The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Master List of Connections Travis Green Has Around The League

Hank Moody

8 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Other Notable Connections With Coaches/Management/Media Etc

Kevin Cheveldayoff (GM - Winnipeg Jets) Played together in the AHL for Capital District Islanders

Marc Bergevin (GM - Montreal Canadiens) - Played together in the AHL for the Capital District Islanders

Brad Treliving (GM - Calgary Flames) - Played together in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs

Ron Hextall (GM - Philadelphia Flyers) - Played together in the NHL for the New York Islanders

Randy Carlyle (Head Coach of the Anaheim Ducks) - Was the Head Coach of Travis Green on the Anaheim Ducks

Mike Sullivan (Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins) - Was the Head Coach of Travis Green on the Boston Bruins

Mike Johnston (Head Coach and GM of the Portland Winterhawks) - Was Head Coach when Green was Assistant on the Portland Winterhawks

Dave Hunter (London Knights) - Played together in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs

Lorne Henning (Former Canucks Assistant GM) - Was Travis' Assistant then Head Coach on the New York Islanders

Ray Ferraro (Radio Personality) - Played with Travis Green on the New York Islanders

Jamie McLellan (TV and Radio Personality) - Played with Travis Green on the New York Islanders

Francois Allaire (Goalie Coach - Colorado Avalanche) - Was the Goalie Coach for the Phoenix Coyotes while Travis was there

Rick Bowness (Former Canucks Assistant Coach) - Was the Assistant Coach for the Phoenix Coyotes while Travis played there

Newell Brown (Former Canucks Assistant Coach) - Was the Assistant Coach of Travis Green on Anaheim Ducks 

Michael Nylander (Father of Alex and William Nylander) - Played with Travis Green on the Boston Bruins

Don Hay (Former Coach of Vancouver Giants) - Was Assistant Coach to Travis Green on Anaheim Mighty Ducks

If anyone wants to add anything, let me know!

Paul Maurice- His head coach in Toronto

19 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Thought this could be a fun little exercise to get us going through the offseason.

When Willie D came in, we all saw the infamous Medicine Hat connections that were instantly injected into the lineup. Players like Linden Vey who played under Willie, Emerson Etem, Derek Dorsett, Curtis Valk.

Management has shown they are willing to bring in players the Coach thinks would be a good fit based on their past coaching/being around those players. A lot of people are saying they like Travis Green, he's a really likeable guy, they enjoyed playing/being under him. It's not inconceivable to think there might be some connections that pay off in the near future.

What are some of those potential players on the Travis Green side of things? Let's speculate.

15 years as a NHL Player

New York Islanders (1992-1998)

Players Still Around:

Zdeno Chara

Anaheim Mighty Ducks (1997-1999, 2006-2007)

Players Still Around:

Ryan Getzlaf

Corey Perry

Chris Kunitz

Phoenix Coyotes (1999-2001)

Players Still Around:

Shane Doan

Toronto Maple Leafs (2001 - 2003, 2006-2007)

Players Still Around: 

Matt Stajan

Alexander Steen

Boston Bruins (2003 - 2006) 

Players still around: 

Patrice Bergeron

Mark Stuart

Brad Boyes

Joe Thornton

Zug EV (2007-2008) 

Players still around: 

Raphael Diaz (lol)

(Funny note, Travis was also a Medicine Hat Tiger in 1989-1990)

Assistant Coaching/GM Record

Portland Winterhawks (2008 - 2013)

Notable Players: Travis Ehrdhart, Nino Neiderreiter, Ryan Johansen, Joe Morrow, Riley Boychuk, Sven Baertschi

Head Coaching Record

Portland Winterhawks (2012-2013)

Notable Players: Brendan Leipsic, Nic Petan, Ty Rattie, Troy Rutkowski, Tyler Wotherspoon, Seth Jones, Derrick Pouliot, Oliver Bjorkstrand

Utica Comets (2013-2017)

Notable Players No Longer With Canucks: Frankie Corrado, Nicklas Jensen, Yannick Weber, Jordan Schroeder, Hunter Shinkaruk, Ronalds Kenins, Tom Sestito

