The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Development Camp 2017 - Updated with roster, schedule

We all know Juolevi's a good skater and passer, but if he's put on muscle and can play with a slightly physical edge, and talking to Salo gain a harder slapshot, he'll round out his game perfectly. People expect him to be a bit of a nothing all-round good defensive player but not elite, but if he gets a slapshot like Salo's and can contend physically in front of the net and along the boards then we may well see a top-10 NHL defenceman in Juolevi in his prime.

"Fedz" on HFboards posted this.. I figured CDC would appreciate it as well!

Today the forwards skated with Linden Marshall and Mike DiPietro in the first group and did skills. Outside and inside edge work followed with some puck protection/net drive work. You could see a fair bit of rust on guys in a few of these drills. Nerves likely a factor too. After an ice clean we saw everyone come out for a skate led by Nolan Baumgartner (no surprise why he is coming with Green..commands respect and is very direct). They split the groups into all 3 zones. One end they worked on receiving hard passes and driving the net. In the neutral zone they were working on opening up for receive passes and tight turns with and without the puck. In the final zone they had a great Forecheck puck recovery drill that turned into a 2v1 against the defender. Finally they had a real good 1v1, 2v1, 3v2 drill encorporating a lot of different skills sets. 

Now for what I am sure all of you want to know...Next was the 4 v 4 scrimmage. Timed shifts, very short. I'd say 40 seconds tops. 

Dahlen had two breakaways, set up by...you guessed it Pettersson. Missed both (one was the post) but one was followed for an easy rebound goal by Pettersson. They only played 2 shifts together during the scrimmage but it was very easy to see their chemistry, particularly in the neutral zone and on zone entry. 

The other star of the day? Jack Rathbone! Beautiful skater with a hard shot that LOVES to get up ice. This kid oozes potential, but will need time to bulk up. I actually think another year @ home playing with Youngstown is great for him. Tempers expectations and will give him 3+ years before he's expected to be a pro. I'm telling you though, watch for this kid! At one point Parizek (I believe the oldest player in camp) cross checked Rathbone to the ice and he didn't hesitate for one second to get up and give him the lumber back. Regardless of the size mismatch. 

Boeser was Boeser...as expected first in line in all drills. Very talkative to players and coaches. He carried himself like a pro but also did not give off the slightest bit of I scored 4 goals in 9 NHL games. 

Gadjovich skates well for his size...If he makes the type of progress Horvat did we will certainly have a player with him. Big, drives the net well and consistently had good touch around the net. 

Lind didn't have a stand out performance but it's easy to see why he was considered a first rounder by many. He's a solid kid, deceptive shot and skates very well. Will be fun to watch a WHL prospect in our fold! 

Gaudette struggled in the first few drills but I wonder if that may have been nerves and/or rust. A lot of these kids are in the gym right now but aren't necessarily skating a ton. Not to mention it's already been a long week in Whistler. This kid has a serious nose for the net. Scored more than a few goals in the 2v1 and 3v2 drills including two absolute beauties (1- faked a shot and stepped into the middle and slid the puck along the ice...cheeky 2 - nice deke in tight against DiPietro who was sprawling.) 

Juolevi's weight gain is evident, no question. They made the smart call shutting him down after London's season ended. Not sure he's gained 20 pounds like Jim says, but he's gained. So smooth, makes a HARD, crisp pass that on at least two occasions forwards were unable to accept. He's a pro in a lot of ways. Great stick in around his net in any 2v1 and 3v2 drills. Closes space quickly. I wonder if sending him to Finland for a year is the answer? After watching him today I think he will earn at least a few games this season. 

I think Gunnarsson is a sleeper pick too. I was very impressed with his mobility today. He's quite smooth especially in the skating drills they did for defenseman after the scrimmage. He has a good stick. It was hard to really see his physicality today but this is more Alex Edler than it is Daniel Rahimi...Having said that I'm not saying he's Alex Edler either! Another year in the SHL and I think we try and bring him over. He is worth a contract already in my opinion. (Take it for what it's worth...I'm no NHL GM!) 

DiPietro didn't blow anyone away but it's obvious to see he is a battler, making a few very nice saves throughout the session. He plays very aggressive and will need to learn how to manage his net a little better to be an NHL goalie. I actually think the two FA's Beck Warm and Linden Marshall looked quite good as well. Maybe it was just a good goalie day overall but there were definitely some shooters on the ice today unlike the last few Prospects Camps I've been too. 

Trent Cull did a great job on the ice and it was evident he was getting cozy with guys he knew he'd likely have in Utica. (Dahlen was a very good example of this) However there was two times I noticed him smiling and saying D'Aoust's name to Scotty Walker after separate nice plays. It's clear the organization likes him, and it's easy to see why. If he can continue to improve his skating he could be a player. I think he's already on a good AHL player path, question is will he ever make that next step. 

Was hoping to see Lockwood's progression from Shawnigan camp last season but he wasn't on the ice today. I'm guessing there was some sort of an injury preventing him from skating as he has definitely been at the camp festivities in Whistler. 

MacEwan was OK, skates well for a big guy but isn't exactly the definition of talent with a puck on his stick. He and Brett McKenzie are similar players for me. I see them topping out as career AHLers in the mould of a Darren Archibald type. Hope I'm wrong but would have to make big strides to be consistent NHL players. 

