The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Linden:  "Willie's a competitor,. and he thinks about ONE thing,. and that's WINNING".

I think that says it all folks,. WD's emphasis on winning over the past year has, in the eyes of management, been counterproductive to the pace of development.

I find this idea about Willie only thinking about one thing...winning....quite opposite of his deployment of players, especially at certain times of the game.

Sure, blame Willie. We barely had an NHL roster.

What would a different coach have done? Allowed us to finish one place higher? Maybe two?

Bo developed under Willie. Stecher developed under Willie. Hutton too. Tryamkin was turned into an NHLer by Willie.

Not saying I loved the guy or anything, but reeks of scapegoat to me.

1 minute ago, souprshooter said:

Willie's choices of player deployment was questionable at best. Big power player minutes were give to Sedins/Edler/some other useless plug, and he had a frequent love for certain players who suck. Megna, Vey come to mind. Playing Sedins in defensive zone faceoffs or late in the game. I for one am glad he is gone, I can recall most games this season questioning Willies calls during games. Then again, im no NHL coach, but it's just my opinion. 

A lot of us felt the same way.  Goldbobin turns out to be a pretty fair talent.  With WD we might never have seen him -- I don't think he wanted to play Boucher or Goldobin. Next year with Dahlen, Rodin possibly back, and Virtanen here?  WD was not the guy for the change that has to happen next year and the year after.   Sedins are on the way out... even if they last another year the team needs a fresh set of eyes on it.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You are missing a huge but under the radar factor (from a fan mentality). They need to sell hope and progress after three years of regression.

Desjardins did some good things and is a good coach. With a better team that can outscore their defensive shell enough he will likely be a good coach next time around. 

The overriding factor though I think is just the placating of fans plus with a few coaches becoming available maybe they got the guy they want.

I don't doubt that was the reason amigo, I just can't help thinking we have lost the chance of something special. Willie had built up a great relationship and trust with these young players - think what that would have lead to as they approached maturity in 2 or 3 years. It could have made for a real Band of Brothers playoff machine.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You are missing a huge but under the radar factor (from a fan mentality). They need to sell hope and progress after three years of regression.

Desjardins did some good things and is a good coach. With a better team that can outscore their defensive shell enough he will likely be a good coach next time around. 

The overriding factor though I think is just the placating of fans plus with a few coaches becoming available maybe they got the guy they want.

freeking millenials

they are more obsessed with their "feelings" being hurt than having a good hockey club.

every criticism i see of wille can be answered by saying "because he is playing the long game"

the fans need the team to win now and are playing the short game, that's the conflict

If they don't already have the replacement coach in there back pocket this is a very bad move

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Linden:  "Willie's a competitor,. and he thinks about ONE thing,. and that's WINNING".

I think that says it all folks,. WD's emphasis on winning over the past year has, in the eyes of management, been counterproductive to the pace of development.

Isn't it management that has been shoving it down our throats all year up until the last couple weeks that we are going for the playoffs with this barely-NHL calibre roster?

But sure, let's blame it on Willie.

1 minute ago, redhdlois said:

I find this idea about Willie only thinking about one thing...winning....quite opposite of his deployment of players, especially at certain times of the game.

.. Deployment was another issue entirely,. And as questionable.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I honestly wish he'd unleashed a bit more of that in his tenure.

And the odd F bomb in press conferences as well.

Regardless of who replaces him - they'd better be prepared to deal with some of the most ignorant ingrates in the business.

Brian Burke might be the only guy that really dealt with the Vancouver media appropriately.

There is no "Cancucksarmy" here.  There is only an endless battery of weasel insurgency.

Not unlike that which got Gallant fired in Florida.

Botchford, Paterson, Gallagher, Pass It To Poo,  the BoyScouts - seriously - any coach that comes here better be willing to show some teeth.

Fixed that for you. I agree that whomever the coach is, they do away with any niceties with the parasitic press here.  

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Isn't it management that has been shoving it down our throats all year up until the last couple weeks that we are going for the playoffs with this barely-NHL calibre roster?

*Competing for a playoff spot. And it was more than a couple weeks ago.

When Willie got here we were mostly an old team. Now we are mostly  a young team. Willie saw us through the transition but it must be hard to go through that swing. The new coach will start with a young team and go from there.

Just now, J.R. said:

*Competing for a playoff spot.

Doesn't "winning" factor into that? "Willie thinks of one thing... WINNING" Because those were the marching orders he as given. You need to win to compete for a playoff spot.

Just now, alfstonker said:

I don't doubt that was the reason amigo, I just can't help thinking we have lost the chance of something special. Willie had built up a great relationship and trust with these young players - think what that would have lead to as they approached maturity in 2 or 3 years. It could have made for a real Band of Brothers playoff machine.

Very often, NHL head coaches have their rise and success in their second head coaching gig. AV coming here from Montreal was a good example. 

I think Willie has work to do in terms of learning to rely less on his sonetines stubborn initial assessments of players for too long and be willing to find that ability to adapt that all the best coaches seem to have. I personally think he will find that in his next gig.

He showed that he could be a very good coach if his roster can carry his flawed decision making at times. Ours clearly couldn't.

3 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

freeking millenials

they are more obsessed with their "feelings" being hurt than having a good hockey club.

every criticism i see of wille can be answered by saying "because he is playing the long game"

the fans need the team to win now and are playing the short game, that's the conflict

If they don't already have the replacement coach in there back pocket this is a very bad move

I'm a little surprised it took 35 pages before someone blamed millennials. 

3 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

freeking millenials

You have that completely backwards. Desjardins was focusing solely on the short term and winning. Management and most fans seemed to want a focus on the long game and development. 

Willie is not some development king. Any other coach could have done the same or better for the youngsters. It's his atrocious line decisions, minutes, PP that has sucked ever since he took over, Larsen as a forward??,.. should I keep going? 

Doesn't "winning" factor into that? "Willie thinks of one thing... WINNING" Because those were the marching orders he as given. You need to win to compete for a playoff spot.

And those marching orders were changed well before the TDL.

The media would like you to think that they have been shoving it down your throat. They have always been balanced by saying that the future is what is the priority. Trades need to be about long term and so on. As soon as they made the trades at the deadline , Willie should have focussed on development. Our management have preached the importance of the youth for two years.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

And those marching orders were changed well before the TDL.

How do you define "well before"?
To me it sounds like management didn't have a clue until a month ago
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/iain-macintyre-reality-has-set-in-as-benning-says-canucks-will-give-kids-more-ice
It took until March for reality to sink in to them that we aren't a playoff team.

Archived