Other Notable Connections With Coaches/Management/Media Etc

Kevin Cheveldayoff (GM - Winnipeg Jets) Played together in the AHL for Capital District Islanders

Marc Bergevin (GM - Montreal Canadiens) - Played together in the AHL for the Capital District Islanders

Brad Treliving (GM - Calgary Flames) - Played together in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs

Ron Hextall (GM - Philadelphia Flyers) - Played together in the NHL for the New York Islanders

Randy Carlyle (Head Coach of the Anaheim Ducks) - Was the Head Coach of Travis Green on the Anaheim Ducks

Mike Sullivan (Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins) - Was the Head Coach of Travis Green on the Boston Bruins

Mike Johnston (Head Coach and GM of the Portland Winterhawks) - Was Head Coach when Green was Assistant on the Portland Winterhawks

Dave Hunter (London Knights) - Played together in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs

Lorne Henning (Former Canucks Assistant GM) - Was Travis' Assistant then Head Coach on the New York Islanders

Ray Ferraro (Radio Personality) - Played with Travis Green on the New York Islanders

Jamie McLellan (TV and Radio Personality) - Played with Travis Green on the New York Islanders

Francois Allaire (Goalie Coach - Colorado Avalanche) - Was the Goalie Coach for the Phoenix Coyotes while Travis was there

Rick Bowness (Former Canucks Assistant Coach) - Was the Assistant Coach for the Phoenix Coyotes while Travis played there

Newell Brown (Former Canucks Assistant Coach) - Was the Assistant Coach of Travis Green on Anaheim Ducks 

Michael Nylander (Father of Alex and William Nylander) - Played with Travis Green on the Boston Bruins

Don Hay (Former Coach of Vancouver Giants) - Was Assistant Coach to Travis Green on Anaheim Mighty Ducks

If anyone wants to add anything, let me know!

9265a5654a09663e448d0c9d847bf350.jpg

23 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

His most impressive stat line is his record when leading. The biggest thing for the Canucks under Green will be to get the lead.

UTICA COMETS 2013-14 RECORDS

LEADING AFTER 1ST 11-1-2-3

LEADING AFTER 2ND 15-0-3-0

TIED AFTER 1ST 14-13-1-0

TIED AFTER 2ND 14-6-2-2

TRAILING AFTER 1ST 10-18-2-1

TRAILING AFTER 2ND 6-26-0-2

Very nice analysis. It confirms the general impression that a lot of people have -- that TG plays a relatively defensive style. His teams in Utica really lock things down after getting a lead. However, these numbers are only a bit different from the general pattern in the NHL. I just downloaded comparable data for the entire NHL for 2015-16.

The numbers are

LEADING AFTER 1st:  586-115-68

LEADING AFTER 2nd: 804-61-78

TRAILING AFTER 1st: 184-506-80

TRAILING AFTER 2nd: 139-716-88

Relative to the general NHL pattern, Utica under TG has been a better at locking down after one period and at locking down after two periods. However Utica has been worse than the NHL average at generating points after being down after one period or down after two periods. Interestingly, they were quite good at generating wins after being down, but not good at generating loser points after being down, with a lot of regulation losses. 

In any case, this pattern is consistent with using a relatively defensive style of play. People will say that Utica lacked high offense players who could generate a comeback and that TG did a good job of using the players he had effectively -- if you don't have high end offensive talent your best strategy is to play a "structured" (i.e. defensive) game. That may be true, but it may also be true that Utica players would have scored more and had more comebacks under a more offensive system.

For hypersensitive Canuck supporters who see criticism even when it is not intended, I am not criticizing Green. Quite possibly he did the best possible with the talent he had available. However, I am making the point that the evidence so far shows him to be a relatively defensive coach (i.e. more defensive in his orientation than average). I expect that to continue with the Canucks.

Even so, I do expect the Canucks to score more next year than last year, partly because they will probably have more offensive talent with Goldobin and Boeser and maybe a high draft pick likely added to the mix and Megna and Skille and maybe Chaput and Gaunce subtracted (although I am still hoping for Gaunce to make it). I also expect Green to have a better PP than WD did, who inexplicably left a truly dreadful PP in place all season because he did not want to break up the "chemistry". That is exactly the kind of PP chemistry you do want to break up.

