The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I don't see that happening.  I think that he is legit in saying he isn't shopping him, and that he's just listening to offers.  Despite his obvious reluctance to look at the deep numbers (ie: Guddy), I believe he knows full well Tanev's worth to this team and what will happen to us defensively if we lose him.

I don't believe that's remotely true.

And Guddy's 'deep numbers' have historically been just fine given proper context of his role, usage etc.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And Guddy's 'deep numbers' have historically been just fine given proper context of his role, usage etc.

But Gudbranson is really nothing more than a depth defenseman, barely scratching the surface as a 5-6 if you apply analytics........

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

But Gudbranson is really nothing more than a depth defenseman, barely scratching the surface as a 5-6 if you apply analytics........

*If you apply very basic analytics without any context or real understanding of how to use analytics as a tool to judge players.

;) 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I completely but respectfully disagree.  His poor possession numbers have been gone over again and again, and it is hard to put a positive spin on them.  Now, you bring up the context of his role - which is fair as he has been used in a shutdown, hitting role.  So I imagine your argument is that he was put up against the best competition from the other team - which is fair.  The problem is, Tanev has been too and if you compare the two, it is pretty clear who excels at the role and who does not.

At least he hits.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I completely but respectfully disagree.  His poor possession numbers have been gone over again and again, and it is hard to put a positive spin on them.  Now, you bring up the context of his role - which is fair as he has been used in a shutdown, hitting role.  So I imagine your argument is that he was put up against the best competition from the other team - which is fair.  The problem is, Tanev has been too and if you compare the two, it is pretty clear who excels at the role and who does not.

At least he hits.

He's a big bodied, minute munching, crease clearing, stand up for your teammates, Dman.  He plays the hardest minutes, so the more offencive minded guys don't have to.  Look at Ekblad's last season.  He took many of those minutes that Guddy played, and his numbers took a serious hit.  His first two seasons the Ekblad was a plus 30 averaging 38 points.  Last season he was a minus 23, and only got 21 points.  Plus, he was injured more, likely due to the heavier minutes he had to play.  

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

At least he hits.

Who said he was better than Tanev? Who said he was even the same type of player?

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who said he was better than Tanev? Who said he was even the same type of player?

I thought that was what you were implying when it comes to him having good "deep numbers", as I called it.  I assumed you were referring to corsi, etc - which is generally what most talk about when referring to the advanced analytics.

So if that is not what you were referring to, what advanced analytics numbers do you feel are actually "fine"?  Or any analytics besides hitting, for that matter?

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I thought that was what you were implying when it comes to him having good "deep numbers", as I called it.  I assumed you were referring to corsi, etc - which is generally what most talk about when referring to the advanced analytics.

So if that is not what you were referring to, what advanced analytics numbers do you feel are actually "fine"?  Or any analytics besides hitting, for that matter?

Corsi et al is heavily slanted to favour offensive production. The guy who allows more offensive players to play their games by being the physical, defensive guy keeping shots and players outside, playing against better QOC, dzone starts, covering their partner etc, etc is never going to look 'good' in most advanced stats or 'hero' charts.

Not recognizing that despite that, they are still VERY valuable players and a needed role on a team is where people who only (or at least primarily) look at stats (and generally without that above context) for a players value, fail.

Sometimes you need a guy to look 'bad' in fancy stats to help guys who look 'good' in them, look even better. It's a boon for the team despite that one guy appearing comparatively 'poor' and precisely why guys like Gudbranson (or Sutter FWIW) are still VERY valuable to a team.

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I like Bear Cheese as well, but he has yet to find the consistency that surefire top 6 players need. He'll light it up and get 11 points in 9 games, then go ice cold and get 2 points in the next 12 games. He arguably getting to the age where he could be hitting his ceiling. If he could just find a way to make those cold stretches of his a little less cold....say, 5 points in 12 games instead of 2, then he'd be golden.

Good points, 

Last season was a rough one, but Sven was a bright spot. I loved the Sven-Bo-Brock combo. A little bit of everything. If they could get a better puck mover to get them going off the rush, i like that idea. 

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Drouin

Nylander

Hischier

Reinhart

Puljujarvi

Provorov

Sergachev + pick

If we're trading Tanev I'd want a blue chip prospect such as one of these guys coming back. Call them up and see who bites

Shoot for the moon I guess.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Drouin

Nylander

Hischier

Reinhart

Puljujarvi

Provorov

Sergachev + pick

If we're trading Tanev I'd want a blue chip prospect such as one of these guys coming back. Call them up and see who bites

Puljujarrvi might be had for tanev +. If they cant sign russell, tanev is an upgrade for them. They just went to the west finals. Tanev + couple more minor upgrades might get them to SCF next year.

Archived