The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The fact that a lot of people are comparing Pettersson to McDavid and Gretzky is kind of nice, and shows the level this kid is at. Canucks didn't have to tank to get him either (elite drafting).

It doesn't really matter who's better at this stage than whomever. Pettersson has a long, prosperous career ahead of him. Boxscores a couple of years from now will read a lot like "Pettersson from Hughes and Boeser" or "Boeser from Pettersson and Hughes". Those three (along with Horvat and Virtanen) are going to produce a lot.  

Wtf didn't have to tank to get him? Canucks were 2nd last in the league.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

They had to tank at the lottery or JB would have picked Nolan, Heiskanen or Maker.:ph34r:

Heiskanen is looking pretty studly in Dallas to be fair. The question then becomes do we have Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson instead of Hughes though, just for the handedness? Probably not, scouting staff seems to prioritize talent/potential over positional need which looks like is right handed D-men. Thankfully, if it were me drafting there are a few defenders I would have taken in place of forwards that would have made me look worse than Milbury. 

46 minutes ago, nzan said:

I had a buddy look at metrics for EP’s current season and McDavid’s sophomore (both D+2) because I’m too dumb, so admittedly the following info is 2nd hand.

Corsi and Fenwick are almost identical.

McDavid created more turnovers and had less offensive zone starts.

Pettersson is on the ice for 0.2 more goals Per 60 and almost a full goal less Per 60.

Not bad for a rookie figuring out a new league, position, etc...

EP40 is a pretty complete package over 200'. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I had a buddy look at metrics for EP’s current season and McDavid’s sophomore (both D+2) because I’m too dumb, so admittedly the following info is 2nd hand.

Corsi and Fenwick are almost identical.

McDavid created more turnovers and had less offensive zone starts.

Pettersson is on the ice for 0.2 more goals Per 60 and almost a full goal less Per 60.

Not bad for a rookie figuring out a new league, position, etc...

Pretty darn incredible... absolutely unreal.

Pettersson is the real deal...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, smokes said:

One can only imagine how much both of them would have gotten.

The real shocker may come in a couple of years, when both of these guys have acclimated to the lengthy schedule and gotten used to the NHL. I really think Henrik's 112 point season will be in serious jeopardy of being broken, along with Patrik Sundstrom's record of 38 goals by a center. Bure's 60 goal seasons may stay intact, but just barely. Call it potential peak years of 40 (+/-5) goals and 70 (+/-5) assists for EP40, and 58 (+/- 5) goals, 45 +/- 5) assists for Boeser

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Father Ryan said:

The real shocker may come in a couple of years, when both of these guys have acclimated to the lengthy schedule and gotten used to the NHL. I really think Henrik's 112 point season will be in serious jeopardy of being broken, along with Patrik Sundstrom's record of 38 goals by a center. Bure's 60 goal seasons may stay intact, but just barely. Call it potential peak years of 40 (+/-5) goals and 70 (+/-5) assists for EP40, and 58 (+/- 5) goals, 45 +/- 5) assists for Boeser

The way the NHL is scoring these days, the 112 mark is going to going to be erased very quickly. Just look at the amount of scoring in the league now, ever since they regulated the size of the goalie pads, everything has changed on the players side. Shooters actually have some net instead of the wall of pads they had to sneak into. These scoring records are going to be broken very quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

One can only imagine how much both of them would have gotten.

True Smokes... guess we’re getting so used to EP putting up points that him breaking records are considered a sheer formality now. But yes you are absolutely right. Actually forgot about EP’s injury absence. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

When Pettersson let that wrister go to beat Koskinen high short-side, you could almost hear the collective gasp from the Oilers fans. Like it sucked all of the air out of the arena lol They had to deal with the Sedins toying with them for 17 years, and now they'll have Elias haunting them.  

There was one replay that followed Pettersson behind the net after that goal. The lady behind the glass basically threw her head back and a rolled her eyes. It was such a perfect expression of what you describe pretty much what i suspect the entire arena felt like lol. Was just like are you kidding me, Where tf did that come from. 

Win or lose these kids are an awesome treat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, surtur said:

There was one replay that followed Pettersson behind the net after that goal. The lady behind the glass basically threw her head back and a rolled her eyes. It was such a perfect expression of what you describe pretty much what i suspect the entire arena felt like lol. Was just like are you kidding me, Where tf did that come from. 

Win or lose these kids are an awesome treat.

Haha, I caught that...it was perfect.

Breaking records, hearts and ankles since he arrived on the scene.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3