The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Eriksson is likely our best role model for Elias, now that the Sedins are  gone. These last two seasons are an anomaly for him statistically, and with his overall successful career he has a lot he could teach Elias. Both in hockey and life.

There's also the chance of Elias reigniting Eriksson. It seems like older players taking younger players under their wing often brings them back a lot of energy. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, richado said:

Eriksson is likely our best role model for Elias, now that the Sedins are  gone. These last two seasons are an anomaly for him statistically, and with his overall successful career he has a lot he could teach Elias. Both in hockey and life.

There's also the chance of Elias reigniting Eriksson. It seems like older players taking younger players under their wing often brings them back a lot of energy. 

:mellow::unsure::(

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't know if I'd go as far as 'fan' (I never wanted him signed in the first place). While he is SEVERELY overpaid thus far for his offensive production, he's a very solid 5v5 2 way player and one of our best PK'ers as you said. 

I'd actually like to see him paired with Gaudette as he plays well with a two way pivot.

yup that works too. And... if someone actually uses him in the top 6 he might start producing like one too. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup that works too. And... if someone actually uses him in the top 6 he might start producing like one too. 

He'd likely fit well with Horvat but IMO, we're likely to have better options than him there and quite frankly, he hasn't particularly earned it over any of them.

20 minutes ago, richado said:

They are both Swede's and it is likely that is where EP starts the season...with Eriksson...and there is a good chance EP sets Eriksson up with some wide open nets to look at...

It will come down too if it is worth keeping EP with him if those chances don't get buried regularly...like Boeser or even Baerstchi would...

If Eriksson starts burying his chances then fine...keep feeding him 3rd line minutes with Gaudette as center...

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Virtanen / Sutter / Goldie

Eriksson / Gaudette / EP

Dahlen / Gaunce or Motte / Liepsic or Jasek

MacEwen

Gagner traded and Granlund too if Dahlen is ready to go....

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He'd likely fit well with Horvat but IMO, we're likely to have better options than him there and quite frankly, he hasn't particularly earned it over any of them.

them's fightin' words :lol:

I disagree completely, but also understand the pov. When he was in the top 6 he produced, when he wasn't he didn't. He's spent about 1/2 the time he usually did in a top 6 role with us, and he's produced 1/2 of what he normally did before we got him. Seems clear to me. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

them's fightin' words :lol:

I disagree completely, but also understand the pov. When he was in the top 6 he produced, when he wasn't he didn't. He's spent about 1/2 the time he usually did in a top 6 role with us, and he's produced 1/2 of what he normally did. Seems clear to me. 

Eriksson since becoming a Canuck is 0.41PPG.

Baer in that same time frame is 0.53PPG

Leip (albeit in limited action) as a Canuck was 0.64PPG

Kane, should we actually sign him, would also be a better option (and likely easily above 0.5PPG as well).

Less scoring = less offensive opportunity. You want that spot? EARN it.

Yes, I recognize a lot of that time he has spent playing in a checking role and he likely would have produced more given more offensive opportunity. More than those other options? Probably not, likely at best, on par. That's also a bit of a chicken and egg issue in that he wasn't producing well and hence was demoted to more of a checking vs scoring role. You have to actually score if you want a scoring role.

From a 200 ft game perspective Louis has been good.  He just hasn't scored like a $6M forward.  Would probably be a good choice with EP.  Don't know who would centre.  Not Sutter, he has a different job, Gagner on the 4th seems most likely (that makes me feel a little sick to the stomach to say), Bo will be first line so probably no more than spot duty and power play.  Would also like to see EP with Virt but can't have Loui and Virt with him as need someone as centre.

Maybe he will be able to get Gagner and Loui scoring.  God knows he has the raw talents to lift their games.  They have both shown an ability to be complimentary scorers if someone can drive the play.

Eriksson had been given top 6 minutes, both with the Sedins (though not for all that long) and with Bo at times. I think he looked fine with Bo, but other combinations looked better. Nevertheless, we'll see how it plays out. I'm pretty much in agreement with RDF's proposed lines there initially (barring some other signing) unless Dahlen shows more during camp. Certainly will be an interesting preseason next year.

3 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

(barring some other signing) 

Come on Kane and Roussel! *crosses fingers*

Kane, Horvat, Boeser 

Roussel, Sutter, Leipsic (match up/counter punch line)

Baer/Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen (sheltered offensive line)

Granlund, Gaudette, Eriksson

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Come on Kane and Roussel! *crosses fingers*

Kane, Horvat, Boeser 

Roussel, Sutter, Leipsic (match up line)

Baer/Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen (sheltered offensive line)

Granlund, Gaudette, Eriksson

I know there have been rumors about Kane to Vancouver in the past and the fact he is from there could? mean we have a shot at him.

Are there, or have there been, rumors about the Canucks being interested in Roussel?

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Are there, or have there been, rumors about the Canucks being interested in Roussel?

Haven't heard but if he makes it to UFA, he's just the sort of player I think Benning would target. A 'mid range' UFA  that won't likely break the bank or require max term, excellent replacement for Dors, hard to play against, can fill in occasionally at C etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Haven't heard but if he makes it to UFA, he's just the sort of player I think Benning would target. A 'mid range' UFA  that won't likely break the bank or require max term, excellent replacement for Dors, hard to play against, can fill in occasionally at C etc.

And he's one of the biggest pricks in the league. We need one of those. I want teams to hate playing us again. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

And he's one of the biggest pricks in the league. We need one of those. I want teams to hate playing us again. 

Yes he is ::D

That was included in my 'hard to play against' B)

Shouldn't be a hard sell either. We can pay him and offer him a lot (2nd line equivalent) of playing time in a beautiful city on an up and coming team.

Edited by aGENT

38 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Yeah, but you want pricks who are loved by their teammates.  Burrows is a great example: his teammates love him, everybody else hates him.

I'm not sure even Kane's teammates like him.

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Yeah, but you want pricks who are loved by his teammates.  Burrows is a great example: his teammates love him, everybody else hates him.

I'm not sure even Kane's teammates like him.

From Winnipeg to Buffalo Kane appeared to not be well liked by his teammates, especially in Winnipeg.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Eriksson since becoming a Canuck is 0.41PPG.

Baer in that same time frame is 0.53PPG

Leip (albeit in limited action) as a Canuck was 0.64PPG

Kane, should we actually sign him, would also be a better option (and likely easily above 0.5PPG as well).

Less scoring = less offensive opportunity. You want that spot? EARN it.

Yes, I recognize a lot of that time he has spent playing in a checking role and he likely would have produced more given more offensive opportunity. More than those other options? Probably not, likely at best, on par. That's also a bit of a chicken and egg issue in that he wasn't producing well and hence was demoted to more of a checking vs scoring role. You have to actually score if you want a scoring role.

meh - how do you earn it off the 3rd line with Sutter? Baer was gifted top 6 minutes imo. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh - how do you earn it off the 3rd line with Sutter? Baer was gifted top 6 minutes imo. 

He played a TONNE of time over the last couple years with the twins and some with Horvat. He didn't perform. Plain and simple.

Baer scored at a higher pace, as I noted. And when Baer hasn't played well, he was also demoted/benched. He wasn't gifted anything, he's worked hard and improved a lot since we acquired him and if anything is more a symptom of a lack of any better options (that's changing) than 'gifted' anything. He out played LE in an offensive role.

• Upvote 1