The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

How'd our blueline get softer when Tryamkin mosly used his size physically by accident? 

He's sound positionally and used his reach well but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. 

i don't know about that. the canucks are perennial soft team. who's to say that the "mean bone" wouldn't come out for another team that would give the guy a chance-- and not because they have to, but they believe in the guy, and know how to coach a guy of his size? you'd think it would be easy to tell him to watch tapes of chara and go out there and do that

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

He's a safe bet to make the team next year, though Virtanen seemed like a safe bet also, not too long ago.  In year end interviews Linden talked about how guys like Boeser have to bring it to training camp to make it on the team.  Though even if you are to count Boeser already it's a pretty sad list after 3 years.  

How many players outside the top 3 or 5 make the NHL as regulars in less than 3 years?

Edit:

The list outside Toronto's top pick for the last three drafts is:

Rinat Valiev - 10 NHL games.

How's that for a sad list?

Their top pick for the past three drafts all had their first full NHL season this year.

50 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

How'd our blueline get softer when Tryamkin mosly used his size physically by accident? 

He's sound positionally and used his reach well but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. 

I remember when the Canucks brought him here at the end of last season and one of the first games he played was against the Ducks, and he was really aggressive and threw lots of big hits. I thought this guy is gonna be great for the team. Huge size and plays with a nasty edge. But he's done practically none of that this season or anything else impressive. And his attitude sucks. He basically dictated the terms for himself. He flat out refused to go on a brief conditioning stint in Utica and was basically like either I'm in the NHL or I go back to Russia. That is not the kind of character you want on a team.

9 minutes ago, Let's Brock 'n' Bo said:

Mr A, please add the right people to help Trevor & Jim out in the office/management group before any more damage is done. 

Money well spent. 

Yours truly,

ex season ticket holder. 

Ps. Willing to return once product and atmosphere returns. 

Maybe start with hiring a guy who has built and been a key part of a championship team like Dean Lombardi as President of Hockey Ops. Move Linden to Vice president and Business relations like Gretzky.

This 3 rookies learning in the job was bad from the start. Unlike Toronto and Edmonton built with good experienced hockey people.

19 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Maybe start with hiring a guy who has built and been a key part of a championship team like Dean Lombardi as President of Hockey Ops. Move Linden to Vice president and Business relations like Gretzky.

This 3 rookies learning in the job was bad from the start. Unlike Toronto and Edmonton built with good experienced hockey people.

....for more than a decade.....

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

Russians are often about the money. I didn't have a problem with the clause if that's what it took to get him to sign. Why leave the KHL to earn 70k in the AHL? The KHL doesn't pay as well as the NHL but is considerably higher than any Euro league. This is why drafting Russians always carries a risk. I suspect his return to the KHL has a great deal to do with his young bride not being happy in a foreign country, so far from home and family, with a new husband that's often away on road trips.

I think people are seriously overreacting.

I think it is more likely that both were homesick and missed their families but certainly it could be a lonely experience for his wife in the circumstances.

Just now, alfstonker said:

I think it is more likely that both were homesick and missed their families but certainly it could be a lonely experience for his wife in the circumstances.

Well when you think about her husband on the road and the language barrier, she can't really even watch TV or listen to the radio to kill time. Making friends for her would have been difficult at best. I'd wager both were homesick, but her in particular being left on her own so much.

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

That picture makes him look such a "bro" LOL 

Yo bruh, lets hit the gym LOL 

its funny cause a friend of mine was vacationing in mexico in the summer last year, and virt was there and was partying the entire time. he even has pics of him and jake. like, bruh, i'm a hockey player lul

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Then shouldn't have been a man and shown up ready to work instead of showing up in poor shape? You know, ready to actually earn that contract.

That's BS he could have out played Larsen by a mile at the start of the season or during that god awful losing streak. But he sat while we got smacked around by big bad Cali teams. Thanks  WD-- Eakins 2.0

22 hours ago, Baggins said:

pssst.... Tryamkin is a different nationality not a different race.....

Was just a figure of speech, although I'm sure there are some people on these internets that would call that racist lol. 

22 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

There seems to be a big gap in Russian player opinions though. You have the Russian guys who came to North America in junior specifically to play in the NHL. Like Nail Yakupov, Goldobin, etc. There's also quite a few Russians in the AHL as well. 

Well let's see about Goldobin. His buddy just left and the Canucks drool. Hopefully he stays but I do not want my teams acquiring Russian born players. Yakupov has impressed me though he could probably be making major bank back home but he wants to play in the NHL. There is no way to tell and it's not worth the risk when you're investing in a player that more than likely is going to bail.

We'll be fine this is just a temporary bummer. 

9 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Most people felt he did play like a champ. Ask Benn 

i think he was rightfully bitter but also homesick 

too bad he did not play junior in Na like Goldy 

things don't always go the way you want them to in life.  Sounds like WD didn't give him ice time because he didn't like him.  Surprise, surprise, the country club still exists!  That said, a player's reaction to unfair treatment can be either to push through and prove the bastards wrong, or give up.  Guess what, life is a country club, and not everybody likes you (3rd person you), and this happens to everyone.  Alex Burrows is a prime example of a player pushing through and proving the bastards wrong.  I'm sorry to see Tryamkin go... ya maybe playing junior in NA would have helped a lot...  Anyways, my point was that I wish he had the resolve that someone like Burrows diid... that is a lot to ask however.   Hope he comes back once he realizes his potential in the KHL - it is better hockey here, so after a few years he may want to come back and test himself against the best again - especially now that he has proven he can do it.

