The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

You've covered all the reasons right there, and for sure its Jim building some loyalty with Pettersson and I'm sure they want to use a good year in Sweden to get the most they can in ELC bonuses when he does sign. Sure its better for the Canucks to pressure to sign now, but Jim's shown he's willing to take an approach thats good for the player too. I'm fine with it, I think it helps to create a team where elite players want to be.  

I suppose. I just don't like the "cover story" they're giving about waiting on the contract somehow being tied to development reasons. To me, it has to be about money. Again, I won't re-state my earlier posts (as the full details take some explaining), but waiting a year on the contract has a potential to actually earn Pettersson millions more over his career.

If this is management throwing Pettersson a bone and giving him an extra "bonus," I'm actually fine with the approach. He's worth keeping happy. I just don't like them blowing smoke up our butts telling us that waiting on the ELC is better for his development. Whether he signs or not doesn't affect where he plays (when it comes to the SHL). It just (potentially) affects how quickly his ELC years burn off.

I think it's most likely that both sides fully appreciate the consequences and are happy with it (especially Pettersson's camp). It's just that JB has been such a straight shooter in the press (to his own detriment at times) so when he give these PR type answers, it's hard not to think in the back of my mind that he just might actually believe what he's saying.

But yeah, I expect JB knows what he's doing and is just running a little interference with the "development" angle.

Still, for me at least, it would be refreshing to hear them actually say that they're waiting on the deal because Pettersson's camp prefers to exploit the age loophole (late birthday) when it comes to slide risk. I don't think the fan base would really be soured on Pettersson just because he's being smart about his money.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Probably between 30 to 50K. I think I remember reading that the team has a total salary budget of about 5 million USD.

Probably a little more than the range you give and there are some "perks" you get in Europe like housing, car allowance and a few other nice things that vary by league/team.  The big difference (other than total budget) between SEL/DEL/Finnish etc. and the NHL is the range of salaries on a team is not that high.   Top end players, e.g. on EP's team, will get about 150,000 to 200,000 or about 1/25th of the overall salary budget so the bottom end is typically about 1/2 of that (75 to 100,000).    Has always been that way - just has.   They are more "quiet" about contract values than NHL, but if I were to guess EP would likely be in the 100,000 K range plus the above noted perks.   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But yeah, I expect JB knows what he's doing and is just running a little interference with the "development" angle.

Still, for me at least, it would be refreshing to hear them actually say that they're waiting on the deal because Pettersson's camp prefers to exploit the age loophole (late birthday) when it comes to slide risk. I don't think the fan base would really be soured on Pettersson just because he's being smart about his money.

Bingo.

I think if he made more out of Pettersson doing this to earn more later, it just puts unnecessary pressure on the kid before he's even put on skates for us. Benning has also made it clear he's not going to talk contract issues about players in the media, and thats to his credit. So maybe thats where the 'development' focus is coming from, not so much to bs the fan base vs. just not talking contract issues publicly. 

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Probably a little more than the range you give and there are some "perks" you get in Europe like housing, car allowance and a few other nice things that vary by league/team.  The big difference (other than total budget) between SEL/DEL/Finnish etc. and the NHL is the range of salaries on a team is not that high.   Top end players, e.g. on EP's team, will get about 150,000 to 200,000 or about 1/25th of the overall salary budget so the bottom end is typically about 1/2 of that (75 to 100,000).    Has always been that way - just has.   They are more "quiet" about contract values than NHL, but if I were to guess EP would likely be in the 100,000 K range plus the above noted perks.   

Not bad for an 18 year old!

28 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not bad for an 18 year old!

Professional players in Europe can do just fine.   Cost of living in Sweden is high but if housing and vehicle are taken care of, that REALLY helps.   Food is a lot more than Canada but you don't have to buy a lot on your own as team meals pretty much everyday.   As guys get older and have families and want a house etc., then the difference matters more (to North America) but as a single guy, playing hockey in Europe is both fun and you can actually save a fair bit of money up for when you eventually come back to NA (if that is your plan).    I can say from direct experience with both, travel in Europe is a lot less elegant though - more like CHL (lol....bus rides that never end, 1/2 the bus snoring, one washroom at back that smells like some guy needs medical attention at next stop and crap seats that just don't quite work for anyone over Hobbit size).

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Professional players in Europe can do just fine.   Cost of living in Sweden is high but if housing and vehicle are taken care of, that REALLY helps.   Food is a lot more than Canada but you don't have to buy a lot on your own as team meals pretty much everyday.   As guys get older and have families and want a house etc., then the difference matters more (to North America) but as a single guy, playing hockey in Europe is both fun and you can actually save a fair bit of money up for when you eventually come back to NA (if that is your plan).    I can say from direct experience with both, travel in Europe is a lot less elegant though - more like CHL (lol....bus rides that never end, 1/2 the bus snoring, one washroom at back that smells like some guy needs medical attention at next stop and crap seats that just don't quite work for anyone over Hobbit size).

WE have a home town boy playing pro soccer in Poland for 600,000 Euros a season. Car and condo provided. Do not know how he is taxed. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

WE have a home town boy playing pro soccer in Poland for 600,000 Euros a season. Car and condo provided. Do not know how he is taxed. 

Nice!   No question, chasing the bouncy round ball and going down like you are shot if the wind of another human comes near you will earn you more money than hockey ni Europe but nice to hear about a good Canadian kid getting in on it too!

