The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - St Louis

To the Canucks: Ryan Reaves

To the Blues:
Gaunce
2018 5th round pick (2018 3rd if Reaves plays at least 65 games)

Why the Canucks do it: Ryan Reaves does in Vancouver what Matt Martin does in Toronto, protect the rookies and police the ice. Physical and capable of setting the tone at both ends of the ice, he could provide a solid platoon with some of the younger crash and bang wingers in our system (Labate, Cramarossa) and take some of the pressure off of Dorsett recovering from his surgery. Cost effective and plays his role well. 

Why the Blues do it: Gaunce gives them a young high energy presence that can get in on the forecheck and play both centre and wing. With a more recent focus on up tempo north south hockey as opposed to the bruising teams of the past few years, St Louis would do well to start retooling on the fly and gearing up for another run with their core. With Reaves having played in 75 games so far this year and at least 60 games in 5 of the last 6 years the Blues should feel comfortable in giving up value for the conditional pick.

Discuss!

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

hell no... this is one of the dumbest proposals Ive seen in a long time. Why would we give up a decent prospect and a pick for a 30year old plug? 

Reaves is by no means a plug lol. He's easily one of the best pure fourth liners in the game. I'm not saying I'd trade Gaunce for him but calling him a plug is absolutely wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Pears said:

Reaves is by no means a plug lol. He's easily one of the best pure fourth liners in the game. I'm not saying I'd trade Gaunce for him but calling him a plug is absolutely wrong. 

Alright, maybe not a plug like Megna but still, we have no need to give up young players for fourth liners.

No because when dorsett becomes healthy again he will patrol the ice for us. If we were to trade Gaunce, a guy who has top 9 potential and is arguably better than Reaves and add a pick is ludicrous. If anything I think we should be targeting White from Minnesota who is a UFA and only costs us money. Then we could form a Gaunce-White-Dorsett line which would be responsible defensively responsible, chip in offence, and could stick up for teammates

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

hell no... this is one of the dumbest proposals Ive seen in a long time. Why would we give up a decent prospect and a pick for a 30year old plug? 

So you're saying that a guy who can't drop the mitts and has no goals in 55 games with no waiver eligibility and a draft pick with a 20-30% shot at producing a player who plays at least 50 NHL games is worth way more than one of the leagues top heavyweights who's made huge steps this year in terms of player development on an affordable contract? The Blues named him as their nominee for the Masterson, I highly doubt they just hand those out to plugs.

1 hour ago, BaerToBo said:

No because when dorsett becomes healthy again he will patrol the ice for us. If we were to trade Gaunce, a guy who has top 9 potential and is arguably better than Reaves and add a pick is ludicrous. If anything I think we should be targeting White from Minnesota who is a UFA and only costs us money. Then we could form a Gaunce-White-Dorsett line which would be responsible defensively responsible, chip in offence, and could stick up for teammates

When has Dorsett ever patrolled the ice? I've loved his game ever since he arrived here but Dorsett has always started more fights than he's finished. Brad Marchand doesn't slew foot someone and then go "oh no I hope Derek Dorsett doesn't come after me". He's a hustle player who plays with an edge, finishes checks and sticks up for teammates but nobody passes up a hit to the numbers in fear of Dorsett. Sandpaper doesn't equal intimidation and Reaves has shown himself to be a guy that can hold his own against the heavyweights of the league.

7 hours ago, Katobaron said:

So you're saying that a guy who can't drop the mitts and has no goals in 55 games with no waiver eligibility and a draft pick with a 20-30% shot at producing a player who plays at least 50 NHL games is worth way more than one of the leagues top heavyweights who's made huge steps this year in terms of player development on an affordable contract? The Blues named him as their nominee for the Masterson, I highly doubt they just hand those out to plugs.

Where are the Canucks currently at? Are we getting younger and rebuilding or wanting to get older and compete? If Benning feels this team needs another Vet he'll get one in Free Agency. Why give away a young Centre who could be a future third line shutdown player with a little offensive potential and a pick which is Bennings bread and butter. It make no sense to trade away young assets for aging Vets. Sign in FA if needed but don't trade for them.

1 minute ago, hatedkid666 said:

Dorsett does that job and he is a better player. We also have Labate.

If anything someone teach Tryamkin to fight

2 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Dorsett does that job and he is a better player. We also have Labate.

If anything someone teach Tryamkin to fight

Could you imagine if Tryamkin could fight as well as Chara?  

Archived