The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, nergish said:

Yeah, coming out of the draft he looked like a future top 6 candidate at best...

I went so far as to say Dahlen was the better player on Timra that year.

But this year he's really pushed the envelope. I don't think he'll be a first year all star, but he is the real friggen deal.

Especially when we have guys like Horvat and Boeser for him to lean on when times get tougher.

He's too smart, too flashy, too skilled not to be a star here. I genuinely have not seen hands like his since Datsyuk, and that feels amazing to be able to say about one of our prospects...

My expectation is that Boeser still wows the crowd nightly and carries the load, but Elias will have some highlight reel moments in his rookie campaign.

The series winning goal was so sick . I keep watching it over and over, with disbelief. And as sick as the goal was I could see many goals from Ep and assists because he has so many weapons, That's going to make him a high point producer. The goalie charged out at EP because of his accurate shot. And very few players with good shots have those kind of moves to go around the goalie and tuck it on the same side as the goalie. He might even had the full wrap around as a option, I remember a scout saying he thinks the game so fast he seems to always to the right play. And that goal had the signature of a goal that I don't think I have ever seen done before. NHL defensemen will work him hard and take his space away. But what will they do about Brock? Maybe leave him open? And if they take Brocks shot away or the goalie comes charging out even a step or two EP has a one timer like I have never seen from a small kid before.

Anyways 10 thumbs up to your comment. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

If I were the Canucks, I'd go and hire the two recently retired Sedins as talent coaches and have them work a day or two a week, 3 or 4 hours a day with their upcoming talent pool, on and off the ice.

Especially in providing insight to Pettersson and Dahlen on what it takes to come over from the Swedish league and into the NHL. They could probably provide some really good insight to these guys on what they went through in making the transition to the NHL and how hard they had to work to adapt.

Couple of hours in the training room and a couple of hours on ice with any of the rookies and younger players who are training in Vancouver this summer and possibly even a few sessions per month during the year.

Good way to keep the Sedins involved a little longer and help ease the transition of team leadership while they still get to enjoy family life and being home for dinner etc.

As much as I agree with what you’re saying, I would back off with expectations regarding the twins moving forward. They would be excellent mentors to all the Euros, and having gone the same route that these prospects are going through, I think it would undermine the minor league coaches in Utica, that are doing a fabulous job as well. If all of these kids in the system had the twins as training partners, you would think that other former Canucks would have trained with them in Sweden in the past. I do think though that somehow the twins will be involved in some capacity with these kids. They couldn’t persuade Kassian to become his mentor it seemed, but this new era off kids might be willing for the chance to learn from them. However, they want to run a marathon, lol!

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The Sedins will not teach Elias anything about the game of hockey; he will be teaching them.

Well, we can hope for that :)

Still think they can be a really good, positive influence on him and the other young players on training ethic and transitioning to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Well, we can hope for that :)

Still think they can be a really good, positive influence on him and the other young players on training ethic and transitioning to the NHL.

It really appears Ellias is one of those inwardly motivated guys, who will do what ever he possibly can (off the ice) to be the best he can possibly be on the ice.  Look at the guys we had playing with the Twins, who still didn't commit to being complete professionals!  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

The Sedins capacity should be health, fitness and how to conduct yourself outside the game of hockey. 

Exactly

What does it say about the commitment of our younger players though , when the 2 oldest lead the teams fitness test each year, and have played more hockey than any of the others

They were true professionals

I would love them to share with Elias how hard it was as light talented swedes playing on the large ice with stronger faster skilled players and the commitment it will take in all facets to succeed

6 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Only 5 months and a few days until training camp opens.

I haven't been this excited for a camp in a long time. I will be there, wherever it's going to be held, and soak in every minute of it. And file reports and impressions as I did this past camp. Not seeing the twins out there kicking everyone's ass in the line rushes is going to be very odd. Can't wait to see EP, and those magic mitts, in person. And with some lottery luck, perhaps a very special D-prospect...

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I haven't been this excited for a camp in a long time. I will be there, wherever it's going to be held, and soak in every minute of it. And file reports and impressions as I did this past camp. Not seeing the twins out there kicking everyone's ass in the line rushes is going to be very odd. Can't wait to see EP, and those magic mitts, in person. And with some lottery luck, perhaps a very special D-prospect...

Were the Sedins always the top dogs in every camp you've seen?

8 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Both Pettersson and Dahlen need another year in Sweden to mature after watching the playoffs so far it would be a mistake to have these kids in the NHL .

haha thats a slight overreaction. There going to be rookies but they have the skill to play in this league. They may just need some time in the AHL to really round out there games through more practice, get stronger in the gym and used to American ice and style of play.

Could be great players for us in the future though so don't count them out jumping right into the NHL

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Both Pettersson and Dahlen need another year in Sweden to mature after watching the playoffs so far it would be a mistake to have these kids in the NHL .

We'all take it in to consideration. Let's not jump to conclusions. You really haven't given them a large enough sample size or even the right sample size for that matter. EP hasn't even played on NA ice yet. 

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha thats a slight overreaction. There going to be rookies but they have the skill to play in this league. They may just need some time in the AHL to really round out there games through more practice, get stronger in the gym and used to American ice and style of play.

Could be great players for us in the future though so don't count them out jumping right into the NHL

I get where he's coming from. I'm not sure if you've been watching Winnipeg but they would have killed us physically.

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I get where he's coming from. I'm not sure if you've been watching Winnipeg but they would have killed us physically.

Though I agree, it's more about the speed and intensity than it is the size, imo.  

• Upvote 3