The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

This is great news everyone! If Sekeres is reporting this, Pettersson's all but guaranteed to be signed by the draft now! :lol:

lol you're right!

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

"We are hearing rumblings..." On CDC. FTFY Sekeres.

Would like to hear the signing coming true though.

It's been a known tactic for the Agent to always or as much as they can look like their client always have options even if you don't sign him etc etc. 

In this case him being a prospect Canucks are the only NHL team, and of course Vaxjo.  Being a good agent you always want to make it look like your client have many options.

so there is nothing really new here to look at, and nothing we don't already know, Vaxjo have always been an option for plan B, anyways if we don't sign him, so yes, they are rumbling away at really nothing.  Pettersson already made it clear he wants to make the NHL as soon as possible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Oh yeah I'm sure before the tournament started you wished he would of turned the invitation down so that he could rest and eat.  Kinda wish Bo wasn't there either so he can rest, oh and every player who played playoff hockey should of turned their invitations down too.  You're right, I'm sure his plans were just to slow down and eat for a month

I'm sorry he hurt his thumb it won't affect his career! \its not a big deal, Its not a scf game he is disappointed for sure. But I doubt it holds him back from being ready in Sept. I've said lots of bone headed things and it happens. Maybe a broken leg, Acl tear or many other things would be a a bigger deal.

I suppose it’s possible Pettersson could sign with the Canucks and still go back to Växjö for a year on a loan. Or he could get a European assignment clause and go to Sweden (instead of the AHL) if he doesn’t make the Canucks out of camp. Lots of possibilities. But most likely he signs in the next few weeks and then makes the Canucks 2018-19 opening lineup.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

You're wasting space writing paragraphs when all I did was ask a simple yes or no question and you struggle to actually man up and answer.  Soft as butter

Yeh it sucks for sure. I see your point after thinking about it. Hopefully he isn't made of glass. Remember Mcavid's broken collarbone? He will need to be tougher especially if he gets any faster. 

One of my favorite games back in the arcade days.

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

3-4 weeks of not being able to use a hand is a body blow, it doesn't matter what type of injury it is or who it happens to.  A body blow, not a knockout punch

EP's injury was not a knock out but I here what you're saying, enough "BODY BLOWS" could lead to a knock out.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A broken thumb is a body blow?    Do you really follow contact sports?    You realize that to the player it is, at best, a mild inconvenience forgotten about 3 seconds after the cast is off.    

No but too many "BODY BLOWS" could lead to a knock out. 

You are also correct that he could do lots of other things to work out but not being able to use your thumb does limit some weight training as well as any stck handling, shooting, etc. 

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose it’s possible Pettersson could sign with the Canucks and still go back to Växjö for a year on a loan. Or he could get a European assignment clause and go to Sweden (instead of the AHL) if he doesn’t make the Canucks out of camp. Lots of possibilities. But most likely he signs in the next few weeks and then makes the Canucks 2018-19 opening lineup.

Please please please sign him and send him to play centre for the season with Dahlén in Timrå :wub:

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'll have you know I tore ligaments in an ankle playing the manly sport of  badminton. Heck of a lot worse injury than EP40's little sore thumb, hockey one :lol:

Trying to hold your beer level in one hand while swinging at a birdie with the other were you.....

5 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

You are also correct that he could do lots of other things to work out but not being able to use your thumb does limit some weight training as well as any stck handling, shooting, etc. 

Clearly a devastating situation as this kid's stickhandling and shooting need a LOT of work.   :ph34r:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Nothing is escaping me all I said was it is a minor injury and an inconveniance.

The question was  "Is there any downside to Elias getting injured?" it wasn't "are injuries a good thing or a bad thing?"

Now answer the question yes or no

Asked and answered.   Downside was dual - so yes - your use of internet space and Sweden not having their move creative player.