Jamie McLellan (TV and Radio Personality) - Played with Travis Green on the New York Islanders

This is gonna pay MAJOR dividends... jk but I do love Jamie. Always one of the better analysts... don't remember much of his playing years other than being Luongos backup. 

Perhaps with all these connections he can find us a competent GM?! 

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Very nice analysis. It confirms the general impression that a lot of people have -- that TG plays a relatively defensive style. His teams in Utica really lock things down after getting a lead. However, these numbers are only a bit different from the general pattern in the NHL. I just downloaded comparable data for the entire NHL for 2015-16.

The numbers are

LEADING AFTER 1st:  586-115-68

LEADING AFTER 2nd: 804-61-78

TRAILING AFTER 1st: 184-506-80

TRAILING AFTER 2nd: 139-716-88

Relative to the general NHL pattern, Utica under TG has been a better at locking down after one period and at locking down after two periods. However Utica has been worse than the NHL average at generating points after being down after one period or down after two periods. Interestingly, they were quite good at generating wins after being down, but not good at generating loser points after being down, with a lot of regulation losses. 

In any case, this pattern is consistent with using a relatively defensive style of play. People will say that Utica lacked high offense players who could generate a comeback and that TG did a good job of using the players he had effectively -- if you don't have high end offensive talent your best strategy is to play a "structured" (i.e. defensive) game. That may be true, but it may also be true that Utica players would have scored more and had more comebacks under a more offensive system.

For hypersensitive Canuck supporters who see criticism even when it is not intended, I am not criticizing Green. Quite possibly he did the best possible with the talent he had available. However, I am making the point that the evidence so far shows him to be a relatively defensive coach (i.e. more defensive in his orientation than average). I expect that to continue with the Canucks.

Even so, I do expect the Canucks to score more next year than last year, partly because they will probably have more offensive talent with Goldobin and Boeser and maybe a high draft pick likely added to the mix and Megna and Skille and maybe Chaput and Gaunce subtracted (although I am still hoping for Gaunce to make it). I also expect Green to have a better PP than WD did, who inexplicably left a truly dreadful PP in place all season because he did not want to break up the "chemistry". That is exactly the kind of PP chemistry you do want to break up.

In Utica Baer said they always play the same way - up a goal, down a goal they don't change the way they play.  He also spoke of how they always seem to find ways to enter the zone with possession without chipping the puck in and how that fits his game - he's an offensive player.  I think I can find you the link if you want - he goes in a bit more detail from what I can remember.

In Portland it was high powered offence - always pushing the pace.  

"connections"  LOL

if that makes you feel better about another head scratching move from this incompetent " management".  knock yourself out.

lets go around and pick some random player/coach. and find a list of every current NHLer he was teammates with at some point. and automatically conclude they are all his "connections" and will be perfoming favors for or coming to the canucks?

using that logic, The phoenix coyotes coached by gretzky should have won at least 5 Stanley cups. given gretzky's unholy resume/connections.

this might just be the single most pointless thread in CDC. and that's saying a lot

5 hours ago, sam13371337 said:

"connections"  LOL

if that makes you feel better about another head scratching move from this incompetent " management".  knock yourself out.

lets go around and pick some random player/coach. and find a list of every current NHLer he was teammates with at some point. and automatically conclude they are all his "connections" and will be perfoming favors for or coming to the canucks?

using that logic, The phoenix coyotes coached by gretzky should have won at least 5 Stanley cups. given gretzky's unholy resume/connections.

this might just be the single most pointless thread in CDC. and that's saying a lot

Okay 1337 L33T kid I'll knock myself out

Idiot. 

On 4/26/2017 at 4:18 PM, Down by the River said:

Alright, so I went deep on this one, but bear with me.

In 87/88, Butch Goring coached Green on the Spokane Chiefs.

In 2012-13, Green coached Brendan Burke.

Brendan Burke and Butch Goring make up the NYI broadcast duo.

More legitimately, he also coached Paul Bittner and Sbisa (assistant coach).

OMG were getting John Tavares 

Archived