The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Conditional Dallas trade (if Benning is serious about a rebuild)

Trade:  Vancouver trades Erik Gudbranson (conditional to re-signing to a multi-year medium sized cap hit, 4.5M?) to the Dallas Stars for the 3rd overall draft pick (conditional to the trade taking place before the expansion draft). 

Why Dallas does this:  The core players in Dallas are just hitting their prime (Benn, Seguin, Klingberg) and will be there for the next 6 years or so.  A high draft pick from this years draft will not reach his prime in time to be as helpful to that core group as Erik Gudbranson would be.   Dallas is also very thin on Defense, and could use a bigger framed player that is a legit top 3 defenseman in Dallas.  Of course Dallas is only remotely interest if Gudbranson signs an extension that would not hinder the teams salary structure.  Depending on the contract details Vancouver may have to add a 2nd to 4th round pick to sweeten the pot. 

Why Vancouver does this:  If Benning and Linden are serious about rebuilding the core, they have to make moves now.  Bo Horvat is the oldest prospect worth building around, and Bo's estimated to enter his prime in about 3 years.  Draft picks from this draft will be close enough in age to Bo's career that they could seriously be future core players.  It is a weaker draft, but having 2 picks in the top 5 is still very impactful.  Of course loosing Gudbranson makes Vancouver a worse team going into 2017, however if Vancouver makes this trade before the expansion draft, they would be able to protect Sbisa.  Keeping Sbisa is a benefit, as he has proven to be a serviceable player who is popular among his teammates.

Overall: This trade is about building the cores to be competitive for both parties. Unfortunately for Vancouver, Dallas is about 4 or 5 years ahead of us. 

30 minutes ago, 2011 said:

Trade:  Vancouver trades Erik Gudbranson (conditional to re-signing to a multi-year medium sized cap hit, 4.5M?) to the Dallas Stars for the 3rd overall draft pick (conditional to the trade taking place before the expansion draft). 

Why Dallas does this:  The core players in Dallas are just hitting their prime (Benn, Seguin, Klingberg) and will be there for the next 6 years or so.  A high draft pick from this years draft will not reach his prime in time to be as helpful to that core group as Erik Gudbranson would be.   Dallas is also very thin on Defense, and could use a bigger framed player that is a legit top 3 defenseman in Dallas.  Of course Dallas is only remotely interest if Gudbranson signs an extension that would not hinder the teams salary structure.  Depending on the contract details Vancouver may have to add a 2nd to 4th round pick to sweeten the pot. 

Why Vancouver does this:  If Benning and Linden are serious about rebuilding the core, they have to make moves now.  Bo Horvat is the oldest prospect worth building around, and Bo's estimated to enter his prime in about 3 years.  Draft picks from this draft will be close enough in age to Bo's career that they could seriously be future core players.  It is a weaker draft, but having 2 picks in the top 5 is still very impactful.  Of course loosing Gudbranson makes Vancouver a worse team going into 2017, however if Vancouver makes this trade before the expansion draft, they would be able to protect Sbisa.  Keeping Sbisa is a benefit, as he has proven to be a serviceable player who is popular among his teammates.

Overall: This trade is about building the cores to be competitive for both parties. Unfortunately for Vancouver, Dallas is about 4 or 5 years ahead of us. 

so if he doesn't do this, he is not serious about rebuilding? there are lots of ways to rebuild. different strokes for different folks.

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

so if he doesn't do this, he is not serious about rebuilding? there are lots of ways to rebuild. different strokes for different folks.

True.  As far as we know there is no need to trade Gudbranson (I.E. contract negotiations, locker room chemistry).  And yes there are several ways to rebuild.  This is a proposal to potentially (no guarantees) Rebuild a core group of players that will reach their prime at the same time.  Looking at the 2009 - 2010 Blackhawks as an example.

In todays NHL there are 31 teams that all want the same thing.  You have try and stack your deck.  Vancouver doesn't have a McDavid or any real superstar, so strength in numbers is their best bet.  

I'm don't entirely like the idea of a rebuild, but I would like to see Vancouver win a cup in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

sorry why would u trade a decent shutdown dman u traded for 14 months ago when u have older moveable asset like tanev whos return would be better plus guddy is entering his best yrs you keep dmen like that

I don't agree that Tanev's return would be better.  For the same reasons you listed above.

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I'm sorry. But after the season he just had Gudbrabdson is not going to get you the 3rd overall pick. 

That could be true.  Depends on Dallas's wants and needs.  They could get better offers for their 3rd overall pick (Landeskog, Kane), but I believe that a defenceman is their top priority.  Is Faulk better than Guds?

9 minutes ago, 2011 said:

True.  As far as we know there is no need to trade Gudbranson (I.E. contract negotiations, locker room chemistry).  And yes there are several ways to rebuild.  This is a proposal to potentially (no guarantees) Rebuild a core group of players that will reach their prime at the same time.  Looking at the 2009 - 2010 Blackhawks as an example.

In todays NHL there are 31 teams that all want the same thing.  You have try and stack your deck.  Vancouver doesn't have a McDavid or any real superstar, so strength in numbers is their best bet.  

I'm don't entirely like the idea of a rebuild, but I would like to see Vancouver win a cup in my lifetime. 

Except the Hawks have drafted franchise players in the top 3 including 1st overall; we haven't.  This is a poor draft year overall with no real superstars unlike other years.  Best thing we can do IMO is get rid of everyone on a bad contract or over the north side of 30.  Everyone is concerned about veteran presence for a rebuilding team, there are a lot of veterans on this team (too many IMO). We don't need all of the Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Ericksson, Sutter, Dorsett, and Gudbranson.  Time to go with the young guys and have a couple of veterans to back them up and teach them the rope.

7 minutes ago, 2011 said:

That could be true.  Depends on Dallas's wants and needs.  They could get better offers for their 3rd overall pick (Landeskog, Kane), but I believe that a defenceman is their top priority.  Is Faulk better than Guds?

Gudbranson isn't good enough especially with really poor Corsi stats his whole career coming off a disappointing injury plagued season and no ability to create offence.  I don't even think Gudbranson could fetch you a 1st round pick let alone a 3rd overall.  Best thing to do is keep him and give him a chance to prove his worth

Gudbranson may have been drafted 3rd overall but it is a stretch to suggest he is still worth a 3rd overall to say the least.

Some People say Guddy and Tanev don't fit our rebuild but i disagree, if we are playoff bound in 3 years or competeing in 4 years, both players will still be in their prime.

Edler and our 33rd plus a prospect (not a top prospect) could potentially land the 3rd overall and i would like to see that happen but Mr Benning seems to have a hard on for Edler and Edler probobly wouldn't waive.

Last year the Canucks paid McCann + 33rd for Gudbranson. After an injury riddled campaign he is now worth the 3rd overall pick? This isn't close. Even Edler for the 3rd isn't happening. We will get a package of prospects and picks if Edler is moved not the 3rd overall pick. Gudbranson isn't worth moving as he needs to come back and prove that he is a top 4 defenseman for him to have good value.

12 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

Rather keep a guy like Guddy for the kids. Strong leader and stands up for the boys.

And without Gudbranson players will go the front our net all day and there would be nothing we could do about it. 

Guddy is 25 and tough as nails, and we really haven't seen him at his best.

If we stil had McCann would we trade him a 2nd and a 4th for this years 3oa? Maybe. But we need a guy like GudBranson just as much. I'd rather see some combo of Tanev, a goalie back, etc. any one of the many solid trade ideas already covered elsewhere. 

Archived