The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 18 Thread

MusclePharm

The best one I think was the NHL 3on3 Arcade or whatever from like around 10 years ago or something. Maybe 5-8 years ago.

The one where you grabbed the powerups and $&!#.

GIANT GOALTENDERRR

WOOOOOSHH

WAS THAT A BANANA?

Then when you were navigating the menus it would be a guys voice going BLORP BLORP. Ha.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:48 AM, Madwolf said:

Any of you guys on PS4 that need to do some of the Co-Op challenges? I need to do some in HUT, and need a win with someone in 3s to unlock Finn.

Madwolf05 of PSN. I'll be on at like 4pm Vancouver time. Just let me know who you are if you send me a friend invite. lol

I would do them with you but my schedule only lets me play really late at night. If you have a second controller you can use that and just position lock it.

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

The best one I think was the NHL 3on3 Arcade or whatever from like around 10 years ago or something. Maybe 5-8 years ago.

The one where you grabbed the powerups and $&!#.

GIANT GOALTENDERRR

WOOOOOSHH

WAS THAT A BANANA?

Then when you were navigating the menus it would be a guys voice going BLORP BLORP. Ha.

Nhl Arcade will always be a close favorite of mine. Right behind NHL Hitz 2003!

15 hours ago, Incursio said:

NHL 2k5 is still my favourite NHL game of all time.

My buddy had 2K5, I bought 2K6. Both were pretty similar from what I recall. I loved the dream team thing too.

10 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Was well before that. 

Nhl hits

Nhl rock the rink

Rock the Rink was awesome. I loved the commentary of Don Taylor as well :P 

The game was legit hard too, especially since the computer's bonus bar went up way faster than yours in the hard difficulties. 

I hate to say it, but I regret buying this. Online play seems much slower than last year, both in EASHL and in 1v1 games. Not to mention the poke check spam.

BaP is fine and all, but it's not going to hold my interest long enough to get $80 out of it. I plan on starting up franchise soon, so hopefully that keeps me playing.

In HUT, I completed the centennial challenge, and the reward is a card... that does nothing? Just a picture of Sittler?

Pucks are too easy to earn, as are players. I miss having to save up, now just logging in nets a decent return. They had it right in NHL 11.

At least they brought back couch co op though. Disgraceful that they took it out years ago, about time they fixed that.

So far not a fan of this defensive skill stick. Playing franchise mode, in the first game I had 15 penalties and lost 7-5 on 5 powerplay goals against. 

I do play on superstar but i've played on this same setting the last 2 years and I have never had anything like this, I was killing a 5 on 3 for what felt like the entire third period and I was up 5-2 at one point in the period. Just absurd. Everytime I have the puck around a guy the puck is magically off my stick, anytime I tried I was in the box. Gotta play smarter I guess...?? <_< 

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So far not a fan of this defensive skill stick. Playing franchise mode, in the first game I had 15 penalties and lost 7-5 on 5 powerplay goals against. 

[...]

Wait until you play online. The defensive stick is completely overpowered, Players who can't defend are now so strong, because of this sick stick..:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Granlund hit 89 for me. Not super under the radar but good nonetheless.

Markus or Mikael?

2 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

Wait until you play online. The defensive stick is completely overpowered, Players who can't defend are now so strong, because of this sick stick..:rolleyes:

Markus or Mikael?

I had the same issue with penalties, but its because weve grown accustomed to binging the stick checks and poke checks. Play smart, and the penalties will drop. I went from 10 penalties a game, to maximum 2 now. Defense isnt all about pokechecking, so dont revert to always using it. 

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I had the same issue with penalties, but its because weve grown accustomed to binging the stick checks and poke checks. Play smart, and the penalties will drop. I went from 10 penalties a game, to maximum 2 now. Defense isnt all about pokechecking, so dont revert to always using it. 

How do you defend. I'm only asking because im having trouble with it. I haven't owned an nhl game in probably 3 yrs. I'm struggling lol 

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

How do you defend. I'm only asking because im having trouble with it. I haven't owned an nhl game in probably 3 yrs. I'm struggling lol 

In this game poke checks (R1) are pretty OP right now, so they're a solid choice. Stick lifts (X) are good too when you're up close. Try not to go for a body check (Right stick) unless you're really sure you'll land it.

Staking backwards (L2) helps too when you're defending off the rush, poke the puck away from them as you're backing up. Try to stay in the shooting lanes to block shots (L1) as well. Holding poke check, and moving the right stick around will let you sweep your stick on the ice to block passing lanes. 

Also, try not to change players too much. That way you're not moving them all out of position when you're chasing down a guy in your zone. I used to be really bad for that. 

TLDR; You pretty much want to do what you'd do in an actual game of hockey. It just takes time to get used to how it all feels. 

1 hour ago, Incursio said:

In this game poke checks (R1) are pretty OP right now, so they're a solid choice. Stick lifts (X) are good too when you're up close. Try not to go for a body check (Right stick) unless you're really sure you'll land it.

Staking backwards (L2) helps too when you're defending off the rush, poke the puck away from them as you're backing up. Try to stay in the shooting lanes to block shots (L1) as well. Holding poke check, and moving the right stick around will let you sweep your stick on the ice to block passing lanes. 

Also, try not to change players too much. That way you're not moving them all out of position when you're chasing down a guy in your zone. I used to be really bad for that. 

TLDR; You pretty much want to do what you'd do in an actual game of hockey. It just takes time to get used to how it all feels. 

Gotcha. Sounds like I have the technique down and I just suck lol. I may be switching players too much.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Gotcha. Sounds like I have the technique down and I just suck lol. I may be switching players too much.

What difficulty are you playing on? It might be easier to drop it down one level while you get more comfortable with it. 

I have found EASHL even more frustrating this year than last. The 3s is a lot of fun because me and 2 buddies always play...What drives me up the wall is the computer AI. We will play any team regardless of player skill and usually end up playing some very skilled teams. The most frustrating this is when playing those good teams (say, 2v2) they seem to have a computer defenseman who is the 2nd coming of Lidstrom. Then you have ours, who takes crap angles, doesn't even play D even when he is the last man and will give free passes constantly.

We are decent at the game but it's so frustrating when you allow 2-3 goals a game due to computer covering air or not being able to pick anybody up.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

I have found EASHL even more frustrating this year than last. The 3s is a lot of fun because me and 2 buddies always play...What drives me up the wall is the computer AI. We will play any team regardless of player skill and usually end up playing some very skilled teams. The most frustrating this is when playing those good teams (say, 2v2) they seem to have a computer defenseman who is the 2nd coming of Lidstrom. Then you have ours, who takes crap angles, doesn't even play D even when he is the last man and will give free passes constantly.

We are decent at the game but it's so frustrating when you allow 2-3 goals a game due to computer covering air or not being able to pick anybody up.

The only thing I can think of is to change your strategies, making the ai play more or less aggressive, etc...but even then, it's usually just dumb luck.

I've decided to stick it through with nhl17 since all I play is eashl and don't care much for 3v3 or mouthguards. 

Wish they'd bring back attributes allowing you to customize your player more. Maybe select your player type and everyone gets the same amount of attributes so people can't complain about their inability to unlock legend cards.

Archived