The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The 94 SCF was arguably one of the best, most entertaining (and closest) finals in the history of the sport. I highly recommend you watch it (I believe the full series is actually available on Youtube).

But while that Canucks squad certainly had some good players, they were nowhere near the league dominating force that the 2009-2012 Canucks team were. That team was in the top class of the league in those 3 seasons. Deep and exceedingly talented with best or near-best in league 5v5, PP and PK performance.

They were good enough to be labeled a legit 'SC contender'. The 94 team, again while talented, always has had an element of 'lucky to be there'. 

I've always thought that if 09-12 had 1/4 of the amount of heart/grit/perseverance/whatever-you-call-it as the 94 team that we would have dummied all contenders (I'd even say the same for WCE era).

The 94 team had loads of talent too, but what got them close was sheer passion and determination. The same thing that made them so unbelievably entertaining.

• Upvote 2

I never felt the 2011 Canucks were actually going to win it all.  I'm not sure why... maybe jaded from past failures.  The 1994 team was truly a surprise, but I really thought it was going to happen.  So much so that I argued with my friend that Lafayettes post actually went in.  Then I punched a hole in my bedroom wall.  I had to drywall and paint it myself so my parents didn't see it.  I loved that 1994 team.  So close!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

13o5ge.jpg

That wasn't a feather soft pass either.  To get that one timer off with that kind of authority on a hard pass is incredibly hard, even for the best players in the world.  I get happier about this pick every day.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

That wasn't a feather soft pass either.  To get that one timer off with that kind of authority on a hard pass is incredibly hard, even for the best players in the world.  I get happier about this pick every day.

Ya, he's got something special. Glad we finally made a risky pick. Can't wait to see what he does this year. 

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Watched the entire Växjö Lakers game today (they won 6-3) and of his four Champions League games so far, this was EPs best game in my opinion.  He was dominant with puck control on a number of shifts.   Scored a nice goal on a sniped one-timer (shown above in thread) which gives him four points in four games (tied for second on his team) but more importantly was his play away from the puck and how he started rushes, completed plays, backchecked etc.   He looked like it was far more "these guys may be a lot older, but I belong" and he was quite often the most dangerous guy on the ice (Liberec tried to track him with their top Dman but that didn't work).

I know this guy was drafted by Canucks as a centre but he looks legit on the off-wing.    Nice player.

Any observations on Jašek from that game? I'm deep in the woods for a long weekend camping trip and just found a signal (and I'm checking on Champions League games--says a lot about me :lol:).

Looks like Jašek centred Liberec's third line that game, and maybe got eaten up a bit (4/10 on draws, no points, was a -2, and took a misconduct penalty).

I think Jašek is much better on the wing but it seems like he slots into the middle every once in a while. He holds his own, and is a decent defensive centre, but his offense usually works better from the wing IMO.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Any observations on Jašek from that game? I'm deep in the woods for a long weekend camping trip and just found a signal (and I'm checking on Champions League games--says a lot about me :lol:).

Looks like Jašek centred Liberec's third line that game, and maybe got eaten up a bit (4/10 on draws, no points, was a -2, and took a misconduct penalty).

I think Jašek is much better on the wing but it seems like he slots into the middle every once in a while. He holds his own, and is a decent defensive centre, but his offense usually works better from the wing IMO.

Not really all that noticeable to be honest.  Skated miles but not so much getting anywhere if that makes sense.   Likely still in a bit of "awe" with older players (?).

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not really all that noticeable to be honest.  Skated miles but not so much getting anywhere if that makes sense.   Likely still in a bit of "awe" with older players (?).

Yeah, that fits with what I'd assumed reading his stats line. Kind of a shame he got shifted down the lineup (from 2nd to 3rd line) and played out of position ( if indeed he moved from RW to C).

Was hoping he'd finally convert on a goal, given he'd been getting quite a few shots in previous games. And also would have liked to see him keep his point/game rate going. 

But just one gane and hopefully he bounces back next outing.

True about him still being young. Sometimes it's easy to forget he's just turned 20 and is only really a year older than Pettersson. And Jašek remains a "young" 20, with a very boyish appearance and a stature and build not all that different from Pettersson's.

Of course Lukas doesn't have Elias's elite skill set, and I don't mean to compare them, beyond the timeline it'll likely require before either of them are fully matured and playing the "man's version" of their respective professional games (Pettersson as a first liner and Jašek possibly as a 3rd line option--if he manages to develop and reach potential).

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Watched the entire Växjö Lakers game today (they won 6-3) and of his four Champions League games so far, this was EPs best game in my opinion.  He was dominant with puck control on a number of shifts.   Scored a nice goal on a sniped one-timer (shown above in thread) which gives him four points in four games (tied for second on his team) but more importantly was his play away from the puck and how he started rushes, completed plays, backchecked etc.   He looked like it was far more "these guys may be a lot older, but I belong" and he was quite often the most dangerous guy on the ice (Liberec tried to track him with their top Dman but that didn't work).

I know this guy was drafted by Canucks as a centre but he looks legit on the off-wing.    Nice player.

So after four games he's already looking like he's on a trajectory to be dominant in this league?!

Hard not to be a little over-excited right now.

I like the kids Jam.  He has a quality to him that Horvat had, that Boeser showed signs of.  The ability to be a go to player as the competition increases.  OJ does have that as well.  It seem to be big factor in JB's drafting.  EP has the makings of becoming a player that Vancouver has never had.  I am seeing why Linden said neither to drafting Patrick or Nico at number one.  In many ways, I think JB got his guy at 5.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I like the kids Jam.  He has a quality to him that Horvat had, that Boeser showed signs of.  The ability to be a go to player as the competition increases.  OJ does have that as well.  It seem to be big factor in JB's drafting.  EP has the makings of becoming a player that Vancouver has never had.  I am seeing why Linden said neither to drafting Patrick or Nico at number one.  In many ways, I think JB got his guy at 5.  

Really like the goal he scored.  Sure the finish was elite skill, but the way he keeps moving his feet to be available for the pass showed his elite processing.  He's got the skill, and the brains.  He will be the best player from his draft, and an elite scorer for our team.  I also noticed, after the goal, during the celebration of his goal just how tall he is.  

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Demko versus Canada at WJC was another great example (and Dipietro last year at the Mem cup, for that matter).

Skill and character is their target for sure. Love this group of kids.

• Upvote 1