The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you want to pay for a player you can pick up for nothing next year? 

The 8th is fairly reasonable value with adding in Kane as a sweetener.  It is comparable to the 3rd and eating a bad goalie contract.

Of course, you only do this if you have an extension agreed to for Kane so you get him for longer than the year.

The risk of signing him is lower than we probably think.  If he screws up off ice, there is precedence for canceling his contract a la LA Kings.

There is little concern about Kane's on ice performance, he is exactly the type of player we need to complement the smaller skilled guys.  Think of Lucic and Maroon and how they have inpacted Edmonton.  Suddenly Baertschi, Goldobin, and the Sedins get better.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

The 8th is fairly reasonable value with adding in Kane as a sweetener.  It is comparable to the 3rd and eating a bad goalie contract.

Of course, you only do this if you have an extension agreed to for Kane so you get him for longer than the year.

The risk of signing him is lower than we probably think.  If he screws up off ice, there is precedence for canceling his contract a la LA Kings.

There is little concern about Kane's on ice performance, he is exactly the type of player we need to complement the smaller skilled guys.  Think of Lucic and Maroon and how they have inpacted Edmonton.  Suddenly Baertschi, Goldobin, and the Sedins get better.

imo Tanev and our 55th for Kane and their 8th is the best deal they'll ever get involving Kane but I doubt that they do that. 

On 6/6/2017 at 1:02 PM, Mattrek said:

You're all over the place. How the hell does Tanev get a Reinhart (unlikely even straight across) AND a 1st when Dallas only gets us basically a 2nd?

I think the nucks hold on to both Tanev and Edler to mentor the younger guys for a few years until they are ready. Tanev is unlikely to get anywhere close to his value to the canucks in a trade unfortunately. 

47 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

imo Tanev and our 55th for Kane and their 8th is the best deal they'll ever get involving Kane but I doubt that they do that. 

Anyone taking Kane before July 1st is taking a massive risk. Can't negotiate an extension with him until then. Although I think there's a reasonable chance that he wants to come to Vancouver if he hits UFA, he may really be attracted by Vegas.

Considering Kane's past, I don't think Vegas would be a good atmosphere for him, but not sure that he will see that.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Anyone taking Kane before July 1st is taking a massive risk. Can't negotiate an extension with him until then. Although I think there's a reasonable chance that he wants to come to Vancouver if he hits UFA, he may really be attracted by Vegas.

Considering Kane's past, I don't think Vegas would be a good atmosphere for him, but not sure that he will see that.

I think its clear Kane wants to be here, so I don't think its a risk for us but it is for other teams. Other than hard core social justice warriors I think most fans would give Kane a chance to turn it around here. 

10 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I think then canucks need to work out a deal to have sbisa not chosen in the ed to protect our depth on D enough to move tanev

Yup. The Canucks can do this whenever they want. My point is that Dallas can't use that as a bargaining chip to lower their offer to the Canucks. :)

regards,  G.

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Couldn't another team seek permission from the Sabres in order to talk about an extension, as part of trade negotiations?

regards,  G.

12 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Couldn't another team seek permission from the Sabres in order to talk about an extension, as part of trade negotiations?

regards,  G.

Yes, but an extension can't be made official until July 1st. However, I'm not so sure it's within Kane's best interest to talk extension right now. He'd probably get close to twice the term if he kept his nose clean this year and scored 25+ goals again. 

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think its clear Kane wants to be here, so I don't think its a risk for us but it is for other teams. Other than hard core social justice warriors I think most fans would give Kane a chance to turn it around here. 

We'd need to move Baer if we pick up Kane.

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You can certainly negotiate, you can't actually sign a deal.

We would have to have a good idea whether a deal was in place and what cost.

if there was something else going their way we could mitigate risk by making it conditional on re-signing him

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, maybe we should be focusing on Sam Reinhart?

JB did push hard to make a trade for #1 so he could select him over Ekblad if I recall.  I would guess JB still would think highly of him.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We'd need to move Baer if we pick up Kane.

Vegas woud pick him up since it would then be a choice between Biega and Baer since Sbisa would be protected. Or Baer could be part of the deal back to BUF. So Tanev and Baer for 8th oa and Kane. 

51 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

I believe its a league rule that you can't negotiate an extension until you enter the last year of the contract, and, I could be wrong, but I believe all contracts terminate on June 30th in NHL.

Archived