The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

11 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

?? The rumor I remember hearing (and believe) was that we had a deal ready to go and the Aqs stepped in at the 11th hour and nixed the deal as they thought Gaglardi's team should pay a premium for Hammer 

Lots of that was speculation and rumour to fill air time.

The simpler and publicly acknowledged scenario was that Hamhuis was their 2nd choice if they couldn't land Russell.  They landed Russell at the last minute.

We didn't have other landing spots ready that Hamhuis had ageeed to waive for, so the deadline passed.

With Brodin, Dumba, Vatanen, Barrie, De Haan etc all being rumored to be available do not be surprised if Tanev is either not traded or traded for quite a bit less than any of these proposals in this thread. Also I believe that there is also a freeze on trades coming tomorrow until after the ED?

14 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Don't believe that BS.  Those 1040 idiots made that up.  

I believe it wholeheartedly. 

Aqs have always been very hands on. I also believe they nixed Kesler deal the deadline he wanted out.

I hate botchford (the one who wrote the article), but I also believe where there is smoke there is fire.

We will never know the true story but I would not put it past ownership to have done something so petty...

6 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

With Brodin, Dumba, Vatanen, Barrie, De Haan etc all being rumored to be available do not be surprised if Tanev is either not traded or traded for quite a bit less than any of these proposals in this thread. Also I believe that there is also a freeze on trades coming tomorrow until after the ED?

None of those guys are like Tanev.  Tanev is an elite shut down top pairing big minute guy.  I agree that Tanev will likely not be moved, but the reason will be because JB is trying to compete now still, and is avoiding the rebuild.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

None of those guys are like Tanev.  Tanev is an elite shut down top pairing big minute guy.  I agree that Tanev will likely not be moved, but the reason will be because JB is trying to compete now still, and is avoiding the rebuild.

If Tanev is not moved it is because JB did not get the price he wanted. We don't have to trade him, so we shouldn't settle. His upcoming NTC is limited, not a full one, so he can still be moved down the road.

4 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I believe it wholeheartedly. 

Aqs have always been very hands on. I also believe they nixed Kesler deal the deadline he wanted out.

I hate botchford (the one who wrote the article), but I also believe where there is smoke there is fire.

We will never know the true story but I would not put it past ownership to have done something so petty...

Oh Yeah,  the Aqualinis have been very hands on?  According to who?  Oh yeah. The 1040 idiots again.

Unless you are in the office and have seen with your own two eyes that the Aqualinis are meddling, don't try passing that trash off as fact because the only ones who know would be Mike Gillis/Trevor Linden/Jim Benning.   

So many people actually take what those idiots at team 1040 say as fact. It's sad.  Stop letting them brainwash you.

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Oh Yeah,  the Aqualinis have been very hands on?  According to who?  Oh yeah. The 1040 idiots again.

Unless you are in the office and have seen with your own two eyes that the Aqualinis are meddling, don't try passing that trash off as fact because the only ones who know would be Mike Gillis/Trevor Linden/Jim Benning.   

So many people actually take what those idiots at team 1040 say as fact. It's sad.  Stop letting them brainwash you.

I hate 1040. I hate Dave Pratt with a burning passion. I hate botchford (who is province), Kuzma (province).... in fact there aren't many guys in Vancouver media that I like. I don't believe everything I read.

However, the Aqs have shown a tendancy to meddle.

- Forced Torts on MG

- Vetoed Kesler deal to Pittsburgh at deadline

- Vetoed Hamhuis trade

- Flew to Flordia after Schneider was traded to assure Lu everything was going to be great (....then forced Torts on management who subsequently ran Lu outta town)...

- Recruited TL to smooth public relations nightmare when he clearly was not most qualified for the job

Some of these points cannot be verified. But I believe them. I'm not saying I know with 100% certainty they are right, but they make complete sense to me. I did not get this intel from the back channels of twitter from Eklund or hockeyinsidrrrrrrr...... They were written or spoken by established members of the media. I believe them because I have heard enough stories over the years about that family to know what they are about. It is their right to meddle....they own the team.... but don't kid yourself.