The question remains - odd.   Let's try this, yes or no, is there any downside to your continued fixation with trying to make something out of nothing?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I'll concede that "body blow" is a bit of hyperbole on my part. On it's own, not a big deal, but it hurts a bit more because of the cumulative effects of similar things and far worse things (death of Luc Bourdon) over the years. Rob, you seem to like to in deconstruct member's posts to point out flaws of logic in them. Well, being a fan of team sometimes means logic goes out the window. At this point, going by posts you have written in the past I could see you responding by saying that most EVERY teams fan base has suffered it's share of slings and arrows. Perhaps. But the Canucks are MY team, my first memories of watching them manifesting in the late-70's with my dad so I am more focused on what feels like more than our fair share of misfortune. In the back of my mind, before the World Championships, a little voice in my head whispered "Betcha EP gets hurt". Yeah, fractured thumb, no biggie. But we were robbed of what could have been a EP vs. Bo showdown....that would have been a wonderful treat. But it just seems like we don't get nice things. Before that, Boeser's freak back fracture which cost him a shot at the Calder.

Rob, you write well, and seem to possess a deep knowledge of the game, but you seem to get a fair amount of satisfaction, almost glee, in poking fun at the angst that some of us Canuck fans feel. I think I read somewhere that you consider yourself more of a Hurricane of Carolina fan? Now, I value your contribution here despite the odd time you seem to descend from the clouds above to dispense wisdom to the great unwashed masses of Canuck nation....but I'm interested in what moves you to contribute as much as you do here. What is the draw for you?

Apologies if you have addressed this elsewhere. 

Cheers.

You can try and psycho analyze from posting but you have it wrong.   I just find it amazing people can be fans but be so unrealistic.  There is no particular bad luck with your team.   There is no relationship from generation to generation (e.g. what your team did 20 years ago has nothing to do with today's team....zip, zilch, nada...it is like someone saying "Oilers are find as we won cups in 80s....."...wow, really?   Sorry, your current team's fortunes have nothing to do with Gretzky's Oilers other than it happened in same city).   What I find curious is the fixation with some in feeling hard done by and taking an everyday hockey occurrence and turning it into something it is not.   If that offends you (and clearly it does), sincere apologies but I cannot help on commenting as it simply seems so foreign to me that people would want to create something out of nothing.

Try draw is it is interesting to exchange ideas about hockey - there are some truly insightful posters on this site....hard to find a site like this.    However, there are a handful that seem here simply to talk about darkness and dread and history and projections etc. that simply don't make sense...to me.    If they don't like my perspective, simply ignore.   Motivation to share is probably same as anyone.   If you look at my time at this site and total posts, I am middle of the road (some are far more intense in activity) but during certain parts of the year I have way more time to do this...and it shows.   My life has and remains related to hockey and evaluating those who play etc. so insights here are of value to me - as is having to comment on people to say things about these professional (and budding professional) elite athletes that is so far fetched and unrealistic is needs to be commented upon (in my opinion, clearly not yours).

Cheers  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How is it a strange summary?  It's a body blow to Canuck fans because we deal with this crap all the time, it takes him out of a tournament and will impact his training slightly, but only for a short period of time..   It is very inconvenient that this happened, and yes it is a minor injury.   Literally the only thing I'm trying to do is make someone admit this, instead of sugar coating everything

Like what the hell is the issue here?   It sucks that he got hurt doesn't it?  Wouldn't it be more beneficial if he was playing against great players right now and then able to continue training right afterwards if that was his plan?  Lol like WHY are people arguing with me against this?  This is actually ridiculous I feel like I am being Punk'd at times

It’s a Strange summary because you’re downplaying it as a minor inconvenience on one hand while acting like the world very well may be over on the other.

Anything he added on to his already historic year was icing on the cake... the fact that he was even at worlds is nuts.  Now he gets a couple weeks off and will be able to start training with the use of his healed thumb about the time the Stanley cup champs do... he should be getting used to that timeline for training anyways ;) 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

A broken thumb is so minor that anyone making a big deal of it is laughable. You want him to put on weight then taking a break will help with that. You don't gain muscle when you exercise, you gain muscle during the off day when your muscles repair themselves and add more strength to that area. He had a long season  with playoffs and played two tournaments this year. A mandatory break is probably going to actually do him better in the long run. I would like and assume Pettersson will sign and play for the Canucks next year but if he doesn't it will still be exciting seeing him break all the records in the league he plays in.

Edited by taskicon
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

4 years draft rights on European players.

Or more technically: 4 years rights for any player drafted while under license to a team from an IIHF member organization that signed the European transfer agreement. ;) 

Thank you.  Excellent.  EP can season in Sweden for 3 more years then. ;) He should be ready then!