The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pepe The Frog Is Dead

SabreFan1

I only became aware of the whole Pepe meme about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Pepe the Frog, the meme that was transformed from a "once peaceful frog dude" into a symbol commonly appropriated by racist or bigoted internet memes, has croaked.

Pepe's inventor, artist and illustrator Matt Furie, drew the green frog in an open casket as part of a one-page strip for publisher Fantagraphics Books on Saturday marking Free Comic Book Day.

There's more to the story here:  http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/pepe-frog-dead-creator-kills-meme-absorbed-far-right-n756281

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Nah, he's still alive: NEWS_2016_year_in_review-NATHAN_CHANTHE_

So what's wrong with Jordan Petersen? He looks like a decent guy who won't bow to the madness political correctness these days. We need many more like him.

He is a rarity these days a university professor somewhere in eastern Canada (can't remember where right now)  who actually has some common sense. There are lots of clips from him on Youtube.

12 minutes ago, inane said:

Who? 

41 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

is this another french joke.?

Actually, no.  In a nutshell, the internet took a comic meme character and turned it into a hate symbol so Pepe's creator "killed off" the character.  However like others here have said, you can't kill an internet meme.  They have to die on their own.

3 hours ago, gerry35 said:

So what's wrong with Jordan Petersen? He looks like a decent guy who won't bow to the madness political correctness these days. We need many more like him.

I've got no problems with Peterson. I'm not sure if what I said somehow implied I did. I enjoy listening to him speak and lecture on free speech and psychology from time to time. He's a breath of fresh air in our culture.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Actually, no.  In a nutshell, the internet took a comic meme character and turned it into a hate symbol so Pepe's creator "killed off" the character.  However like others here have said, you can't kill an internet meme.  They have to die on their own.

To my knowledge, this isn't the first time this guy had had problems with his character. It's ironic that a character that a leftist person made became the mascot for the far right, and Pepe's inventor has tried to change that in the past. Looks like he resorted to "killing" it, as though that could possible deter anyone.

Pepe was used in all kinds of memes from people with all political orientations. Most of the memes he was in weren't even political. He was never a 'symbol of hate' until Hillary inexplicably called him one.  Then the Alt-Right, largely composed of trolls, co-opted Pepe as their own.

Its like a self fulfilling prophecy.

20 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Pepe was used in all kinds of memes from people with all political orientations. Most of the memes he was in weren't even political. He was never a 'symbol of hate' until Hillary inexplicably called him one.  Then the Alt-Right, largely composed of trolls, co-opted Pepe as their own.

Its like a self fulfilling prophecy.

As far as I know Hillary has never spoken about the cartoon frog, an article from a writer that called it an alt-right symbol was posted by her campaign on their website and that's how it gained a bit of traction. The best way to kill a meme is to find another use for it. If the meme is pervasive rather than just an alt-right symbol then it loses all meaning.

Archived