If i was bitter, I would be making another hate WD post... but the reality is that every coach uses ice-time to groom their own culture... WD is no different, but too bad Tryamkin was on the outside looking in, that cost us in this case.  Or maybe Try would have bolted anyways, we just don't know.  Maybe he needs a few years in the KHL until he is 22/23 and matures emotionally

7 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Though even if you are to count Boeser already it's a pretty sad list after 3 years.  

I think you are jumping the gun. The most common age for a player to begin his NHL career is 22.

3 years isn't a fair amounting time for the first draft let alone the second and third.

He has drafted some sure fire nhl players, I count 8 in his first 2 drafts

Virtanen

McCann

Demko 

Tryamkin 

Forsling 

Boeser 

Brisebois 

Gaudette 

(Few outside shots as well)

Screenshot_20170421-082944.png

15 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't think he brought up the Olympics once. I could see it if Sochi was this year. 

How can time not make a difference in negotiation? 

Hey kid, here's a 4 year deal, you'll be set for life no matter what by age 26. No way does he turn that down. And the risk to the club for that would be minimal. 

Rights to a guy that may never come back is worth as much as a CDC quote on ebay. 

They already had plenty of time.  His contract was slated to end this year, so JB knew this was one of the contracts he had to deal with this off-season.  You pointed out that JB knew about Try's concerns for months, so that information would already be considered in the offer.  And, at least one offer was made.  While not uncommon to discuss contracts during the season, in most cases they are done after the team is done playing hockey for the year.  So, that makes it a little under 2 weeks that they would have spent talking.  Unless you can show JB having an "oh, crap" moment, and scrambles to put an offer on the table at the last minute, there are no grounds to suggest JB was not prepared for this negotiation.

"No way does he turn that down"... how the hell do you know that?  He's gonna get paid to play in the KHL too.  Even if it is only at half pay, after you consider cost of living, closeness to family, cultural comfort being back home using and hearing his native language regularly, perhaps this was enough to tip the scales for him, regardless of the contract offer.  AFAIK, we do not know the terms of the contract JB offered nor the one Try signed with the KHL.  

Since the NHL is the premier league and likely his best path to scoring the best contract, if he never comes back. then he was never going to stay here to begin with and money/contract was never the issue.

It can be argued that JB didn't do enough, but without knowing the contract details, and what impact Try's personal feelings really have (whether home-sick or team related), we have no real idea what it would take to get him to sign.  And if he is truly unhappy here, odds are higher that he isn't going to play well, regardless of what he is paid.

Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense for two parties to sign a contract.  Happens all the time in the normal world, and it wouldn't be the first time in sports, too.

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

They already had plenty of time.  His contract was slated to end this year, so JB knew this was one of the contracts he had to deal with this off-season.  You pointed out that JB knew about Try's concerns for months, so that information would already be considered in the offer.  And, at least one offer was made.  While not uncommon to discuss contracts during the season, in most cases they are done after the team is done playing hockey for the year.  So, that makes it a little under 2 weeks that they would have spent talking.  Unless you can show JB having an "oh, crap" moment, and scrambles to put an offer on the table at the last minute, there are no grounds to suggest JB was not prepared for this negotiation.

"No way does he turn that down"... how the hell do you know that?  He's gonna get paid to play in the KHL too.  Even if it is only at half pay, after you consider cost of living, closeness to family, cultural comfort being back home using and hearing his native language regularly, perhaps this was enough to tip the scales for him, regardless of the contract offer.  AFAIK, we do not know the terms of the contract JB offered nor the one Try signed with the KHL.  

Since the NHL is the premier league and likely his best path to scoring the best contract, if he never comes back. then he was never going to stay here to begin with and money/contract was never the issue.

It can be argued that JB didn't do enough, but without knowing the contract details, and what impact Try's personal feelings really have (whether home-sick or team related), we have no real idea what it would take to get him to sign.  And if he is truly unhappy here, odds are higher that he isn't going to play well, regardless of what he is paid.

Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense for two parties to sign a contract.  Happens all the time in the normal world, and it wouldn't be the first time in sports, too.

What we know about the term is it was only 2 years. To me thats not an "all in" offer and maybe Benning was hedging a bit to see if Nik e.g., would continue to develop but I'm left feeling Benning didn't go as far as he could have on an offer. And  thats a real shame, this kid had some unique qualities,  if you're going to take a risk this seems the time to do it. 

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That's BS he could have out played Larsen by a mile at the start of the season or during that god awful losing streak. But he sat while we got smacked around by big bad Cali teams. Thanks  WD-- Eakins 2.0

Need a tissue?

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

What we know about the term is it was only 2 years. To me thats not an "all in" offer and maybe Benning was hedging a bit to see if Nik e.g., would continue to develop but I'm left feeling Benning didn't go as far as he could have on an offer. And  thats a real shame, this kid had some unique qualities,  if you're going to take a risk this seems the time to do it. 

And if the contract is the only disagreement, then your criticism could be valid.  But anything of a personal nature could make all the term-talk moot, and no amount of time or negotiation would make a difference.  Reading more in this thread, it sounds like his wife wasn't happy, being even more alone in a strange place than Try was.  If the wife isn't happy, that's a big freaking deal.

Archived