The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer elected Conservative Party leader

Ryan Strome

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

He's probably the safest/best pick for Conservatives. Probably a Stephen Harper-light without the smarmy-ness and unwillingness to answer questions from journos. 

But he is also anti-abortion, which I wonder how that will go down.

Nothing will ever come from that.  The issue is already closed with pretty much zero chance of it ever opening again.  Abortions are legal. 

As for his personal views, I can care less.  I don't care if he's pro-life, thinks that euthanasia is great, or even believes that Xenu will come from space..... no politician nowadays have the power to erode anything that's in our charter.  As long as the person is fiscally responsible and govern with common sense, that's all that matters IMO. 

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doesn't really matter who leads the Conservatives.

Trudeau's Liberals will mop the floor with them.

Justin is obviously not as good as his father but give him time. 

:lol:

Justin Trudeau left out as G7 leaders huddle

https://www.rt.com/viral/389973-justin-trudeau-g7-summit/

Trudeau is a tool even the g7 leaders agree.

I actually like Scheer

Problem is, his entire career he hasn't had an original thought outside of the party line and built his foundation on being told what to to.  He was easily the most biased Speaker of the house since What's his name from the early 70's

Everything he has done his entire political career is simply what he was told to, he made a mockery at times of his position as Speaker by completely ignoring house protocol to side with his party.

While I like him, he has a VERY long road to travel before he can show himself as worthy of being leader of a party let alone a government.  We already have Trudeau to show us the proof of that

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Nothing will ever come from that.  The issue is already closed with pretty much zero chance of it ever opening again.  Abortions are legal. 

As for his personal views, I can care less.  I don't care if he's pro-life, thinks that euthanasia is great, or even believes that Xenu will come from space..... no politician nowadays have the power to erode anything that's in our charter.  As long as the person is fiscally responsible and govern with common sense, that's all that matters IMO. 

This is not at all true. The very first section of the charter says that every single right in the charter can be violated given conditions are met. 

Can he, for example, completely remove section 15 of the Charter? No. But he can influence how it is interpreted and put into practice, meaning that he could influence whether individuals with illnesses can elect for euthanasia.

Now, I don't think he'll specifically target that particular issue. But, if he were to become PM, he can certainly exert influence, and it is his personal views that will, at least potentially, help guide his decision making.

That said, at least he isn't going to stand in the way of marijuana, no matter how forcefully his wife and the REAL Women of Canada protest.

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I actually like Scheer

Problem is, his entire career he hasn't had an original thought outside of the party line and built his foundation on being told what to to.  He was easily the most biased Speaker of the house since What's his name from the early 70's

Everything he has done his entire political career is simply what he was told to, he made a mockery at times of his position as Speaker by completely ignoring house protocol to side with his party.

While I like him, he has a VERY long road to travel before he can show himself as worthy of being leader of a party let alone a government.  We already have Trudeau to show us the proof of that

I have never seen him not smiling.

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If he doesn't think he could beat a silver-spoon trust fund boy who's never even held a real job, that speaks quite a bit about himself... or more likely Canadian voters in general.

Sheer's been in gov't since he was 25... he's never had a real world job either. I don't think that he's going to be able to contain the social con side like Harper did, and thats never good for the conservatives. Its been a long time since there's been a "PC" party and this certainly doesn't help. I just don't see how this guy is going to bring back any old PC voters. 

Trying to move Canada back to the 1950's.  Conservatives are out touch with Canadians. 

http://www.theprovince.com/news/national/policies+andrew+scheer+liberals+will+them+attack/13406396/story.html

“He has opposed equal marriage and a woman’s right to choose, and has no plan to grow the economy or support Canada’s middle class,” it reads.

But Scheer’s victory came as a surprise to the Liberals and NDP, who had been banking on a Bernier win.

On Friday evening at the convention, the Liberal Party was already handing out gift bags with a pair of scissors to illustrate Bernier’s planned cuts to federal program spending, and a wedge of Oka cheese in reference to his promise to dismantle supply management.  

But by Saturday night they had rallied, and were already rolling out plan B — erasers with Harper’s face on them.

