The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting comments by Doughty on playing for the Leafs

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yup  same goes for Vancouver.  Also, Niedermayer, Kariya 

Now not all of them were ever available, but there were opportunities at times for some of them to make a deal to come here.

If I recall correctly there was a point where the Canucks were after Niedermeyer (and he was interested) but he went to Anaheim to play with his brother. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I find it most interesting that he added most guys DO NOT want to play in TO because they lose their privacy.

unlike the leafs here more people have respect for our players to only talk and not make a big deal of meeting or seeing them

Toronto is all about over the top and have no respect for anyone but themselves cept a few

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would be pretty PO'd if Horvat or Tanev came out and said in the media that they "secretly" want to play for the Leafs. Disrespectful to the organization that made him a millionaire, and the fans. Sounds to me like he knows the Kings are going downhill and he's planting a seed that he wants to be traded to a rebuilding team with Matthews at the helm.

Why? Players move around all the time.  I am sure players dream of playing for their home town team (Look at Sutter and Parise in Minnesota). If all the players from BC said out loud they all secretly wished they wanted to play for the Canucks, i am 100% you would be singing a different tune

But there is also the fact that players like the low key markets where they get their privacy which makes playing for the Canadian teams a bit crazy.

On 2017-06-15 at 9:08 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

I absolutely believe that Doughty could walk around in LA and not be noticed. I was in LA during the playoffs one year and saw maybe one hat and nothing else. 

LA is not a hockey city. Why do they have 2 cups?

To be fair - and, in the interest of being accurate - Doughty doesn't actually live in the city of Los Angeles. He lives in an area of Los Angeles County called the South Bay, as do many of the Kings. Either in Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach, I'm not sure. But, It's where the Kings practice facility is located. He's lived there since he and Wayne Simmonds were housemates up until he was traded to Philly. I highly doubt he or any of his teammates are unrecognizable there. It's a beach community, so, for those who are into that sort of lifestyle, there'd be little reason to ever bother trying to negotiate the freeways to venture into the city of Los Angeles if you really didn't have to. And, for those Los Angeles Kings who reside in the South Bay, they don't. Except for work. 

On 2017-06-15 at 11:23 AM, Alflives said:

I find it most interesting that he added most guys DO NOT want to play in TO because they lose their privacy.

Really, I think the only Toronto native who'd be able to handle it - if what Dewey said is actually true - is P.K. Subban. 

On 6/15/2017 at 11:03 AM, NUCKER67 said:

I would be pretty PO'd if Horvat or Tanev came out and said in the media that they "secretly" want to play for the Leafs. Disrespectful to the organization that made him a millionaire, and the fans. Sounds to me like he knows the Kings are going downhill and he's planting a seed that he wants to be traded to a rebuilding team with Matthews at the helm.

This is absolutely correct. Very douchy if you ask me. 

He's going to be a UFA in a couple years time and will only be 29. That's when the Leafs will really start hitting their prime. If they can fit him under their cap at that point, Doughty would turn that team into a Cup champion pretty much overnight. A veteran, Cup winning Norris trophy winner is all that team needs to go over the top, especially if the young kids are in their prime and have a few playoff wins under their belt. 

2019-2020: Toronto-Edmonton final?

On 2017-06-15 at 9:08 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

I absolutely believe that Doughty could walk around in LA and not be noticed. I was in LA during the playoffs one year and saw maybe one hat and nothing else. 

LA is not a hockey city. Why do they have 2 cups?

I was there after they won it and saw 1 person with a Kings shirt.  

Archived