Perhaps my least favorite media member is Dreger, who has shown a pattern of constantly trolling this fanbase with his information. However, I believe his stories when they come out. I also believe he chooses to push the more negative stories at times in some kind of personal vendetta he has with this franchise. At the same time, if Dreger has a positive scoop he is going to want to report it first as his credibility and reputation depends on it. Despite the fact that Lebrun, Bubba, and Dreger are all buddies and coworkers, they still want to be the first to tweet out each scoop. 

With this particular rumor, it wasn't just coming from one person. At the time I remember multiple sources leaking various tidbits of information that lead me to draw this conclusion. And IMO, to suggest it is completely baseless is incorrect.

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Some of these points cannot be verified"

Most or almost all of these points cannot be verified.

Aqua did go to Florida- that is the only one I think can be verified as fact.

The Linden hire is 100% the Aqs doing. That point is more up for debate as to whether TL should have been hired. I don't think he should have been, however, I'm sure many people on this site disagree. Fine.

Of course the other stuff can't be verified. There is no way to prove them as 100% correct. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be noted by our fanbase. I have spent the last 15 minutes reading old news stories....and they all point to the same thing.

Hammer Trade:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-deadline-vancouver-canucks-dan-hamhuis-eriksson-jonathan-drouin-radim-vrbata-parenteau-hartnell-stars/

Ed Willes of The Province cites a “highly placed Stars source” when he reports the Canucks had a trade in place to send Hamhuis to Dallas in exchange for a “similar” package the Stars eventually sent to Calgary for Kris Russell.

“The deal was taken to Canucks ownership. Ownership requested more. The Stars rejected that request and made the trade with the Flames,” Willes writes. “Dallas then came back to the Canucks with a lesser offer for Hamhuis — believed to be a draft pick in 2017 — but were turned down.”

Kesler Trade:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trades/canucks-owners-may-have-nixed-a-kesler-deal/

Earlier Wednesday, while speaking to reporters in Phoenix, Gillis sidestepped the question of whether Vancouver’s ownership group, led by Francesco Aquilini, nixed a potential Kesler trade. But he did not deny that the owners blocked a deal.

"Ownership is involved in all kinds of decisions that we make," said Gillis. "And when you are in a situation like that at trade deadline day and the draft they are going to be involved as you advance situations and evaluate situations, like any other business. It’s not uncommon. In fact, it’s encouraged, because you need everybody in alignment when you are doing these kinds of things."

Read between the lines. MG could have unequivocally denied any ownership involvement whatsoever. He didn't. What does that tell you? Is it 100% proof that they didn't? Of course not. But to me it screams they did. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Tortorella Hire:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/john+tortorella+vancouver+canucks+owner/8560762/story.html

There had been an increasing buzz around the NHL this week that Tortorella was the Canucks’ guy. But an uncomfortable question arose: Is Tortorella the GM’s guy or owner Francesco Aquilini’s guy?

Aquilini, whose family’s investment in the Canucks is every bit as emotional as financial — and they have a tonne of money at stake, has been highly involved in interviewing coaching candidates. One source indicated it was an extremely unusual process, with the managing owner and other Aquilini family members fully participating with Gillis in interviews, rather than allowing hockey operations to sort through candidates before presenting finalists — or the winner — for the boss’s approval.

On the surface, there’s nothing wrong with ownership’s involvement, as long as Aquilini allows Gillis to make the key hockey decisions.

But an owner hiring a coach can quickly lead to dysfunction within an organization as the coach, understandably, may eventually regard the general manager as little more than an employee and will cater instead to the owner’s wishes.

And just for fun

http://www.news1130.com/2014/04/15/canucks-owner-dubbed-the-worst-person-in-the-sports-world/

The Canucks’ season came to its merciful end on Sunday night, but even ESPN has taken notice of the mess in Vancouver.

Owner Francesco Aquilini was dubbed ‘The Worst Person in the Sports World’ by host Keith Olbermann.

Aquilini has gone after a pair of Vancouver newspaper writers, legally, for pinning the hiring of Head Coach John Tortorella on him, and not former GM Mike Gillis.

Olbermann took notice and held nothing back in his daily talk show this week.

