The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Development Camp 2017 - Updated with roster, schedule

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Olli is the same height as Salo at 6'3, and Sami was last listed at 216lbs.  Not an unreasonable eventual playing weight.

And Sami had no problems dealing with NHL sized forwards. Dam he was such a good defender, if advanced stats were around I bet he would have gotten a lot more recognition. 

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I was thinking for near 40, and retired, Salo looked in pretty good shape!

And FTR, Palmu is a freak. His legs are as big or bigger as any of the 230 and 230 lb'ers in the other pics. The high school kid Rathbone, although not as jacked in the upper body, and known to have ''elite'' skating, also stood out for the size of his legs in a small frame.

Pettersson has small legs but performed surprisingly well in leg strength tests as you mentioned. Gadjovich looks like he needs to less bench press and work on his lower body to improve his skating speed.

Lind also looks solid in the upper half for his size but needs more leg strength to improve speed. I remember when he was drafted a term used was quicker than fast at this stage of development.

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

They say life begins at the end of your comfort zone. The Canucks Prospects do some team building on Canada Day in Whistler Village by way of a scavenger hunt.

Gaudette cracked me up. Proud American doesn't want to sing Canadian anthem and/or doesn't know the words.

I could see him be a poor man's Kesler in a few years taking over from Sutter as that third line 2 way guy.

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Pettersson has small legs but performed surprisingly well in leg strength tests as you mentioned. Gadjovich looks like he needs to less bench press and work on his lower body to improve his skating speed.

Lind also looks solid in the upper half for his size but needs more leg strength to improve speed. I remember when he was drafted a term used was quicker than fast at this stage of development.

Gaudette cracked me up. Proud American doesn't want to sing Canadian anthem and/or doesn't know the words.

I could see him be a poor man's Kesler in a few years taking over from Sutter as that third line 2 way guy.

Do basketball players have big legs?

Olympic sprinters?

Horses?

Your logic for big legs= power/ speed doesn't hold up I'm afraid. The trainers that work with athletes work on functional exercises that are gunna specifically affect their play on the ice. Their not trying to get their bodies all jacked up. It simply isn't necessary. There are obviously exceptions but for the most part you won't be able to physically see if their strong or fast enough just with an eye test. 

How many time have you watched a UFC light heavy match and wondered how an average looking guy could be at the pinnacle of athletics? It's more than looks, Chip. 

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Olympic sprinters?

Horses?

Your logic for big legs= power/ speed doesn't hold up I'm afraid. The trainers that work with athletes work on functional exercises that are gunna specifically affect their play on the ice. Their not trying to get their bodies all jacked up. It simply isn't necessary. There are obviously exceptions but for the most part you won't be able to physically see if their strong or fast enough just with an eye test. 

How many time have you watched a UFC light heavy match and wondered how an average looking guy could be at the pinnacle of athletics? It's more than looks, Chip. 

Yes and No. Marty St. Louis was a great skater in his prime known for his speed and scoring and was well known for his tree trunk legs.

Also football and soccer players have huge legs on average as well.

I'd also disagree and say that Olympic sprinters have big legs and a strong core as well and developed upper body.

Long distance runners tend to be skinny like Petersson.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:13 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he's a monster. Can't confirm this but a poster on HFBoards claims Gunnarsson has broken several of Frölunda's all-time fitness records during training.

I saw a clip somewhere of Gunnarson doing 15 reps of 315 lbs of bench press

It's on the Gunnarson thread.  My technical ability prevents me from pasting the tweet here :(

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yes and No. Marty St. Louis was a great skater in his prime known for his speed and scoring and was well known for his tree trunk legs.

Also football and soccer players have huge legs on average as well.

I'd also disagree and say that Olympic sprinters have big legs and a strong core as well and developed upper body.

Long distance runners tend to be skinny like Petersson.

IMG_1409.JPG

26 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Olympic sprinters?

Horses?

Sprinters have huge legs.

Jonah Gadjovich, prospect/blogger

by Jonah Gadjovich @JGadjovich / Canucks prospect

cut.jpg

Hello Vancouver!

Jonah Gadjovich here, I've been asked to write a blog during Vancouver Canucks Development Camp and although I was too busy over the weekend to collect my thoughts, it's go-time now!

I got into Vancouver on Thursday, June 29th and it's my first time to this beautiful city. It was a clear day when the plane was descending and I was amazed. Looking out the window I couldn't believe the mountains, trees, ocean and city itself; I knew it was going to be a great week as soon as I stepped off the plane.