Molino was beautiful to watch in the skating drills and it's easy to see why he got a contract out of College last year. Not much finish around the end (if any at all today) but his speed gets him there and will likely help him be on the high end of the call up list from Utica. One of the more advanced players at camp. 

Palmu is THICK! I can honestly say size mag not be a concern because he is as wide as he is tall and is hard to knock off his skates. Reports say he may look at playing in the AHL as opposed to Finland this season. Would be interested to see how he does. There could be something here. Was VERY good at all skills drills...no doubt his size is the only thing holding him back. 

Brassard impressed me for a big guy. He's smooth but needs to get a bit quicker in his 1-2 step. Once he's moving he's fun to watch though. I think he's better than Candella from the previous draft. 

Brisebois wasn't exactly noticeable but in a very good ME Vlasic type of way. AGAIN, not saying he's going to be anything of that level but he plays a very similar, simple defensive minded game with. Very few mistakes, but very few home runs. Always the right play very rarely the risky more advantageous play. How he transitions to the pro game will be very interesting. Utica will be fun to watch at the very least! 

Chatfield has a Willie Mitchellesque feel to him. Very aggressive, in your face. Good skater but not particularly great skater. He had a good day and will be another kid to watch in Utica this season. I think he is definitely a pro style defender. I'd say he's at least on par with Brisebois in terms of defensive prospects on the Canucks. 

The one FA that I liked besides Marshall in net was another College player and former BCHLer in Adam Brubacher. Big kid that skates well and has a heavy heavy shot. He will sign a pro deal somewhere out of College after his Junior or Senior season I bet. 

That's all folks, I'll be back tomorrow again. Hope this is a good run down, if anyone wants me to watch for anything in particular, let me know!

16 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

Juolevi at the end is adorable.

From what little I've seen of him I think he's destined to become one of those guys the fan base falls in love with ala Lack, Hutton etc.

I thought Dahlen looked good - he got all those breakaways and he sniped with authority when cutting in on goal. Pettersson looked alright. He and Dahlen were together all the time. Gunnarsson was in-your-face when defending. Virtually the only one hitting. Seem a bit out of place in this non-hitting practice. I believe it was him who he nailed Boeser into the corner boards.

No Lockwood on ice. Boeser has some nice close-in moves. Gaudette received some bad passes when attempting to go around the D. He managed to make something out of nothing but I don't think it'll be his signature move. While a good skater, Rathbone didn't seem to be an outlier in his skating and he allowed Parizuk to get the better of him when he received a second crosscheck that sent him to the ice after he retaliated with a slash on the first. It didn't go further because the whistle went for the line change.

Brisebois broke up a few plays and he sniped one into the net with authority. MacEwen skated well but doesn't look like he passes. Lind, McKenzie not all that noticeable.

Didn't see much of Juolevi - he was on the other side of the rink most of the time. Palmu shot at everything that came his way.

13 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I am dying to hear what other people think of Gaudette. I have only seen a handful of games of his the last two years but from what I've seen he is defiantly the steal of the 2015 draft! 

Yeah. I am going to go check it out as well. Interested in Gaudette as well. Heard from others he was the "steal" of that 2015 draft. 

7 hours ago, JoesRooster said:

"Fedz" on HFboards posted this.. I figured CDC would appreciate it as well!

Thanks for posting that, Joe. Lots of a valuable insight. Love to hear this about Dahlen and Pete. Always very excited to see what we have in our hands with JACK RATHBONE! (Love that kids name). I'm pushing for Juolevi and Boeser to make the team out of camp but wherever they end up will be good for them. Also happy to hear that Palmu is fitting in with all the other prospects. Hope he goes to the AHL route and adds even more depth to our stacked Utica squad. 

On 03/07/2017 at 8:54 PM, Crabcakes said:

I saw a clip somewhere of Gunnarson doing 15 reps of 315 lbs of bench press

It's on the Gunnarson thread.  My technical ability prevents me from pasting the tweet here :(

beast

On 03/07/2017 at 9:39 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No worries. It was me that posted that Twitter video in the other thread.

Here it is again:

mode!

12 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Anyone else going to the Showdown? I'm considering tickets off craigslist. The Rogers Arena Sports Bar promo is interesting as well, though as I understand it you don't have a view of the ice, just the TV. Can someone confirm?

It has view of the ice.. 

From Rogers Arena IG:

ss.png

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

His cross checks will break ribs like Hanzel!! Excited to watch this kid develop!

Beyond the obvious strength and physicality, a very positive takeaway I've seen from the fan "scouting reports" coming out of camp is regarding Gunnarsson's skating. I've read several reports citing him as one of the smoothest skaters during the drills and praising his mobility in the scrimmages. 

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Lot's to see in that but the thing I noticed most was Rathbone's skating looks sublime...

Yeah Rathbone looks pretty smooth.

Gadjovich's stride looks a bit awkward, almost like Bo when he got drafted. Hopefully he can work on that cause it looks he definitely has the size and skill level to play in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Yeah Rathbone looks pretty smooth.

Gadjovich's stride looks a bit awkward, almost like Bo when he got drafted. Hopefully he can work on that cause it looks he definitely has the size and skill level to play in the NHL.

Edges, explosiveness, stride, speed... just effortless *drool*

As for Gadj, yeah, lots of power and long stride but very 'chunky' and lacks that initial explosiveness.

Archived