The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus  

532 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, groovy said:

Must admit I do not have a strong opinion on players yet, but will by draft. If it comes down to even (ish) match-ups in talent, I feel we need to take the player with a bit more sandpaper, as the loss of Try and question marks surrounding Jake`s development, has weakened that component in a BIG way. Yes, the game is changing but this is hockey. Need some more grit in the lineup IMHO. Player to be named later.

I don't think you don't need big guys, you just need players who are going to fight for each other. That is the problem with this team being soft; not enough players willing to step up for their teammates. I just don't see that kind of camaraderie in this team right now. They used to have it, but it's not there anymore. 

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see this:

NJ - Hischier

PHI - Patrick

DAL - Mittelstadt

COL - Glass

VAN - Liljegren

I hope not

I agree although I think for Van it will be either Liljegren or Rasmussen whoever they decide is more valuable to the team (leaning toward Rasmussen) come draft day.

Remember when the Oilers had no grit?, just a few young scrawny 1st overall players (Eberle, RNH, Yak, etc). Yes, they eventually got McDavid, and that was huge for them, but I believe bringing in Lucic, Nurse, Kassian, etc made them a playoff team.

Canucks still need big forwards to compliment the young, skilled players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Boeser, Dahlen etc.). Hopefully Virtanen pans out.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Remember when the Oilers had no grit?, just a few young scrawny 1st overall players (Eberle, RNH, Yak, etc). Yes, they eventually got McDavid, and that was huge for them, but I believe bringing in Lucic, Nurse, Kassian, etc made them a playoff team.

Canucks still need big forwards to compliment the young, skilled players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Boeser, Dahlen etc.). Hopefully Virtanen pans out.

Yep, we got skilled play makers in Baertschi and Goldobin,  We got goal scorers in Boeser and Dalhen (3rd in goals in Swe-1),  We need some edge and strength in that top 6.

If were so concerned about skill, take a skilled offensive center in chekhovich with our CJB pick. Who out preformed both Necas and mittelstadt at the WCJ-18

25 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep, we got skilled play makers in Baertschi and Goldobin,  We got goal scorers in Boeser and Dalhen (3rd in goals in Swe-1),  We need some edge and strength in that top 6.

If were so concerned about skill, take a skilled offensive center in chekhovich with our CJB pick. Who out preformed both Necas and mittelstadt at the WCJ-18

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think I just said that (more or less).

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Could Patrick or Hischier fall to us?  Patrick's history of injury; Hisher's size??  Maybe, Hischier goes at one, then Middlestadt (US guy to Philly) then two d, and then Patrick falls into our laps?  Too wishful??

Not a chance. 

We'd be lucky to get Vilardi. I think we should try and move up

1 minute ago, morrissex95 said:

Not a chance. 

We'd be lucky to get Vilardi. I think we should try and move up

Tanev to Jersey?  They might want to replace the hole left when they traded Larsson?  Tanev and our fifth overall and Goldobin? for the first overall?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tanev to Jersey?  They might want to replace the hole left when they traded Larsson?  Tanev and our fifth overall and Goldobin? for the first overall?

I'd rather have Vilardi then Hischier or Patrick all we'd have to do is move up one or two spots to get him for sure. 

Trade CBJ 2nd plus our 1st to get 4th or 5th. Tanev is worth more then what we'd be trading him for. 

Losing Tryamkin was a huge blow. Opponents were very aware when he was on the ice, that intimidation factor. I would be happy with Vilardi, Glass or Tippett at the draft. Although, I highly doubt we get Tippett, unless JB trades down.

Mittelstadt, I'm not keen on, only because his great stats are from playing in high school. It's too small a sample size of what he could be. He might be amazing, or he might struggle playing against men, especially in the world's best league. We don't know yet. 

Gaunce's Player Profile in 2012:

Brendan Gaunce has great vision, skating ability, hockey sense, a pro calibre shot, and unbelievable leadership qualities on and off the ice. He is the younger brother of Colorado Avalanche prospect Cameron Gaunce, and will most likely be selected in the first twenty picks of the 2012 NHL Draft. He was the highest-scoring AAA minor midget hockey player in Ontario in his OHL draft year with 55 goals and 93 assists for 148 points in 86 games with the Markham Waxers. In his rookie year with the Belleville Bulls, Gaunce had 36 points in 65 games, and will be relied on heavily in the 2011-2012 season. One of Brendan's role models growing up was Brendan Shanahan. Considering his size, Gaunce is an above average skater, however it will need to be improved to be a star at the next level.

I got a kick out of this. Imagine, Gaunce scoring 55 goals in a season lol

Not so easy in the NHL.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like that proposal Alf, but this could be a draft year where the 5th overall pick is the best out of the draft..

What I predict:

NJ - Patrick

PHI - Hischier

DAL - Mittlestadt

COL - Liljegren

VAN - Glass

I don't see the Avs drafting a centerman, especially with Duchene, MacKinnon, and Jost. They've got good young forwards but they lack a top-end defensive prospect. I could also see them trading down or acquiring another first round pick to get Cal Foote.

Dallas is in that stage where they could go "all-in". There is a high chance that they may trade the pick for a top goaltender or disgruntled young forward that can step in and make a difference (ie. Drouin). If not, they will likely draft Mittlestadt (arguably has one of the highest ceilings) who will be able to contribute in a few year's time.

For the Canucks, it will come down to either Glass or Vilardi. I think they're both pretty similar but the edge will go to Glass.

Archived