Friday was filled with a rink tour, checking out the Canucks dressing room, meeting the staff and getting to know the other prospects. It was a bit nerve-wracking coming in, but I saw some familiar faces right away. Petrus Palmu and I were roommates for the last three years in Owen Sound, Mike Carcone and I grew up in the same hometown of Whitby, Ontario, during this year's draft combine I got to know Michael DiPietro well, Brett McKenzie and I have the same agent, so we're trained together for three or four years, and I grew up playing against Matt Brassard.

After going through some medical testing, concussion protocols and getting fitted for gear (which was like Chritmas morning for all the guys!!), we took the bus to Whistler, BC, for the weekend.

And I thought Vancouver was beautiful. Whistler is epic!

The rugged backdrop is unlike anything I've ever seen and the village was hopping, as it was Canada Day. We had some more evaluations in the morning before taking part in a scavenger hunt.

Divided into four teams of five or six guys, we had one hour to complete 26 tasks, with photo proof needed. The list had everything from milk a cow (real or fake) and hold a dog, to take a photo in a hot tub and give a piggyback ride to a tourist. I was not on the winning team, but we sure had a great time. This was exactly the type of fun activity we needed to take part in to get to know each other better.

Saturday night we were on our own for dinner and we ate and explored the village more. It was early to bed after a tiring day - with another adventurous day on the horizon.

Sunday we were on a bus at 10 am heading to Squamish area for some white-water rafting! What a thrill, it's tough to really describe what a rush it is. We had three boats, six or eight guys in each. Wetsuit, wet suit jacket, life jacket, booties and helmet, we were fully equipped. Paddle in hand - always hold the T grip - we were off down the rapids. I did some rafting like this three years ago in Ottawa, but this was a much different experience because of the scenery. I'd be gazing up at the mountains and we'd hit a class 3 or 4 rapid. That ice water hitting you snaps the daze away in a hurry!

I was asked to write about 500 words and I'm at 522, so I'm signing off.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Jonah

48 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Olympic sprinters?

Horses?

skating%20horse.jpg

Hey Snypers, so in case I missed it, what was your take on the Canucks' draft, especially their first pick?  Pre-draft it sounded like you were onboard for Mittelstadt/Vilardi and Pettersson if trading down, but almost like Pettersson might have been your darkhorse favourite.  In retrospect, think they did the right thing on passing the first two?

On 5/2/2017 at 11:32 AM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I'm not getting too optimistic about this draft. I've always been optimistic - Ehlers, Boeser (worked out!), Dubois... I mean, okay, my guy for this year is Mittelstadt.

If Mittelstadt or Vilardi aren't available at #5, I'd simply say trade down to a 7-15 slot and select Elias Pettersson. Get the most value out of that pick and get some extra assets and/or draft picks back. Pettersson is the go-to if Mittelstadt and Vilardi are gone because, otherwise, anybody chosen at that 5 spot could be considered a "reach." 

Pettersson is an excellent hockey player that has the smarts, competitiveness, and individual skills that can't be taught. You can control only so much but you can't control a player's drive/work ethic or attitude. That makes him coachable and a player that'd be able to slide into the system with ease. Pettersson checks all those boxes - and he's played with Dahlén. Give him a couple years and he'll be golden.

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hey Snypers, so in case I missed it, what was your take on the Canucks' draft, especially their first pick?  Pre-draft it sounded like you were onboard for Mittelstadt/Vilardi and Pettersson if trading down, but almost like Pettersson might have been your darkhorse favourite.  In retrospect, think they did the right thing on passing the first two?

Yeah, there were some attitude things about Mittelstadt and Vilardi that I didn't really like at the end of the day, but Mittelstadt was my favorite going in. He was kind of my Ehlers. Pettersson is sort of like my Nylander from that year, so not far behind at all.
Pettersson is really humble, and he's just as skilled as Mittelstadt, which gives him an edge. I don't think Vilardi or Mittelstadt would handle the city's pressure very well - or the media scrutiny. 

Pettersson was the right pick in so many ways. I compare him a lot to John Tavares. I think he'll be an extraordinary pick down the road, just as long as the Canucks give him enough attention in the areas he needs development in, and leave him alone in the areas he's already refined. Don't try to change him or make him play a game he doesn't know it isn't suited for; build upon his strengths and correct the weaknesses. 

He's already coachable, so coach him and let him find his own way into the system. He could be a superstar at the NHL level if he wants to be... the sky is the ceiling for him. So make him want to be the best player he can be in a Canucks uniform. 

Archived