The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Elias Pettersson, 19, is getting ready for his Tre Kronor-debut.

At the time he is looking forward with excitement to the  NHL draft lottery

– If we get Rasmus Dahlin its almost too good to be true, he sais.

Elias Pettersson had an amazing season.

• Broke Kenta Nilssons U20 scoring record

• Broke Axel Holmströms U20 post season scoring record

• Chosen as the MVP of the playoffs

After the success he was the youngest to ever get painted in gold by Sportbladet

Now there is new challenges waiting.

After celebrating his vicrtory with Växjö he joined the Swedish national team – And he is ready for his senior debut.

– The last couple of days has been amazing. Its the most fun part of my life so far. Amazing days. Now i look forward to playing with Tre Kronor, Pettersson sais to Sportbladet.

Aiming for the WHC

He wont play the first game but joins the Sweden Hockey Games in the Saturday game vs Russia

– I will try to play my game, do my best and take the chance he said

Yesterday Jim Benning general manager of Vancouver Canucks, stated that the 19-year old is confirmed for the WHC. Which was later demented by Rikard Grönborg.

– I havent heard if im a lock for the WHC or not. I will play the Saturday and Sunday games and do my best..

But your aim is at the WHC?

– Its nothing i thought of at the start of the season. but i will go out there, do my best and try to get a spot in the team Pettersson said.

Vill ha Dahlin

While he is getting ready for his Tre Kronor debut he is looking forward to another event this weekend. The NHL draft lottery where who will be able to pick first in the summers draft will be picked.

– I will not follow the lottery but as soon as its done i will be told. Ofcourse i hope that the Canucks will get the first pick.

Vancouver has a 7.5% chance of getting the first pick and being able to tie up the Swedish Defensive talent Rasmus Dahlin.

In that case the Canucks will have a swedish super-trio to build around with him, Dahlin and his old brother-in-arms from Timrå Jonathan Dahlén.

– It would almost be too good to be true. Dahlin is … hell we dont even have to praise him – everyone knows how good he is. If the Canucks gets the first pick I will be extremely happy.

The lottery will be held at Saturday evening.

Thanks Forza,

Hope Pettersson fantastic season continues with Canucks getting 1st pick...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, at least that interview is a little softer than the Swedish one in Expressen:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/slar-nu-tillbaka-mot-vancouver/

In that one, Gronberg comes off a bit less complimentary. Basically says that Pettersson has shown that he can score on SHL powerplays but that the WHC isn’t the SHL and Elias still needs to prove himself before he can earn a spot on the team.

did Elias have a incedent with someone's cornflakes? They didn't want him to excel in the wjc and now seem to be trying to down play not selecting him after winning the SHL scoring Title. Suck it up Sweden, He has earned a shot and a good one at that.

20 minutes ago, cory40 said:

did Elias have a incedent with someone's cornflakes? They didn't want him to excel in the wjc and now seem to be trying to down play not selecting him after winning the SHL scoring Title. Suck it up Sweden, He has earned a shot and a good one at that.

Could it be they are just trying to relieve some hype on the kid?

Edited by Bell
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, cory40 said:

remember when everybody on here thought brent sutter was a clueless moron because he thought brendan gaunce was a bottom 6 forward?

maybe the professionals who are being paid to evaluate these players have a better idea about where they're at than fans halfway across the planet whose singular exposure to the kid is through 4 minute youtube compilations set to awful electronic music. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

remember when everybody on here thought brent sutter was a clueless moron because he thought brendan gaunce was a bottom 6 forward?

maybe the professionals who are being paid to evaluate these players have a better idea about where they're at than fans halfway across the planet whose singular exposure to the kid is through 4 minute youtube compilations set to awful electronic music. 

Maybe that team would have fared a little better if the the bottom 6 forward made the team over the handful of non nhlers that did...

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bell said:

To be honest, I find it creepy.

Really i thought it was awesome and done in good fun. I like when players show some personality and dont act like robots. That's a stretch to find it creepy imo but to each there own right :)

21 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Did you watch any of the games, or just highlights of goals?  They were FAR from lacking physical play.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They are Swedish players, they are clearly all soft small perimeter players without a tough bone in their body. We made the mistake of not taking good North American kids instead of Pettersson and Juolevi. This will tarnish Benning's legacy.

Jesus you guys are beyond crazy. I question whether the play of the SHL playoffs is as physical as the NHL playoffs (sure they may well be physical as well but nothing beats the physicality and speed of the NHL playoffs. Just ask Auston Matthews) and you guys shyte your pants. I for one love the kid as much as anyone else but I think the herd mentality of thinking he is the Messiah and miles better than everyone else and already better than established elite NHL talent, and not letting others even question some of his perceived flaws is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Andersson is stronger physically and plays a responsible two way game in addition to being offensively capable. Show me a coach that doesn't want that. 

Lias might be a key as a face off & match up guy?

I suppose if Lias made the team it may be so. But I personally doubt they task a 19 year old with shadowing Brayden Schenn or Patrick Kane. I see that as zero factor.

Add to it, Pettersson plays a fabulous two way game himself. He's not physical, Unlike Anderson within his peer group has not been tasked with shut down match ups. But has a motor like Janik Hansem, endlessly checks, harasses & steals pucks. Added to next world level puck possession. He was on the ice for an ungodly low number of 5 on 5 goals against in the SHL. Pretty sure he led the league in + / - ?

I believe they would take the puck possession and attack skills personally?   

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Jesus you guys are beyond crazy. I question whether the play of the SHL playoffs is as physical as the NHL playoffs (sure they may well be physical as well but nothing beats the physicality and speed of the NHL playoffs. Just ask Auston Matthews) and you guys shyte your pants. I for one love the kid as much as anyone else but I think the herd mentality of thinking he is the Messiah and miles better than everyone else and already better than established elite NHL talent, and not letting others even question some of his perceived flaws is ridiculous. 

YFLwOZs.gif

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, tas said:

I doubt that's it. Maybe the Professionals don't want to be shown up by a kid.

20 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't know now if they can fit him in though... CapFriendly has the Jets with an estimated $20.6M in cap space this offseason but need to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, Enstrom, and to a lesser extent Lowry and Armia. I guess they can replace Lowry and Armia with cheaper depth players but if they were to re-sign Stastny he would have to come at a massive discount.

Enstrom is 33 yrs old and other three are RFAs. They'll have plenty of cap space..Plus there will be an increase in cap from 75 mill to approximately 78 million. 

We'll see what happens.  But he fits in too well for Jets not to sign him.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Enstrom is 33 yrs old and other three are RFAs. They'll have plenty of cap space..Plus there will be an increase in cap from 75 mill to approximately 78 million. 

We'll see what happens.  But he fits in too well for Jets not to sign him.

Enstrom?

But you a beer point he's let go to free agency, not re-signed...

37 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lias might be a key as a face off & match up guy?

I suppose if Lias made the team it may be so. But I personally doubt they task a 19 year old with shadowing Brayden Schenn or Patrick Kane. I see that as zero factor.

Add to it, Pettersson plays a fabulous two way game himself. He's not physical, Unlike Anderson within his peer group has not been tasked with shut down match ups. But has a motor like Janik Hansem, endlessly checks, harasses & steals pucks. Added to next world level puck possession. He was on the ice for an ungodly low number of 5 on 5 goals against in the SHL. Pretty sure he led the league in + / - ?

I believe they would take the puck possession and attack skills personally?   

They don't necessarily have to rely on Andersson defensively, they just know he's likely capable of holding his own.