The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

13 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

You and JB, giving away 2nds like they were candy...

I think you are undervaluing Tanev. Also, Dallas is the team looking to make the trade because they want results now. To me this means that they should overpay if they want the deal done.  

regards,  G. 

Agree for sure. The only reason for taking a deal now is to keep Sbisa in the ED. Even that might not be enough if Dallas is not valuing Tanev high enough. The fallback is to keep Tanev and deal him in the fall or more likely at the TDL next spring. Stronger draft next year and failing a injury his value will only go up. Tanev + 55 is the max but I prefer Dorsett over the #55 and Dallas adds one of their tenders. 

9 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I think you are undervaluing Tanev. Also, Dallas is the team looking to make the trade because they want results now. To me this means that they should overpay if they want the deal done.  

regards,  G. 

I have a feeling you will be very disappointed with the return we get for Tanev.

We may not NEED to trade Tanev, but it is 100% within our best interest to trade him. JB can put his poker face on all he wants but it would be a huge mistake not trading Tanev. Having said that, a player of Tanev's caliber is not worth a 3rd OA pick. I would challenge you to come up with a similar trade to prove me otherwise if you disagree. That's not to say that Dallas wouldn't get desperate enough to make that deal, but history and current market value of a defenseman like Tanev suggests otherwise. If JB has to add to Tanev to get the 3rd OA pick, as long as it's within reason (ie. 55th OA pick), he pulls the trigger IMO.

But I guess we will see...

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I have a feeling you will be very disappointed with the return we get for Tanev.

We may not NEED to trade Tanev, but it is 100% within our best interest to trade him. JB can put his poker face on all he wants but it would be a huge mistake not trading Tanev. Having said that, a player of Tanev's caliber is not worth a 3rd OA pick. I would challenge you to come up with a similar trade to prove me otherwise if you disagree. That's not to say that Dallas wouldn't get desperate enough to make that deal, but history and current market value of a defenseman like Tanev suggests otherwise. If JB has to add to Tanev to get the 3rd OA pick, as long as it's within reason (ie. 55th OA pick), he pulls the trigger IMO.

This is a realistic assessment...The Tanev to Dallas rumours (media created) are almost becoming annoying..I'm putting my money on Tanev as a Canuck for the start of the 2017-18 season.

Tanev, 55th and Cassels

For

3rd overall, Niemi and Hamhuis

We can bring hammer back to help out with that young inexperienced backend we will have. If we end up losing tanev to dallas and sbisa to vegas. If we lose sbisa to Vegas and hamhuis doesn't get claimed by Vegas then bringing hamhuis back makes sense.

5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Tanev, 55th and Cassels

For

We can bring hammer back to help out with that young inexperienced backend we will have if we end up losing tanev to dallas and sbisa to vegas. If we lose sbisa to Vegas and hamhuis doesn't get claimed by Vegas then bringing hamhuis back makes sense.

I would be ok with this. With the loss of Tanev, Hamhuis would be a welcome addition to our backend, even if it was only for 1 year. Plus at this point, I really don't think Cassels is going to pan out. So if Dallas absolutely needed to have him included, I'd do it.

24 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Tanev, 55th and Cassels

For

We can bring hammer back to help out with that young inexperienced backend we will have if we end up losing tanev to dallas and sbisa to vegas. If we lose sbisa to Vegas and hamhuis doesn't get claimed by Vegas then bringing hamhuis back makes sense.

One of the better proposals I've seen. Wouldn't shed a tear over losing Cassels, he's getting passed on the depth chart pretty fast. Getting Hammer back...hmm. A replacement for Sbisa, should he be taken by Vegas.

5 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

One of the better proposals I've seen. Wouldn't shed a tear over losing Cassels, he's getting passed on the depth chart pretty fast. Getting Hammer back...hmm. A replacement for Sbisa, should he be taken by Vegas.

cassels was one of the best all around players for Utica by the end of last year.  Green played him in every important situation and he, finally, looked like an NHL prospect.  That said, he's going to be a bottom 6 fwd, losing him wouldn't sink the franchise

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G. 

I'll be happy with him throwing away every 2nd round pick if they bring back a baer or Granny.  Those are money trades

yes but in two/3 years, me I would want one now to grow with the team

In a weak draft not worth it to take two over the hill players and a 3rd that might not turn into anything or would be waiting for and then might only be a third line guy

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

In a weak draft not worth it to take two over the hill players and a 3rd that might not turn into anything or would be waiting for and then might only be a third line guy

it's not a weak draft at all

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I won't lose much, if any sleep over the deal, regardless of the outcome. :)

Tanev probably isn't worth the 3rd OA (even in a bad draft year), but as you have noted, maybe Dallas is desperate enough to make that deal. Also, Tanev is on a very reasonable, cap friendly contract. Add to this the thing which first interested me in this topic, adding a cap dump goalie, and there is lots of room for the 3rd OA to be in this deal with Tanev being the only significant piece going back to Dallas.

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

whatever you say man... i highly doubt Dallas accepts that trade anyway...

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I thought it was only one over the hill player?

regards,  G.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

cassels was one of the best all around players for Utica by the end of last year.  Green played him in every important situation and he, finally, looked like an NHL prospect.  That said, he's going to be a bottom 6 fwd, losing him wouldn't sink the franchise

This being said, how much did losing Malhotra mean to this team in that Cup run?

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I thought it was only one over the hill player?

regards,  G.

I think he's referring to Hamhuis, who IMO is still a very serviceable player and and an even better person to have in the room with Tanev's departure.

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

This being said, how much did losing Malhotra mean to this team in that Cup run?

regards,  G.

I think it depends on whether Gaunce gets selected in the ED.  If he does, cassels moves up the depth chart.  If they take Edler/Sbisa, then I thin Gaunce is pencilled in as the 4th line C going fwd

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it depends on whether Gaunce gets selected in the ED.  If he does, cassels moves up the depth chart.  If they take Edler/Sbisa, then I thin Gaunce is pencilled in as the 4th line C going fwd

Considering Cassels plays with more 'bite', he might win that fourth line center role over Gaunce anyway.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think he's referring to Hamhuis, who IMO is still a very serviceable player and and an even better person to have in the room with Tanev's departure.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

So the moral of the story is, I should read further back in the thread than just chime in on something...  Stoopid work. :P

regards,  G.

Archived