The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Zoolander said:

With Pettersson and Boeser, is it getting greedy to draft another high-octane forward? I don't want us to pull an Edmonton and be too thin on the blueline. But maybe we could trade away the older guys (Baertschi, Granlund, etc for some serviceable d-men

Not at all, if we pick 2/3 we are taking svechnikov or Zadina 100%

32 minutes ago, richado said:

If we get 1st you obviously take Dahlin. Svechnikov and Zadina are too sexy to skip at 2 or 3. Land 4th or lower then take one of the top dmen. Anywhere in the top 10 we get a very useful piece this year. 

Agree completely 

Edited by R3aL

On 2017-10-17 at 8:31 PM, canucklehead80 said:

8GP 0G 7A 7PTS.....Have not seen him play, but numbers looking really good.

....but that was only the beginning.  From there he would go on to score 24 goals and add 25 assists for 49 points in 36 games. A 1.36 points per game average.  LOL    And when I read all the belly aching from Canuck fans lamenting “We shoulda taken Vilardi” I LMAO 

16 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

....but that was only the beginning.  From there he would go on to score 24 goals and add 25 assists for 49 points in 36 games. A 1.36 points per game average.  LOL    And when I read all the belly aching from Canuck fans lamenting “We shoulda taken Vilardi” I LMAO 

No!!!!!! Should have drafted kopitarzz!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Zoolander said:

With Pettersson and Boeser, is it getting greedy to draft another high-octane forward? I don't want us to pull an Edmonton and be too thin on the blueline. But maybe we could trade away the older guys (Baertschi, Granlund, etc for some serviceable d-men

We have “serviceable” defencemen,  we need a stud defenceman. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, richado said:

If we get 1st you obviously take Dahlin. Svechnikov and Zadina are too sexy to skip at 2 or 3. Land 4th or lower then take one of the top dmen. Anywhere in the top 10 we get a very useful piece this year. 

Imagine passing up on another Tkachuk to take a defenseman. Lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Personally I wouldn’t take a D (other than Dahlin) ahead of either Zadina or Svechnikov. 

That said, if our scouts had either Boqvist or Hughes that high, I could easily get behind the idea given that those guys have pretty high upside (albeit with some risk) and are coming out of leagues/regions where our scouting has been very strong.

Not a call that I’d be comfortable making myself, but I’d trust the scouts if they determined one of those Ds to be the BPA.

yah I think with the strength of the scouting system it would be easy to be happy with Boqvist. Zadina would be just fine too. 

I do wonder if the whole Tryamkin debacle has put them off picking a Russian kid with a high pick if we're lucky enough to have the 3rd or 4th pick... 

Unreal season. I was high on Pettersson and had him 3rd on my board but even I didn't expect this nobody did. Unbelievable production by him. The most encouraging thing is his goal-scoring ability, at 0.55 GPG it might be as elite as his vision/playmaking.

PPG in Allsvenskan

1.27 PPG in SHL

What will he be at 22 in the NHL? At this point, you have to classify him as a franchise level talent. Hard not to be giddy.

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Pettersson is one of the most superlative athletes you will ever see.

At the combine last year he was top 7, among over 100 elite athletes in peak output and endurance on the Windgate tests.  The guy has a motor & strength far & beyond what most people can comprehend? In spite of being skinny. The balance & ability to execute hockey skills under the duress of players 30 lbs his senior has already been demonstrated.

There is waay more strength than people understand. 

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

My concern is, if he's less than about 175 lbs, he's going to get tossed around in the NHL like a rag doll.

There isn't a question in my mind that Pettersson already has the skill level to be playing in the NHL, right now. Considering what this kid represents for our team, my point is that, if he's still on the light side, waiting another season for him to get a little bigger, isn't the end of the world.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

My concern is, if he's less than about 175 lbs, he's going to get tossed around in the NHL like a rag doll.

There isn't a question in my mind that Pettersson already has the skill level to be playing in the NHL, right now. Considering what this kid represents for our team, my point is that, if he's still on the light side, waiting another season for him to get a little bigger, isn't the end of the world.

There are a lot of light elite players in NHL right now doing fine.   Why will he be the exception?    Those were not plyons in the SEL he was playing against.   

57 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There are a lot of light elite players in NHL right now doing fine.   Why will he be the exception?    Those were not plyons in the SEL he was playing against.   

Name some that are over 6 feet tall and less than 170 lbs.

Not saying he needs to be over 200, just that I personally think he needs to be a little bit heavier.