The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

He is going to have a lot of that already in the NHL players. I suspect it's Pettersson's if he can prove he can help at that level. Pettersson could be the "X Factor" if he had an amazing world championships.  (The coach has to think he has it in him at this level)

Exactly.  Big game player baby! He will help your future Sweden teams to by allowing him to get a taste.  Frick Andersson. He's almost as annoying as Casey Mittlestat. 

I never said Pettersso shouldn't make the team, I'm responding to the claim that Andersson is "overrated." Everyone has their opinion on the medal situation  and that's fine (I personally don't really care what someone does with theirs) but has absolutely nothing to do with his on ice ability. He was Sweden's captain at that tournament and is regarded as a leader. 

It would be like taking a 70 point Kopitar over 90 point Giroux, which I think many people would. 

EDIT: The post by @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME shows a similar line of thinking. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He ran marathons? 

Geez, he was a big guy...

Every year, still. He dances at literally every game Winnipeg. Jets, Bombers, Goldeyes. The guy is in decent shape.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

Every year, still. He dances at literally every game Winnipeg. Jets, Bombers, Goldeyes. The guy is in decent shape.

Yeah Dancin' Gabe has to be in good shape to run around and dance in all those different sections. I always enjoy his dancing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Game worn from what? Championship match? If so that will be worth much more when he retires lol. If I was a super rich guy is just drive it up to 10k and walk away with it lol

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I never said Pettersso shouldn't make the team, I'm responding to the claim that Andersson is "overrated." Everyone has their opinion on the medal situation  and that's fine (I personally don't really care what someone does with theirs) but has absolutely nothing to do with his on ice ability. He was Sweden's captain at that tournament and is regarded as a leader. 

It would be like taking a 70 point Kopitar over 90 point Giroux, which I think many people would. 

EDIT: The post by @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME shows a similar line of thinking. 

14 points in 22 games for Lias Andersson in the SHL this season.

56 points in 44 games for Elias Pettersson in the SHL this season.

Chop Pettersson's points in half to match Andersson and he has: 28 points in 22 SHL games.  Andersson isn't that special of a leader. Sweden will have plenty of quality veteran leaders.  Pettersson's " X-factor" ability may be the deciding factor.  I was responding to the narrative in general too sorry didn't mean to single you out specifically. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bell said:

Forza any chance you can translate the jist of this.

Elias Pettersson, 19, is getting ready for his Tre Kronor-debut.

At the time he is looking forward with excitement to the  NHL draft lottery

– If we get Rasmus Dahlin its almost too good to be true, he sais.

Elias Pettersson had an amazing season.

• Broke Kenta Nilssons U20 scoring record

• Broke Axel Holmströms U20 post season scoring record

• Chosen as the MVP of the playoffs

After the success he was the youngest to ever get painted in gold by Sportbladet

Now there is new challenges waiting.

After celebrating his vicrtory with Växjö he joined the Swedish national team – And he is ready for his senior debut.

– The last couple of days has been amazing. Its the most fun part of my life so far. Amazing days. Now i look forward to playing with Tre Kronor, Pettersson sais to Sportbladet.

Aiming for the WHC

He wont play the first game but joins the Sweden Hockey Games in the Saturday game vs Russia

– I will try to play my game, do my best and take the chance he said

Yesterday Jim Benning general manager of Vancouver Canucks, stated that the 19-year old is confirmed for the WHC. Which was later demented by Rikard Grönborg.

– I havent heard if im a lock for the WHC or not. I will play the Saturday and Sunday games and do my best..

But your aim is at the WHC?

– Its nothing i thought of at the start of the season. but i will go out there, do my best and try to get a spot in the team Pettersson said.

Vill ha Dahlin

While he is getting ready for his Tre Kronor debut he is looking forward to another event this weekend. The NHL draft lottery where who will be able to pick first in the summers draft will be picked.

– I will not follow the lottery but as soon as its done i will be told. Ofcourse i hope that the Canucks will get the first pick.

Vancouver has a 7.5% chance of getting the first pick and being able to tie up the Swedish Defensive talent Rasmus Dahlin.

In that case the Canucks will have a swedish super-trio to build around with him, Dahlin and his old brother-in-arms from Timrå Jonathan Dahlén.

– It would almost be too good to be true. Dahlin is … hell we dont even have to praise him – everyone knows how good he is. If the Canucks gets the first pick I will be extremely happy.

The lottery will be held at Saturday evening.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Chop Pettersson's points in half to match Andersson and he has: 28 points in 22 SHL games.  Andersson isn't that special of a leader. Sweden will have plenty of quality veteran leaders.  Pettersson's " X-factor" ability may be the deciding factor.  I was responding to the narrative in general too sorry didn't mean to single you out specifically. :)

Yeah, there's no doubt that Pettersson is the better player offensively. It's a considerable margin. But Andersson is a very good player too and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say he could make the team. 

52 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

different roles play to different skill sets.  It all comes down to what role the coach needs filled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I think if you expect to get guys like Backstrom, Nylander, Wild Bill, etc. all kicked out in the second round, then EP becomes less valuable. However, if those players advance or don't want to go to the WHC, then you have to take a guy like EP. Not enough skill on your team otherwise.

Our Ellias is already a for more impact player the W. Nylander will ever be.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our Ellias is already a for more impact player the W. Nylander will ever be.  

and daigle was the next gretzky.

can we wait for him to play even one nhl exhibition game before we claim he's already better than an established nhl top 6 forward?

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

29 minutes ago, tas said:

and daigle was the next gretzky.

can we wait for him to play even one nhl exhibition game before we claim he's already better than an established nhl top 6 forward?

I said he's already better than "Double Flamingo".  Yes, he's going to be a superstar!!!