The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

i quit - have You?

bushdog

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been very happy with the Roku since I cancelled the cable service.  This NHL TV and Netflix and other programs are great on the Roku, but the Habs are losing right now, so I put it on mute, and called the cable company to inquire about the TV only charges applied to my Internet only service with them, and got it all squared away - great great.

Just got cable back last month.  Had been streaming everything for the past 4 years but Shaw called me and for $5 more I got upgraded internet and cable for 2 years.  So for the $5 difference I figured what the hell, just makes it easier for me not to have to stream sports.

We get our cable/internet all done up as a package during a promo so its actually pretty cheap.  When the promo runs out I will have my wife phone down on the warpath and get it re-upped as the same deal, its worked two times in a row.

Also running Netflix for watching the odd movie (although in Canada, honestly its pretty bad and don't really understand what all the fuss is about).

Was off cable for years.

Really only needed TV for hockey. 

I can remember being like 19 or so and moving to Whitehorse with one of those crappy old tvs without rabbit ears. It was in April I'm guessing, because I spent an hour trying to get a signal from CBC to watch the Canucks vs Avalanche in 1996. Eventually I grabbed the tin foil and connected the coaxial connector to the metal on the room's electric heating and got signal enough to watch the Canucks lose to that powerhouse Avalanche team. When I moved to GP for work, we bought an acreage and were stuck with either coronation street or hockey with no cable. That's when I discovered satellite and bought those NHL packages, but stayed at minimum programming for all the other stuff. 

I just broke down and got Telus and it's super expensive and sucks, but I watched all games on Saturday, simultaneously, and the dent in my couch is expected to get deeper for it. Stayed off the cable for years, now I have it for internet and hockey. Can't believe the crap on TV these days. 

• 4 months later...
On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, Tre Mac said:

I got a huge package.

I love quoting myself sometimes.

Cutting my cable today.  My bills are astronomical and I rarely watch tv.  What are the options for watching Canucks with no cable(if they're any)?

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ungh I pay about$170 a month for internet and tv through Telus.  The misses has her shows that she loves on cable + hbo for the others.  I like sports.  

Holy crap!  Now I don't have many channels, basically just news and sports, no HBO or anything but Shaw gave me the 150 internet + tv and I am at $94/month I think.  I was paying $80 before just for internet (slower too) and got this just so I could get to most sports easier than finding quality streams.  

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ungh I pay about$170 a month for internet and tv through Telus.  The misses has her shows that she loves on cable + hbo for the others.  I like sports.  

I'm with Shaw and I just upgraded to their highest internet speed (Internet 150) plus updated my TV package to include all the channels I want and I'm paying less than you for a year per month..

Can't really cut out cable considering I watch TV for sports, my TV shows, and cartoons and shows for my kid

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Holy crap!  Now I don't have many channels, basically just news and sports, no HBO or anything but Shaw gave me the 150 internet + tv and I am at $94/month I think.  I was paying $80 before just for internet (slower too) and got this just so I could get to most sports easier than finding quality streams.  

Likewise... I'm at about $110 a month and I just upgraded to Internet 150 + TV and I was able to switch out channels to have the theme packs I want... Now I got Sportsnet and TSN all together along with the other channels I need..

How are you at below $100 a month?

1 minute ago, Apple Juice said:

Likewise... I'm at about $120 a month and I just upgraded to Internet 150 + TV and I was able to switch out channels to have the theme packs I want... Now I got Sportsnet and TSN all together along with the other channels I need

Yea if it weren't for Whitecaps and Lions I probably would have gone back to just internet but finding streams online for them are hard as hell.  Can get NHL and NFL no problem but for the bit extra, plus I do like to sit and watch the news at times, it was worth it to continue with cable. 

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yea if it weren't for Whitecaps and Lions I probably would have gone back to just internet but finding streams online for them are hard as hell.  Can get NHL and NFL no problem but for the bit extra, plus I do like to sit and watch the news at times, it was worth it to continue with cable. 

What channels do you have though? How come you're below $100 a month when it sounds like we have the same package?

2 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

What channels do you have though? How come you're below $100 a month when it sounds like we have the same package?

