The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US company to start trials 'reawakening the dead'

SabreFan1

If they're successful and the newly fully alive people start drooling and chanting "brains", I'm moving to the friggin' moon!

As always, there's more if you read the article, but here's the first little bit:

The first attempts to bring people back from the dead are slated to start this year.

Bioquark, a Philadelphia-based company, announced in late 2016 that they believe brain death is not 'irreversible'.

And now, CEO Ira Pastor has revealed they will soon be testing an unprecedented stem cell method on patients in an unidentified country in Latin America, confirming the details in the next few months. 

To be declared officially dead in the majority of countries, you have to experience complete and irreversible loss of brain function, or 'brain death'. 

According to Pastor, Bioquark has developed a series of injections that can reboot the brain - and they plan to try it out on humans this year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4573914/US-firm-try-reawakening-dead-Latin-America.html

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very cool.  Would the reanimated body be without a soul?

I just added the link.  If you read the article, they believe that they can reverse brain death.  Basically reanimate the brains that have lost all functioning in people whose bodies are being kept alive by machines.

I fully expect their experiment to spectacularly fail.

6 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I can honestly say I both hope and expect this to fail.

I hope it works because there are people that are being kept alive at great cost who are just slowly wasting away with little to no chance of ever awakening, but I don't think that it has much of a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Even if this works, the amount of brain damage in the re-started brain is probably massive. 

Depends on what stopped the functioning of the brain in the first place.  People who were once said to be brain dead have naturally woken up and been mostly fine.  I was reading an article a couple of months ago where someone who was given no chance to awaken did so a couple years after being declared brain dead and with therapy was expected to recover.

I wish I could remember the exact details, but what I mostly thought about after reading the article is that there will be people who read this one in more than a thousand occurrence and then let their future loved one rot in a hospital bed for years in the hopes that it will happen for them.

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I hope it works because there are people that are being kept alive at great cost who are just slowly wasting away with little to no chance of ever awakening, but I don't think that it has much of a chance. 

I'm dumb, I somehow interpreted this as being directed towards people who were legally dead, not just brain dead.

Just now, Jägermeister said:

I'm dumb, I somehow interpreted this as being directed towards people who were legally dead, not just brain dead.

If you read the article, it even says that legally dead has become less of an absolute over the years.  You can keep a body functioning indefinitely on machines.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

and some of them have been elected to public office

Archived