“You own the team; owning the team means you own the decision. You [hiring] him because the general manager says ‘This is my choice’ is the same as if you personally went down to skid row, found Tortorella, touched him on the shoulders and said ‘This is my choice,'” he said.

I can keep going if you want. I got all day. 

2 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

The Linden hire is 100% the Aqs doing. That point is more up for debate as to whether TL should have been hired. I don't think he should have been, however, I'm sure many people on this site disagree. Fine.

Of course the other stuff can't be verified. There is no way to prove them as 100% correct. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be noted by our fanbase. I have spent the last 15 minutes reading old news stories....and they all point to the same thing.

Hammer Trade:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-deadline-vancouver-canucks-dan-hamhuis-eriksson-jonathan-drouin-radim-vrbata-parenteau-hartnell-stars/

Kesler Trade:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trades/canucks-owners-may-have-nixed-a-kesler-deal/

Read between the lines. MG could have unequivicoly denied any ownership involvement whatsoever. He didn't. What does that tell you? Is it 100% proof that they didn't? Of course not. But to me it screams they did. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Tortorella Trade:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/john+tortorella+vancouver+canucks+owner/8560762/story.html

And just for fun

http://www.news1130.com/2014/04/15/canucks-owner-dubbed-the-worst-person-in-the-sports-world/

Linden was hired -correct- your supposition as to why, is just that.

Other people say things, doesn't make it true.

But please keep going, I'll check in from time to time as I do not have all day for this.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Linden was hired -correct- your supposition as to why, is just that.

Other people say things, doesn't make it true.

But please keep going, I'll check in from time to time as I do not have all day for this.

Yes, well, as I already stated. I believe where there is smoke there is fire. And on this issue there is a whole lot of smoke.

10 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

If we could get Konecny and a 2nd for Tanev I'd do it in a heart beat.  Question is, why would Philly do it? 

My hunch would be Philly really sees a window to compete with guys like Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek.  They could score but had trouble keeping the puck outta the net and defending.  Adding Tanev to that young Dcore with Ghost, Provorov would help round out that dcore.  Idk if Philly would do it, just spit balling ideas.  i think with the Tanev trade people are focusing too much on the first round pick of teams, but reality might be having to go outside the box and do a deal like this for a lesser sexy player.

11 hours ago, By sea and land said:

I like Tanev but I'd trade him for the right price.  I know a lot of talk is with Dallas at #3 but I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo at #8 isn't kicking tires here as well.

I like where you are going with this, maybe Tanev, Sbisa our 5th and 33rd for Reinhardt and there 8th

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Um Elliot Friedman has said many times Vancouver has a very "involved" owner. If he is saying that Francesco is meddling he definitely is. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

If we wait until the 22nd most of those players are off the market end tanevs value skyrockets as we used a protection spot on him, that's when you trade him. But it also means losing tanev and likely sbisa.

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

Hammer Trade:

Kesler Trade:

Read between the lines. MG could have unequivocally denied any ownership involvement whatsoever. He didn't. What does that tell you? Is it 100% proof that they didn't? Of course not. But to me it screams they did. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Tortorella Hire:

And just for fun

Not sure why ppl are neg you

everyone - he is sharing his view and opinion and shared articles that shaped those views  

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

I like where you are going with this, maybe Tanev, Sbisa our 5th and 33rd for Reinhardt and there 8th

Do not see that happening too many pieces 

and I honestly think Cody Glass will be  > than Sam Reinhart when all is said and done

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The guys are likely to be moved before expansion due to their teams not wanting to lose them for nothing. Other GM'S know these guys have to be moved and therefore their prices won't be as high.

If Brodin is exposed, Dumba isn't going anywhere.

Tanev will be moved by the draft for a higher price

That's how I see it anyway

2 hours ago, cdubuya said:

Hammer Trade:

Kesler Trade:

Tortorella Hire:

And just for fun

Are there rumors out there now that are suggesting Aqualini is getting involved in the Tanev trade talks?  Or, are you suggesting that since Aqualini did it before (according to these sources) he's likely to do it again?  I hope you're wrong, because I really want us to get that Dallas #3 pick!

Archived