Small TV Pick 4

Current TV plan channels  Print

• 002 - CBC Vancouver
  • 003 - CTV News Channel SD
  • 005 - OMNI BC
  • 006 - Knowledge Network
  • 007 - CBS Seattle
  • 008 - Global BC
  • 009 - CTV BC
  • 010 - Joytv
  • 011 - ICI Tele Colombie-Britannique (CBUFT)
  • 012 - CTV Two Vancouver Island
  • 013 - City Vancouver (CKVU)
  • 014 - CHEK Victoria
  • 015 - NBC Seattle
  • 016 - Sportsnet Pacific
  • 017 - ABC Seattle
  • 018 - Sportsnet 360
  • 019 - FOX Seattle
  • 020 - TSN 1
  • 022 - PBS Seattle
  • 025 - TV5 (West)
  • 039 - Bravo
  • 044 - Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
  • 049 - American Movie Classics
  • 051 - TMN Encore 2 W
  • 054 - TSC Today's Shopping Choice
  • 063 - TMN Encore W
  • 064 - TMN Encore 2 W
  • 068 - E!
  • 082 - MeTV (KVOS Seattle)
  • 089 - Silver Screen Classics
  • 090 - Rewind
  • 101 - MovieTime
  • 103 - Action
  • 104 - Lifetime
  • 108 - Documentary Channel
  • 116 - Shaw Multicultural Channel
  • 118 - APTN (West)
  • 119 - The Weather Network
  • 121 - Much
  • 123 - CPAC
  • 124 - BC Legislature
  • 125 - TVA West (CFTM)
  • 126 - RDI
  • 127 - IFC
  • 144 - Golf Channel
  • 145 - SportsNet - West (Blackout)
  • 146 - SportsNet - Ontario (Blackout)
  • 150 - NFL Network
  • 155 - Game TV
  • 156 - FX
  • 159 - Sportsnet One
  • 166 - Daystar
  • 171 - TSC Today's Shopping Choice
  • 178 - Vintage TV
  • 181 - TSN 1
  • 182 - TSN 2
  • 183 - TSN 3 (Prairies Blackout)
  • 184 - TSN 4 (Ontario Blackout)
  • 185 - TSN 5 (Ottawa Blackout)
  • 197 - OMNI Pacific
  • 199 - TSC Today's Shopping Choice
  • 200 - ABC Seattle HD
  • 201 - CBS Seattle HD
  • 202 - NBC Seattle HD
  • 203 - FOX Seattle HD
  • 204 - PBS Seattle HD
  • 209 - CBC Vancouver HD
  • 210 - CTV BC HD
  • 211 - Global BC HD
  • 212 - CTV Two Vancouver Island HD
  • 213 - City Vancouver HD (CKVUD)
  • 214 - OMNI BC HD
  • 215 - CHEK Victoria HD
  • 223 - Sportsnet Pacific HD
  • 224 - Sportsnet One HD
  • 228 - Weather Network HD BC
  • 229 - APTN HD
  • 230 - Knowledge Network HD
  • 231 - Sportsnet 360 HD
  • 233 - Golf Channel HD
  • 236 - TSN 1 HD
  • 237 - TSN 2 HD
  • 238 - TSN 3 HD (Prairies Blackout)
  • 239 - TSN 4 HD (Ontario Blackout)
  • 240 - TSN 5 HD (Ottawa Blackout)
  • 250 - Action HD
  • 253 - Lifetime HD
  • 260 - TMN Encore W HD
  • 261 - AMC HD
  • 262 - MovieTime HD
  • 265 - FXX HD
  • 267 - FX HD
  • 268 - TMN Encore 2 W HD
  • 273 - Bravo HD
  • 302 - Sportsnet ONE Companion HD - A
  • 304 - Sportsnet ONE Companion HD - Overflow
  • 326 - Sportsnet ONE Companion SD - A
  • 327 - Sportsnet ONE Companion SD - Overflow

And then a bunch of those stingray channels that I have never put on.  I just got called one time from them, offered this package and they asked what channels I wanted and said sports and news and this is what I got. 

Archived