The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer elected Conservative Party leader

Ryan Strome

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

hilarious. The CPC has conceded the next election. This is what happens when you let the social conservatives run the show. 

Lol you claimed constantly O'Leary would win. Maybe we should give Scheer a chance and not put much stock in your opinion.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol you claimed constantly O'Leary would win. Maybe we should give Scheer a chance and not put much stock in your opinion.

LOL yourself champ. O'Leary himself said he would have won, but he didn't think he could be Trudeau so he stepped out. Have fun with Harper-light. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

LOL yourself champ. O'Leary himself said he would have won, but he didn't think he could be Trudeau so he stepped out. Have fun with Harper-light. 

Wow an arrogant O'Leary said he would win... The guy is a clown and you believe him.:lol:

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Do you honestly buy that reasoning? He stepped down because he was out of his depth and realized the celebrity schtick didn't have the same appeal as below the 49th parallel. 

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

He's probably the safest/best pick for Conservatives. Probably a Stephen Harper-light without the smarmy-ness and unwillingness to answer questions from journos. 

But he is also anti-abortion, which I wonder how that will go down.

I would have to check it out again but I believe at around 50% of Canadian's are pro life.

5 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I would have to check it out again but I believe at around 50% of Canadian's are pro life.

Its not your fault, because Global's headline was dogsh!t, but it is more like 11% of Canadians DO NOT support abortion.

"Eight per cent believe it “should not be permitted under any circumstances except when the life of the mother is in danger.” Three per cent of respondents think abortion “should never be permitted, no matter what circumstance exists.”

57% think abortion should be permitted in any circumstance and another approximately 25% believe it should be permitted in certain circumstances.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2535846/6-in-10-canadians-support-abortion-under-any-circumstances-ipsos-poll/

EDIT; They only sampled from 1,000 CDNs, which is probably unlikely to generalize to the population.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

O'Leary probably wouldn't have won the Conservative nomination and he said that to save face.

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

You mean anti-abortion.

And I would have to check again but I believe that statement is around 100% false.

Edit:

(I checked for you)

The poll found that 49% of Canadians think abortion “should be permitted whenever a woman decides she wants one.” Another 45% said abortion should “be permitted in certain circumstances.”

Just six per cent said it “should not be permitted under any circumstances.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/new-poll-shows-most-canadians-support-abortion-with-some-restrictions

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

If he doesn't think he could beat a silver-spoon trust fund boy who's never even held a real job, that speaks quite a bit about himself... or more likely Canadian voters in general.

Bernier probably had a better chance of beating Trudeau, as he would have done better with the French vote than Scheer likely will. However, I like Scheers stance on firearms rights better than Bernier's. Only time will tell whether he will be able to beat out Trudeau next election. Hopefully all the people who voted him in just because they disliked Harper realize what a mistake that was by then. 

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Do you honestly buy that reasoning? He stepped down because he was out of his depth and realized the celebrity schtick didn't have the same appeal as below the 49th parallel. 

its part of his calculation for sure, and also why Rona's jumping ship for a job in the US. This was an "in the bubble" choice made by a large showing of social conservatives, which will play like lead balloon in much of the country. The moniker of "Harper-light" will stick. Sheer's got the personality of a day old ham sandwich. This was a really bad choice, but likely gives a chance to Mulroney's daughter 4 years from now if she can leave the social conservatism out of it. 

Archived