The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus  

532 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This draft is going to be very heavy on middle-6 centers. We need one of those guys to stretch to a top-6 center, ideally 1st line but at the least someone who can take pressure off Horvat.

Vilardi, Mittelstatd, Glass, Necas and Petterson all fit that role. Rasmussen to me doesn't bring enough offence but would be a great 3C.

Guys like Keller and Jost have proven that you can get true elite first line centers in later top-10 picks which is why drafting is HUGE. Someone like Mittelstatd, Glass or Necas could easily end up being that sort of player.

2016 was a WAY deeper draft, so I dunno if that makes it proven. Also both of them combined have played something like 10 NHL games so I don't categorize them as first line centres, let alone "elite" just yet. 

We will definitely be relying heavily on JB to pick the centre with the highest ceiling that turns out to be a foundational part of the Canucks going forward. 

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It would be nice to build a rock solid D, but who's going to put the puck in the net? Once Hank retires we have Sutter and Horvat as our top 2 centers. That's too weak to compete with much deeper teams in our division.

This is the draft for centers. I'd rather try and get a top D-man with our two 2nd round picks, or even in next years draft.

Ya we still gotta get that stud goal scorer. 

Although I put Mittelstadt first I think Glass is the better pick. I like Vilardi a lot, but I realized that's only because he reminds me of Horvat. I think we need to diversify our skill set and pick a center who compliments Horvat which is why I went Mittelstadt as my first choice. A creative, elusive, center who projects to be a creative playmaker at the next level. He kinda reminds me of a more dynamic Backstrom.

My sleeper pick is Suzuki. He's one of the youngest of his draft class and stylistically I get Crosby vibes from him. By that I mean he plays like an elite grinder. Suzuki has tons of skill and can carry play but he's so tenacious and aggressive on the walls and in the corners. He just somehow always seems to find the puck in the middle of the madness. Obviously he's not close to Crosby's skill level, but he definitely plays like him. My point is he plays a style that will transition nicely to the NHL. 

Also as one of the youngest in his draft class he put up 96 points in 65 games. He's 5 ft 11 and 183 lbs so he's not small, but definitely has room to grow/fillout but you have to remember this guy is nearly a year younger than some of his counterparts. I just like the way he's trending. He's gonna be that player who put up incredible numbers his draft +1 year and people are gonna wonder why he was drafted so late. Of course this is only my opinion of my short viewing of the kid, but I think he has the tools to be a very good top 6 center in the NHL. 

Glass -  will only improve, fill out and get stronger because of his work ethic, potential foundational player

Vilardi - just coming from a major injury so will bounce back next season

Mittelstadt - probably highest ceiling of this group but I think he pulls a Parise/Suter part way thru his career or worse

Klim Kostin - no because of Russian factor

10 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Glass -  will only improve, fill out and get stronger because of his work ethic, potential foundational player

Vilardi - just coming from a major injury so will bounce back next season

Mittelstadt - probably highest ceiling of this group but I think he pulls a Parise/Suter part way thru his career or worse

Klim Kostin - no because of Russian factor

Maybe we could move our number five and Tanev to move up to one or two?  Jersey might want to replace Larsson, and they could get a real good forward at five anyway.

I like Glass at #5 he has a big frame and has time to fill out to a bigger size. He's fast can make plays and is a smart player. I like Vilardi but not every player can fix his skating. Bo is an exception he always had the power in his legs but didnt know how to utilize them where as Vilardi seems to lack the power and the movement. 

Glass, Vilardi, Mittlestadt.  Mittelstadt will likely be grabbed at #3 or #4 even though Dallas needs D and no D is worth picking before #5.

No to Rasmussen.

Perhaps Vancouver can bargain with Dallas for #5 + Tanev for their #3 so Canucks can get their centre.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we could move our number five and Tanev to move up to one or two?  Jersey might want to replace Larsson, and they could get a real good forward at five anyway.

I'd rather keep #5 b/c we will get a good player and trade Tanev for an additional pick/prospect.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This draft is going to be very heavy on middle-6 centers. We need one of those guys to stretch to a top-6 center, ideally 1st line but at the least someone who can take pressure off Horvat.

Vilardi, Mittelstatd, Glass, Necas and Petterson all fit that role. Rasmussen to me doesn't bring enough offence but would be a great 3C.

Guys like Keller and Jost have proven that you can get true elite first line centers in later top-10 picks which is why drafting is HUGE. Someone like Mittelstatd, Glass or Necas could easily end up being that sort of player.

That's a pretty bold claim for two guys that have a combined 9 NHL games played,  They have a long..... very long ways to go to prove that they are elite first line centers. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You want a big reward though it has to come with some amount of risk.

Safe picks are all well and good, but we don't need safe middle six players at this point. We need a player that exceeds expectations by taking their game to an elite level.

Mittelstadt just has something in his game that makes me think he can be a dominant player with the right development. I don't get that sense as much with Glass and Vilardi. I see them as very good second liner centers, but we already have that in Horvat.

I say boom or bust. We already got screwed out of our franchise center, might as well roll the dice on the guy with the highest ceiling.

Too many people get caught us with flash. 

The best #1 centers in the game (outside of generational talents (ie crosby, McJesus) at the strong all around players that have similar games to (glass/vilardi).......Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Tavares, Pavelski, Getzlaf, Johansen, Scheifele, Barkov

if you're looking for flash and pure offensive, find that player on the wing (kessel, Kane, Kucherov, Panarin, Tarasenko, Skinner, Gaudreau)

There is a reason why Marner and Nylander are playing on the wings,  you want your centers to be all around players. That is likely the same reason Bobby mac said Mittelstadt will likely make the NHL as a winger not a center.

12 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Just a question, how do you know that he played sheltered minutes?  

From all reports I heard he was a guy that improved his linemates corsi constantly, he had 18 different linemates thru the season due to injuries and was one of Windsors best players against the Knights.  

EmW

The corsi stat is fair, as I mentioned previously. From what I understand, there were multiple Cs that were playing harder minutes against higher opposition, allowing Gabe to be deployed against weaker players. Spitfires connoisseurs, let me know if this is off. 

6 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Surprised at the lack of love for Pettersson. He has high hockey IQ and his hands are just as good as Mittelstadt's. He's slight but he can make people look pretty foolish. 

Plus, he put up amazing numbers in Allsvenskan. He's a risky pick but could a top line player if he can add on some weight.

This draft is driving me nuts; so many good players to be had at 5th.

He's in that next tier of REALLY talented guys who have more risk. As I've said a few times on here, I'd love to get another pick somewhere in that 6-15 area and take one of Necas/Makar/Liljegrin/Suzuki/Pettersson (best of whoever's left at wherever we can nab that pick). 

Sadly, we can't draft all the players :lol:

18 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

1. Glass

2. Mittelstadt

3. Makar

Do not want

Vilardi

Rasmussen

Also who said in 2015 that they didn't want Brock?

You got 4 positive votes for saying you don't want Vilardi. Goes to show you how knowledgeable the fan base is. 

13 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

You got 4 positive votes for saying you don't want Vilardi. Goes to show you how knowledgeable the fan base is. 

Is it wrong for me to have an opinion on a player? I am pretty sure some knowledgeable NHL executives do not have him high on their draft boards.  

Archived