The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, cory40 said:

I am sure a lot of people are worried the Canucks may have a few NHL ready players. And if they do, replacing the Sedins will be a little easier, and the play-offs will be sooner. My calculations have the Canucks needing 60 points to replace the Sedins. And the only reason is how often they are in both of them on the same goal.

I believe I saw you post something similar to this somewhere else and it did get me thinking (well done)

Can you explain a little more?  In most cases there are 2 or 3 players getting points on the same goal.  In that case would we not just tally up goal totals using your logic?  

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Clear win one would think for his age and contribution. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him win a Hart at the NHL level in the next 3 seasons.

One can hope! 

Also nominated for rookie of the year together with Joel Persson and Rasmus Dahlin 

https://www.shl.se/artikel/bz95ajfw8-403dd/finalisterna-i-kategorin-arets-rookie-i-shl-awards-2018

5 hours ago, nzan said:

@Rob_Zepp care to comment on the level of impossibility of the above?

I think Vegas is the classic example of several "career years" happening at same time, a whack of players on short-term (lots of one year) deals playing to show they belong in league and a bit of "I'll show them" to the teams that exposed them.   Added to that insanely good coaching and out of the gate depth at every position (they got NHL players top to bottom - even the top teams like Bolts and Bruins get pretty thin by players 18 to 23).    

I don't think you need any further explanation beyond the above.   

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think Vegas is the classic example of several "career years" happening at same time, a whack of players on short-term (lots of one year) deals playing to show they belong in league and a bit of "I'll show them" to the teams that exposed them.   Added to that insanely good coaching and out of the gate depth at every position (they got NHL players top to bottom - even the top teams like Bolts and Bruins get pretty thin by players 18 to 23).    

Do you believe that Vegas was able to "buy" their success this year like others seem to?

41 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Do you believe that Vegas was able to "buy" their success this year like others seem to?

Yes and no.   They paid a lot for their franchise but certainly got a lot of NHL talent in compare to any other new franchise.   It was a nice deal for sure.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Vegas had great exposure to rosters-- Marschessault, Neal, Perron, MAF, Emilin, Haula

for an expansion team they shopped on Robson St instead of the usual Value Village like other expansion teams.

What Vegas was able to do was supply itself with depth at every position. This gave them the ability to win by playing 60 minutes every night. 

They may not have a true 1st line, but they have 4 second lines. It gives a match up coach fits to play against. Which line do you shut down? 

Most teams are built up over years with varying talent and experience determining minutes and zone starts. Vegas can throw that out the window. 

Gallant has done done a great job, but this is a coaches team. No sulking star player, no rookie blues, your back up is really another starter, you don’t have to worry about which d pairing is on the ice, a decent center for each line. 

Macphee had teams over over a barrel in the lead up to the expansion draft.  

The draft wasn’t setup to just furnish LVK with a foundation of players to get them started building an NHL team, it was setup to give them a competitive NHL team to start with. 

A major change from previous expansion drafts. 

IMO they overshot the mark and I don’t think the other clubs are going to be happy if the same rules are given to Seattle.  

If LVK wins the cup, it will be due to two factors. It’s very favourable expansion terms and Macphee’s ability to take advantage of those terms. 

Credit to the club club and it’s management, but they would not be in this position had they had the same terms as previous

expansion teams. 

This isnt a put down to LVK, just a critical view without prejudice.  The rules were what they were and when you pay half a billion dollars, you should be able to get some advantage.  

Anyone can say other wise, but they would also be the same guys that think Edmonton’s rebuild began with the McDavid draft. 

EmW

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A much better and shorter synopsis of what I was trying

to say. 

• Cheers 1

if vegas makes the finals, or -- god forbid -- wins the cup, it'll be on the backs of their management group being incredibly savvy and their coaching staff pulling together a group of players who were all at best the 9th or 10th most valuable players on their former teams and motivating them into a powerhouse.

they deserve whatever success they achieve. 

The NHL would be the biggest joke if Vegas won. 

Back to EP, will there be anyway to watch the finals on youtube or something?  I won't be able to watch them live because of this employment thing lol.   

