The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Well, instead of trying to figure out what he would do carrying the puck, now Pettersson can try to figure out the opposing players during PK and decide what he is going to do in response. PK may be a good fit for Pettersson's overthinking nature. He may be better at disrupting the puck carrier than carrying the puck himself and make a play. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

I'm glad Bruce has put Petey on the PK, it'll be good for his development and hopefully teach him some more defensive awareness. As a rookie everyone was amazed by how strong his defensive positioning and stick work was, then that really slipped as Green just gave him free-rein and couldn't care less about his defensive structure. Now on the PK he'll have to learn how to block a shot every now and then and get in lanes, and he may well get some more offensive chances as well out of it.

• Like 1

Last night's shootout was another proof that Petey's having a hard time stickhandling. There has been too much of these stickhandling issues this season so I figured perhaps either it's the wrist or the new stick or some other injury or something mental. My son (who played center at a decent level) and I were chatting about it, and he was wondering if perhaps Petey somehow had a late growth spurt that necessitated getting a new stick...

9 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Last night's shootout was another proof that Petey's having a hard time stickhandling. There has been too much of these stickhandling issues this season so I figured perhaps either it's the wrist or the new stick or some other injury or something mental. My son (who played center at a decent level) and I were chatting about it, and he was wondering if perhaps Petey somehow had a late growth spurt that necessitated getting a new stick...

or a concussion?

On 12/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, Maddogy said:

Well, instead of trying to figure out what he would do carrying the puck, now Pettersson can try to figure out the opposing players during PK and decide what he is going to do in response. PK may be a good fit for Pettersson's overthinking nature. He may be better at disrupting the puck carrier than carrying the puck himself and make a play. 

I also think that with Garland and Podkolzin as wingers, Petey can focus more on facilitating the plays rather than driving the play like he used to.

Whenever I watch Bergeron, I always feel like, this guy isn't very noticeable... well, until when he needs to be noticed. He focusses on facilitating play for his all star wingers and lets them drive the play. But he is always in the right position and available at the right time to either facilitate a play, like keeping the puck in the offensive zone or to break up a play in the defensive zone to spring Marchand on a breakaway and etc.

Maybe Petey can model his game after Bergeron. You don't always have to be noticeable or make fancy plays. Focus on facilitating plays and let the wingers drive the play.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:03 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm glad Bruce has put Petey on the PK, it'll be good for his development and hopefully teach him some more defensive awareness. As a rookie everyone was amazed by how strong his defensive positioning and stick work was, then that really slipped as Green just gave him free-rein and couldn't care less about his defensive structure. Now on the PK he'll have to learn how to block a shot every now and then and get in lanes, and he may well get some more offensive chances as well out of it.

If Petey uses this season to become an every situation player, that's a huge win for us. Boudreau and Walker seem like the perfect mentors for him.

5 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

when is th8s from? rumour is he has a massive ego, I would trade him... is this the shoot out from the Boston game?

You are correct sir. Pouting on the bench after missing his shot didn't even bother to cheer Miller on after putting him in the hot seat. 

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You are correct sir. Pouting on the bench after missing his shot didn't even bother to cheer Miller on after putting him in the hot seat. 

wow what a junk teammate, certainly adds to the talk that there were players who are not getting along and that Petey has a massive echo, the kid does not show any leadership, I would trade him

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

wow what a junk teammate, certainly adds to the talk that there were players who are not getting along and that Petey has a massive echo, the kid does not show any leadership, I would trade him

I believe it's behavior that can be changed with a stern talking to from daddy Bruce. Or maybe his read dad who was in the audience.