams have some sandpaper.

Also sign Arch, ferGawdsakes(yes, heard he's injured). Call up LaBate & MacEwan, at times. I think this needs to be addressed. Seems obvious now, we were asking WAYYY to much from 2 or 3 guys, from the get-go..especially one coming back from a serious medical procedure.

*******************Put Simply?**************

Inadequate.

On ‎2017‎年‎6‎月‎25‎日 at 7:03 AM, Slegr said:

On ‎2017‎年‎6‎月‎25‎日 at 9:17 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning has stated clearly in interviews that he doesn't like where our physicality is at, and that we were too soft to play against.  He realizes it, and I think he will address it in the offseason.  

Picking up two tough customers that can play will really not be that hard.  They're the easiest ones to come by in the free agency.

^ Just look what people were saying last Freeken'June!

WHAT was done, in this dept?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Kind of strange seeing this after Benning himself has been an advocate for more of a physical presence and a "safe working environment".  I didn't know it was possible but this current team might be the softest we've had since Benning has been in charge. 

I think we’re definitely the weakest team in the nhl.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think we’re definitely the weakest team in the nhl.

Yup , once again one of the easiest team to play against when it come to the physical play. Rarely does The opposition even need wear shoulder or elbow pads.

seems lost on this managment that a big hit or a team mate stepping up for another can change the  momentum just like a goal.

its usually the dorsetts  that glue the “team” together and create a spark.

The Nucks have no spark plugs the engine will never run.

call up lebate and Archie , flush the poo and waive the gagme. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Ive been following this team since I was a little kid, Im a middle aged guy now - I do not remember a softer Canucks roster than this.  Even during the darkest years it seemed to me that we always had guys that pushed back, stood up for themselves and team mates.  Sometimes those guys were amongst the toughest in the league, guys like Gino, Brashear, Troy Crowder, Daryl Stanley.  We also had guys that could play and answer the bell if needed, guys like Diduck, Momesso, Curt Fraser, Rypien, Antoski, Tiger Williams. Character guys like Tim Hunter, Stan Smyl, and most recently Dorsett - guys that didnt win every fight but would be there if there was a problem. There are a many other guys that im not listing here.  Point is that even if we sucked we didnt get bullied.

The game has changed, of course, but intimidation is a big part of the game.  It turns my stomach to see stuff like this:

mJ0_7Q.gif

giphy.gif

To me this to me is more humiliating than what happens on the score board.  Teams come in here and do whatever they want. Its been going on for years. 

If Hartnell knows that his arse would be handed to him next time he was on the ice would he do this?  Would he do this if he knew we had a couple guys that would bitch $lap softer players on his team as a response?  Probably not.

You cant quantify what a deterrent provides to a hockey team.  We do have one deterrent that is currently injured.  He may have his shortcomings but its one reason I hope they sign him again.  Even with Guddy back in the lineup they need 2 or three other guys that can be a supporting cast.  He wont be able to do all the push back, 5 minute majors for a D man really throws the team off.

This team needs to arm itself, or this guy will be treated like Daniel and Henrik have been treated (good gawd look at his legs...protect him so that he has the confidence to play like he can)

25152029_10159608291595328_8297181278212

This guy plays sports?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Kind of strange seeing this after Benning himself has been an advocate for more of a physical presence and a "safe working environment".  I didn't know it was possible but this current team might be the softest we've had since Benning has been in charge. 

This is the softest Canuck team I've ever seen, at least if this was a skilled team then there'd be an excuse.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Ive been following this team since I was a little kid, Im a middle aged guy now - I do not remember a softer Canucks roster than this.  Even during the darkest years it seemed to me that we always had guys that pushed back, stood up for themselves and team mates.  Sometimes those guys were amongst the toughest in the league, guys like Gino, Brashear, Troy Crowder, Daryl Stanley.  We also had guys that could play and answer the bell if needed, guys like Diduck, Momesso, Curt Fraser, Rypien, Antoski, Tiger Williams. Character guys like Tim Hunter, Stan Smyl, and most recently Dorsett - guys that didnt win every fight but would be there if there was a problem. There are a many other guys that im not listing here.  Point is that even if we sucked we didnt get bullied.