“Andrew Scheer can’t erase the past,” the erasers read

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sheer's been in gov't since he was 25... he's never had a real world job either. I don't think that he's going to be able to contain the social con side like Harper did, and thats never good for the conservatives. Its been a long time since there's been a "PC" party and this certainly doesn't help. I just don't see how this guy is going to bring back any old PC voters. 

This is before the conservatives had a leader.

Liberals and Conservatives tied in nationwide poll, Grits still strong in Central Canada, but losing younger voters

https://www.hilltimes.com/2017/02/09/liberals-conservatives-tied-nationwide-poll/95816

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trying to move Canada back to the 1950's.  Conservatives are out touch with Canadians. 

http://www.theprovince.com/news/national/policies+andrew+scheer+liberals+will+them+attack/13406396/story.html

“He has opposed equal marriage and a woman’s right to choose, and has no plan to grow the economy or support Canada’s middle class,” it reads.

But Scheer’s victory came as a surprise to the Liberals and NDP, who had been banking on a Bernier win.

On Friday evening at the convention, the Liberal Party was already handing out gift bags with a pair of scissors to illustrate Bernier’s planned cuts to federal program spending, and a wedge of Oka cheese in reference to his promise to dismantle supply management.  

But by Saturday night they had rallied, and were already rolling out plan B — erasers with Harper’s face on them.

Scheer along with every other conservative(except Chong the liberal) want to cut the gst on heating your home and scrap the carbon tax. Those policies do help the middle class. Trudeau and the liberals are the worst government for the middle class.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

the biggest risk to Trudeau in 2019 now will be voter apathy. I don't care what social con's want to do with their time, but they have no right telling the rest of us how to live our lives or who is an equal person under the law. Most of Canada agrees with that. Harper and his legacy guy make me miss Mulroney. 

10 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Even a cardboard can beat Justin.

Do you mean a cardboard box or more like a cardboard cut - out ?

Just curious. 

I think the Liberal Party under JT will win a MASSIVE majority next election.

Really isn't any other party that has a  credible leader is there ? 

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Scheer along with every other conservative(except Chong the liberal) want to cut the gst on heating your home and scrap the carbon tax. Those policies do help the middle class. Trudeau and the liberals are the worst government for the middle class.

Comments like this are silly to make. There is no such thing as 'worst' or 'best' for the middle class. People need to stop acting like every person sitting in the middle class is a homogenous group. Two people, both in the middle class, may have drastically different values.

I imagine you believe that Trudeau is worst for the middle class because you believe that his policies result in less disposable income. This requires the assumption that (1) the middle class indeed does have less disposable income because of Trudeau (I don't know that this is true) and (2) that the most important value to every single middle class person is having more disposable income.

Let me give you an example. I'm a tenure-track professor at a University. A conservative government would likely result in me paying less tax, meaning more income, better able to support my family and myself, their needs, wants etc. However, an NDP/Green government, while likely increasing my tax dollars, would also be more likely to increase research funding. My salary reviews, promotion to tenure, etc. are heavily based on (1) my ability to bring in funding and (2) my ability to publish via that funding. So, while NDP may tax me more, they may help me get promotion quicker. Which one is better for me: Conservative or NDP? I don't know that it is that clear-cut.

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you mean a cardboard box or more like a cardboard cut - out ?

Just curious. 

I think the Liberal Party under JT will win a MASSIVE majority next election.

Really isn't any other party that has a  credible leader is there ? 

Either one..

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Let me give you an example. I'm a tenure-track professor at a University. A conservative government would likely result in me paying less tax, meaning more income, better able to support my family and myself, their needs, wants etc. However, an NDP/Green government, while likely increasing my tax dollars, would also be more likely to increase research funding. My salary reviews, promotion to tenure, etc. are heavily based on (1) my ability to bring in funding and (2) my ability to publish via that funding. So, while NDP may tax me more, they may help me get promotion quicker. Which one is better for me: Conservative or NDP? I don't know that it is that clear-cut.

I am ok with paying more taxes to live in a country that offers better healthcare, education to its citizens. Also, i am happy to pay more taxes that allow women the right to choose and encourages equality for all its citizens....

Archived