The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Darius said:

Pettersson related stuff in Friedman's 31 thoughts

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-patrick-kane-william-nylander/

12. The Canucks produced a draft video after Pettersson’s fifth-overall selection in 2017, revealing they felt safe trading down one spot with Vegas, but were worried about the Rangers — picking seventh. One executive indicated that if Pettersson had followed top pick Nico Hischier to North America the season beforehand, the current Canuck would have been No. 1. Another disagreed, if only because it is so hard to be dominant with his body structure.

“You need to be special if you’re built the way he is,” a third said of Pettersson, who’s currently listed at 6’2″ and 176 pounds on the Canucks’ website. “I had no doubt that he was the most talented player in his draft class. Him not playing in North America and being so physically raw prevented him [from going] first overall in my opinion.”

The Canucks were handed a tough, tough schedule to start this season, but that’s probably good for Pettersson, who will learn what it’s like to be the focus of a game plan when you don’t have last change.

Well it's about time the Canucks got some draft luck and it's been long overdue.  This makes up for the all the Jason Herter's the Canucks have drafted(Sorry Jason, I still have your Upper Deck card)

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

You might have more of a point if there wasn't a pretty obvious and consistent pattern.... 

Not my cup of tea personally, but I don't begrudge those who get some cathartic release from pointing out the flaws in the systemic, reactionary 'haterade' posts.

Eh, I still think it's in bad spirits to do that type of thing. Why stoop to the lowest common denominator, except to accentuate the divides on the board for arbitrary reasons? 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Eh, I still think it's in bad spirits to do that type of thing. Why stoop to the lowest common denominator, except to accentuate the divides on the board for arbitrary reasons? 

Like I said, not my cup of tea but...

• Cheers 1

It can be fun to look and see people's comments of the past, but I'd agree that the reason for it shouldn't be to go after anyone. It should be more out of fun than anything.

The last time I checked, people were allowed to have differing opinions and people are allowed to disagree with others' opinions. However, the problem comes when people start to get emotionally involved to the point where they are merely saying "I'm right you're wrong." It almost turns into the same mentality of that argument back in kindergarden where you say your dad can beat up my dad because he's older while my grandpa could totally beat up your dad!

And BOTH sides are guilty of this.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I absolutely agree with you. Even Bob Mckenzie had Jake slated in the early second. If JV had been drafted in the 2nd round he would be a fan favourite. That being said, we got an NHL player in Jake Virtanen, and for that we should be greatful...  be patient, there's more and more consistent flashes of greatness in his game. 

Never.  Show us the link to your statement.  He had 7th in his final ranking.

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

How many nicknames can one man have? I nominate "Wonderboy" complete with theme song. Bring back the goal song for Wonderboy!

I dont know if players have presentationsongs in the NHL, in Sweden the lineup players have songs when presentated, this would fit EP

14 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I absolutely agree with you. Even Bob Mckenzie had Jake slated in the early second. If JV had been drafted in the 2nd round he would be a fan favourite. That being said, we got an NHL player in Jake Virtanen, and for that we should be greatful...  be patient, there's more and more consistent flashes of greatness in his game. 

Virtanen wouldn't have been picked if he was from anywhere else but BC. Ehlers and Nylander had a ton more talent. But then again, I heard Benning said they were really hoping for Dal Colle, so could've been worse. Im not sure Dal Colle will ever pan out, like you mentioned, at least we got a more than competent NHL player with upside rather than a guy can't even crack an NHL roster

2 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

People Keeps talking about "what if EP had a twin"... Anyone thought about what ut would take to get his big brother from Predators? Won Milwaukee scoring last year and still haven't even got a chance in the NHL.. Think they would give him up? 

He's about to turn 25 and had 1 decent season in the A after 2 decent seasons in Sweden.

Yeah, I don't think the Preds are waiting for him to turn into a star, we could probably create a package if we really wanted to.

11 minutes ago, nzan said:

He's about to turn 25 and had 1 decent season in the A after 2 decent seasons in Sweden.

Yeah, I don't think the Preds are waiting for him to turn into a star, we could probably create a package if we really wanted to.

Please remember that all CDC 'trades' must include someone retaining 50% of salary and there has to be a 4th round pick involved somewhere !

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Please remember that all CDC 'trades' must include someone retaining 50% of salary and there has to be a 4th round pick involved somewhere !

So EP the older and a 4th rounder for LE with 50% retained salary? ::D

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Sorry confused you and 5hole. My bad

9 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

My apologies, it was Craig Button and Ryan Kennedy who had him rated outside the 1st.

Wow, we sure are all being non-typical-CDC types today, eh?

Humility and sensitivity and thoughtfulness starting to become the ruling patterns? Not bad.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1