The game has changed, of course, but intimidation is a big part of the game.  It turns my stomach to see stuff like this:

mJ0_7Q.gif

giphy.gif

To me this to me is more humiliating than what happens on the score board.  Teams come in here and do whatever they want. Its been going on for years. 

If Hartnell knows that his arse would be handed to him next time he was on the ice would he do this?  Would he do this if he knew we had a couple guys that would bitch $lap softer players on his team as a response?  Probably not.

You cant quantify what a deterrent provides to a hockey team.  We do have one deterrent that is currently injured.  He may have his shortcomings but its one reason I hope they sign him again.  Even with Guddy back in the lineup they need 2 or three other guys that can be a supporting cast.  He wont be able to do all the push back, 5 minute majors for a D man really throws the team off.

This team needs to arm itself, or this guy will be treated like Daniel and Henrik have been treated (good gawd look at his legs...protect him so that he has the confidence to play like he can)

25152029_10159608291595328_8297181278212

D71,

Would give this post a +50 if I could!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The word is out (has been for a while) that its open season on Vancouver Canuck players... They have no push-back and even if they did, I think it is well known throughout the league that any Canuck indiscretion will be punished by said league to the full extent possible. Players on other teams are not stupid they see how it is and know what they can get away with when playing Vancouver... Unfortunately until we get some more toughness, drop the dead weight, and Aquaman actually 'mans up' and calls out the league on this BS (Benning cant as he will be fined into oblivion) nothing is going to change. 

8 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The word is out (has been for a while) that its open season on Vancouver Canuck players... They have no push-back and even if they did, I think it is well known throughout the league that any Canuck indiscretion will be punished by said league to the full extent possible. Players on other teams are not stupid they see how it is and know what they can get away with when playing Vancouver... Unfortunately until we get some more toughness, drop the dead weight, and Aquaman actually 'mans up' and calls out the league on this BS (Benning cant as he will be fined into oblivion) nothing is going to change. 

7 min, 2-man disadvantages MIGHT be a clue giving such theories credence.. Whenever we acquire size/attitude, look at the unique punishments meted out!

All the way back to the early 80's, people like Roger Neilson understood how the deck would be rigged. It's a damn shame, what happened to this great game.

• Upvote 3

I watched the Jets game, the Canucks looked like kids standing next to these guys... this team is doomed if we don't do something about it. I can hardly stand watching them get pushed around. Maybe it was ok when the other team took a penalty and we made them pay on the scoresheet, but those days are long gone and this team will never go anywhere until they address this issue. The game has changed, but there is something to be said about having toughness in the lineup.. if you can't beat them on the score sheet, beat them to a pulp. 

• Cheers 1

To me this is the downside of having the Sedin's as the Captains on the team. If there is an altercation on the ice and your Captains won't do anything about it your going to be a soft team.  I'm not dissing the Sedin's they just aren't the Captains you pick if you want a tough team. I've never even seen them yell at another player nevermind push one, put them in a head lock etc.

Every player in the NHL is pretty damn tough. So to me it's the mindset of the team that needs to change. You don't need to be the biggest or badest guy to let the other team know you won't be pushed around they can all do it. But it comes from the top and one or two outliers like Guddy and Dorrsett won't make much difference. The leaders of the team need to let the league know they won't be pushed around the rest will follow suit.

The biggest problem on this team is no one thinks anyone has there back and they are right and it's been that way for 10 years.

It's just my opinion of course but it's not a personnel change we need it's an attitude change if it's a tough team you want.

Like I said this isn't me dissing the Sedin's because they are great leaders and they are tough in there own way just not in a don't mess with my team type of way.

• Thanks 1