On 9/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, Alflives said:

Where was any player (other than the goalie) from the opposing team?  Pettersson doesn't panic though, and just shoot.  He has nerves that kid.  Really like this pick. 

i tried to plus 1 this post but i got an error message "you are not allowed to give reputation this user" LOL

44 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Well, as promised I'm giving you some stuff that you might not get over here. 
Earlier today Elias had an interview with our local radio and the translation is something like this:

(R is for Reporter and EP... well, you can guess that)

R: What do you need to improve to make it in the NHL?
EP: There's really no secret that I need to get stronger, but I'm very aware of that and it's something I'm working on every day
R: Just bulk up basically?
EP: Exactly! I'm a bit thin as it is right now...
R: ...Thin for a hockey player maybe - you're twice my size haha!
EP: Haha absolutely not! But yeah... gaining some muscles and I'll be ready for North America
R: Do you feel any pressure regarding that you need to have a "good season" or even next year because if you don't the Canucks wouldn't let you go over seas?
EP: Nah. I don't feel pressure, I never feel pressure. I've joined an organization in Sweden that are very driven, with superb work ethics in every aspect of the day. I'm really pleased with my choice of team in Sweden and they will make sure that I'm developing into the type of player that's going to make it in the NHL.
R: .... But, are you feeling that your stay in the Lakers needs to be really good or?
EP: *Sigh* no, it's nothing I'm thinking about. It's not like... let's say I have a bad game and then think "Well, next game I need to score two goals otherwise the Canucks wouldn't want me to join them in the future". All I can do is playing a solid game, doing my very best and the rest is just going to happen. It's always been like that for me.
R: Yeah, well, it worked out last season...
EP: Yeah, but... it's not guaranteed. It's hard work, every single day. You can't be successful without hard work.
R: Vancouver are counting on that you're going to be one of their best players in the future, since you were drafted as #5. In most of the cases, players that are drafted as high as that have become very successful. With a fast car in the garage, money in the bank and so on. Have you even tried to grasp the fact that it might be you in the future?
EP: Well, obviously you start to daydream from time to time... That many NHL-players earn a lot of money, and are living in their own dream world. But they have worked super hard and they've been driven to get to that level too. And it's always been my dream and I'm motivated to make it happen.
R: Since it all happened this summer, have you felt the fact that people are recognizing you on the streets? Wanting to take selfies and getting your autograph?
EP: Well, there have been some change that's for sure. Some Canucks fans have sent me messages with motivating stuff like "you're our next superstar" and "you're going to become one of the greatest" it's super exciting. I take my time to answer some of the messages, just hoping that it'll make their day. 
R: Do you enjoy being a celebrity?
EP: Naah, celebrity is a stretch. I think hockey-people in Sweden and Canucks-fans knows who I am. But I don't really care if I'm being honest. I just try to have fun and enjoy my life. But I'm always going to take good care of my fans, if they want a picture or an autograph I'm never going to say no. I've been a fan too growing up, if it'll make someone's day, that means everything. 

Well... I think you might have a future captain if everything goes as planned ^_^

awesome man, thanks a lot for that.  Look forward to hearing more from you

5 hours ago, Lakers said:

Earlier today Elias had an interview with our local radio and the translation is something like this:

EP: There's really no secret that I need to get stronger, but I'm very aware of that and it's something I'm working on every day
EP: Haha absolutely not! But yeah... gaining some muscles and I'll be ready for North America
R: Do you feel any pressure regarding that you need to have a "good season" or even next year because if you don't the Canucks wouldn't let you go over seas?
EP: Nah. I don't feel pressure, I never feel pressure. I've joined an organization in Sweden that are very driven, with superb work ethics in every aspect of the day. I'm really pleased with my choice of team in Sweden and they will make sure that I'm developing into the type of player that's going to make it in the NHL.
R: .... But, are you feeling that your stay in the Lakers needs to be really good or?
EP: *Sigh* no, it's nothing I'm thinking about. It's not like... let's say I have a bad game and then think "Well, next game I need to score two goals otherwise the Canucks wouldn't want me to join them in the future". All I can do is playing a solid game, doing my very best and the rest is just going to happen. It's always been like that for me.
EP: Yeah, but... it's not guaranteed. It's hard work, every single day. You can't be successful without hard work.
R: Vancouver are counting on that you're going to be one of their best players in the future, since you were drafted as #5. In most of the cases, players that are drafted as high as that have become very successful. With a fast car in the garage, money in the bank and so on. Have you even tried to grasp the fact that it might be you in the future?
EP: Well, obviously you start to daydream from time to time... That many NHL-players earn a lot of money, and are living in their own dream world. But they have worked super hard and they've been driven to get to that level too. And it's always been my dream and I'm motivated to make it happen.
R: Since it all happened this summer, have you felt the fact that people are recognizing you on the streets? Wanting to take selfies and getting your autograph?
EP: Well, there have been some change that's for sure. Some Canucks fans have sent me messages with motivating stuff like "you're our next superstar" and "you're going to become one of the greatest" it's super exciting. I take my time to answer some of the messages, just hoping that it'll make their day. 
EP: Naah, celebrity is a stretch. I think hockey-people in Sweden and Canucks-fans knows who I am. But I don't really care if I'm being honest. I just try to have fun and enjoy my life. But I'm always going to take good care of my fans, if they want a picture or an autograph I'm never going to say no. I've been a fan too growing up, if it'll make someone's day, that means everything. 

Well... I think you might have a future captain if everything goes as planned ^_^

Thanks for this 

6 hours ago, Lakers said:

great stuff, thanks for taking the time to translate it. Sounds like a great kid, very "Sedin-like". Dahlen seems to be very similar in attitude as well, I still can't believe Ottawa gave him up. 

• Upvote 2