8 hours ago, nzan said:

Which is exactly the point - nobody yet has been able to properly explain how a collection of ok/decent players all came together to play way better than almost any of them have played previously. Outside of Neal and Fleury it's very much seven oaks looking and feeling like robson st.

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The only thing I'd add is that Vegas targeted fast players.  Also, they scouted extremely well.  They were able to identify players the same way JB and staff were able to identify Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Boeser etc.  A guy like Karlsson was probably too far down the depth chart to really show what he was capable of and/or he is just having a break out year.

• Upvote 1

When you put a team in a non-traditional environment it is a good idea to give them a chance to be decent.  Look what happened to the Grizzlies here.  Got screwed at every turn, were a lousy team that was awful to watch and never caught on.  

Phoenix has been bad for a very long time.  The Thrashers were mostly terrible.

Florida got good early and it bought them a lot of years before consistent loosing beat that fan base up to the point of forgetting them.

I think if you are going to put a new team in you need to give them a chance to succeed.  Vegas caught lightning in a bottle this year.  Great job buy the management and coaching and like Rob said above, a lot of players having career years.  Some really nice players to build around though they will be taking a step back likely next couple years as the boatload of draft picks develop.

2 hours ago, dura_mater said:

The only thing I'd add is that Vegas targeted fast players.  Also, they scouted extremely well.  They were able to identify players the same way JB and staff were able to identify Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Boeser etc.  A guy like Karlsson was probably too far down the depth chart to really show what he was capable of and/or he is just having a break out year.

though I hate how the league gifted Vegas, you're right, they did their due diligence with scouting

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

What Vegas was able to do was supply itself with depth at every position. This gave them the ability to win by playing 60 minutes every night. 

They may not have a true 1st line, but they have 4 second lines. It gives a match up coach fits to play against. Which line do you shut down? 

Most teams are built up over years with varying talent and experience determining minutes and zone starts. Vegas can throw that out the window. 

Gallant has done done a great job, but this is a coaches team. No sulking star player, no rookie blues, your back up is really another starter, you don’t have to worry about which d pairing is on the ice, a decent center for each line. 

Macphee had teams over over a barrel in the lead up to the expansion draft.  

The draft wasn’t setup to just furnish LVK with a foundation of players to get them started building an NHL team, it was setup to give them a competitive NHL team to start with. 

A major change from previous expansion drafts. 

IMO they overshot the mark and I don’t think the other clubs are going to be happy if the same rules are given to Seattle.  

If LVK wins the cup, it will be due to two factors. It’s very favourable expansion terms and Macphee’s ability to take advantage of those terms. 

Credit to the club club and it’s management, but they would not be in this position had they had the same terms as previous

expansion teams. 

This isnt a put down to LVK, just a critical view without prejudice.  The rules were what they were and when you pay half a billion dollars, you should be able to get some advantage.  

Anyone can say other wise, but they would also be the same guys that think Edmonton’s rebuild began with the McDavid draft. 

EmW

What’s with this 4 second line stuff they had a 40 goal scorer and you’re calling him a second liner and JM is like 75 point this year and I’m pretty sure he was injured at the beginning of the season like common show them some respect 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

What’s with this 4 second line stuff they had a 40 goal scorer and you’re calling him a second liner and JM is like 75 point this year and I’m pretty sure he was injured at the beginning of the season like common show them some respect 

Welcome to CDC where you're only a first liner if you put up 90+ points :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Stelar said:

How come when I come to the EP thread it’s not about EP?

cuz he evokes all the hopes and dreams of the posters on here

and so they are reminded about what has been and could be

so they post based on that

gonna be a heavy mantle for EP to wear .

hope he is as good as so many on here believe

cuz i can see a massive negative turn on him

if people feel badly let down

look how so many on here treated the sedins in the last couple of years

quite unfair really

just did some scouting on Skelleftea AIK, their top 4 dman, (in terms of total points) goes as so...

5'10 174

5'10 178

5'11 184

6'1 205......

if these is their top 4 defence, then Skelleftea AIK is not a very big team, and if their hands are not quick enough, Pettersson will dangle the crap out of them.   The defence he is up against is a bunch of Troy Stechers and Biega sized dmens.