The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2018-03-22 at 3:44 PM, NUCKER67 said:

A captain isn't the guy who drops the gloves and beats on opponents and gets into scrums after the whistle. A captain isn't even the guy who scores the most goals.

It's more about who do the guys in the room look up to, and the refs respect. The captain is the player who discusses issues, calls etc with the refs and require explanation. In a way, he represents the coach on the ice and stands up for his team mates (not necessarily fighting). Bo will be a good captain. He sets a great example for the younger guys (and older guys), he's a workhorse, fully dedicated, focused and mature.

But seeing as this is a Pettersson thread, Elias and Olli may not be good alternate captains IMO. But, nothing wrong with that.  

C - Bo

A - Boeser

A - Gudbranson

I think I would probably propose 

'C' - Bo Horvat

'A' - Brock Boeser

'A' - Adam Gaudette

10 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

This is probably the video to watch for our golden boy prospect! Man if he can get some strength and muscle he is going to absolutely dominate. 

I could probably watch this five more times before the hair on my arms falls back to earth.   Nicely put together.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

His main shooting technique seems unique to me. I know others do it but seems like his go to.

Holding the puck on his stick behind him and waiting. It looks like he is either looking for his spot or waiting for the goalie to go down or move and then flings it up over the goalies shoulder or past him.

Shows lots of patience before he unloads. Does anyone else notice that?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

His main shooting technique seems unique to me. I know others do it but seems like his go to.

Holding the puck on his stick behind him and waiting. It looks like he is either looking for his spot or waiting for the goalie to go down or move and then flings it up over the goalies shoulder or past him.

Definitely seems to have the puck on a string that kid. Particularly the way he’s so smooth and patient when adjusting his shooting angles. So many clips where he gets a defender to bite on what looks like a quick shot and then pulls it toward his body as the guy’s sliding the other way anticipating a block, and then Elias just fires it around the other side of the defender, with a clear shooting lane and a laser over the goalie’s shoulder. Just beautiful to watch. Also love the whip he gets on his shots in the slow-mo—just drool worthy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Ya he has a way of freezing the puck while waiting for the defence man to and goalie to leave an opening then before you can blink its in the net. Also I think he is the king of the head fake - then quick turn. In one of those highlights after receiving a long pass a player came in to hit him along the boards and he faked him out last minute and went the other direction causing the guy to hit the glass. This is very subtle unique elite skill he possesses. I think his lanky frame add to his ability to be successful in hockey. On top of his skating, IQ, speed, passing, puck on a string,  head and body fakes, he has pin point accuracy.  What a treat to watch. Pure brilliance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Bo will be a consideration but not choosen. To many people in the media and fan base have clung on to him because he's the "first child" of the new era. Boeser is the second and we got more coming!

17 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Having Bo as a secondary voice would speak to volume of leadership we have.  Elias is full of heart, he shows his emotions, and is incredibly talented. 

When captains are choosen it is often given to the guy who has the great deal of respect from all of his teammates not only for the work he does but the skill he has to help carry a team.  Horvat might reach 70 points as a high as a 1B C. If Pettersson pans out he could be a 90-100 point guy with the right linemates.  

Horvat would be a phenomenal A captain but he's not ready for the C and may never be.  Dustin Brown got it in LA because he was producing above his skillset and he embodied the physical presence they replicate their teams identity over.

If we are going to reach Jim's vision of a fast, relentless, skilled offensive team. Pettersson better reflects that 2011 model.  He is like a blend of hank and Danny with possibly an even better shot then Daniel right now.  Elias is a guy fans are going to love on this city. It won't just be because of the hard work but because he will reflect the essence of what this team stands for. He may not be ready next year. Maybe he is. We shall see.

Relax, he hasn't even played a single game in the NHL yet.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

That pass was Mitch Marner like where he looking at the goalie the whole time but has eyes on the side of his head and just threads it perfectly to his teammate who had an open net.

He was straight up dominant in the 2nd period at times. His skating has come a long way since the beginning of the season. 

He has also fought through a lot of physical play on the boards which is good to see

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely seems to have the puck on a string that kid. Particularly the way he’s so smooth and patient when adjusting his shooting angles. So many clips where he gets a defender to bite on what looks like a quick shot and then pulls it toward his body as the guy’s sliding the other way anticipating a block, and then Elias just fires it around the other side of the defender, with a clear shooting lane and a laser over the goalie’s shoulder. Just beautiful to watch. Also love the whip he gets on his shots in the slow-mo—just drool worthy.

This is the big thing for me -- ALWAYS head up, even when doing dangles.  He never looks down, yet the puck is tethered/glued to his stick.  When you can do that, there's no limit to what plays and moves you can make.  It also drastically lessens the likelihood of getting clobbered, which means like Kane and Gretzky it will largely be avoided because you can see it coming.  All just part of why he makes the team next year.

11 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

He just whhhhhhhips it... whips it good.  And once he gains some man-strength behind that shot...

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Late to the party but here are some Twitter gifs:

Love the progression in commentary:

“Elias Pettersson is struggling.”

“Nice assist.”

“Vintage Elias Pettersson. What a pass.”

“And this goal is more Pettersson at his best.”

“Looks like he’s adjusting to playoff hockey.”

That guy legit looks like a clown. Swedish botchford?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1