The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rathbone blasts one  in unassisted - maybe we could use that shot on our pp - Hughes is as good as any forward as a playmaker - have a two D PP with Rathbone as the shooter, Hughes as the QB.

It would be a treat to watch. Bone has that killer instinct with his shot, where Hughes doesn’t. Will be sweet to watch that! Sign me up

10 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It would be a treat to watch. Bone has that killer instinct with his shot, where Hughes doesn’t. Will be sweet to watch that! Sign me up

Next fall I would love trying a PP with Hughes and Rathbone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

For sure, Bone is showing he does not belong in the AHL. His injuries worry me a bit but this season he has proved he is a dynamic puck moving dman and even tho he has had some injury set backs he continues to come back strong every time and with better awareness. This has proven to me that he can play at the nhl level. I’ve been worried about him getting out muscled on plays but his escapability and defensive awareness has improved throughout the year…now he’s just making his opponents look silly out there. The bone is ready. But letting him dominate in this years AHLs playoffs will be fun to watch. Also it’s another big test for him like the nhl the zebras start putting the whistle away come the AHL post season. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For sure, Bone is showing he does not belong in the AHL. His injuries worry me a bit but this season he has proved he is a dynamic puck moving dman and even tho he has had some injury set backs he continues to come back strong every time and with better awareness. This has proven to me that he can play at the nhl level. I’ve been worried about him getting out muscled on plays but his escapability and defensive awareness has improved throughout the year…now he’s just making his opponents look silly out there. The bone is ready. But letting him dominate in this years AHLs playoffs will be fun to watch. Also it’s another big test for him like the nhl the zebras start putting the whistle away come the AHL post season. 

His injuries shouldn't worry you. He took a dirty hit from a career echler this year. That's the reasoning for his lack of games played.

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

His injuries shouldn't worry you. He took a dirty hit from a career echler this year. That's the reasoning for his lack of games played.

I seen the hit live. Yes the hit was dirty, but Rathbone did get caught off guard as well. My worry was with his awareness along the boards. You don’t turn your numbers to a guy like Scevior he will still finish his hit. Rathbone tried to get fancy and turn out of the hit last second and he got caught trying to make a play and got smashed into the boards. Still a dirty hit, but at that moment Jack needed to brace himself for the hit, not try to twist away and make a play. It was that kind of awareness I was worried about with him. Knowing how to keep himself safe in a bad play against a goon trying to finish his check. This is what I’ve been watching for since he got back into the line up. He has learned from that hit and I have not seen him get into that kind of situation since, which is pretty amazing really, he is a super quick learner. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If memory serves, they actually looked pretty dangerous together during those games when Rathbone took Petey’s spot on the right half wall.

I think it was last season when Pettersson was out injured. Rathbone got a couple games on the first unit and it looked pretty effective. Good movement and passing and I believe they even capitalized on at least one power play goal.

I’m not sure I’d use a two D formation too often as 1PP, especially if it means Petey has to come out, but I do think that, if and when Rathbone becomes an NHL regular, they need to find a way to get him onto the power play. His shot is too much of a weapon to leave on the bench.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Rathbone has 24 points in his last 16 games.  

Have to wonder how many points he’d have if he’d played healthy the full 59 games so far this season.

60-70 points doesn’t seem outrageous. That would put him well in the lead for AHL defenceman scoring.

He’s currently 3rd in points per game. And the two Dmen ahead have only played 17 and 13 games, respectively.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If memory serves, they actually looked pretty dangerous together during those games when Rathbone took Petey’s spot on the right half wall.

I think it was last season when Pettersson was out injured. Rathbone got a couple games on the first unit and it looked pretty effective. Good movement and passing and I believe they even capitalized on at least one power play goal.

I’m not sure I’d use a two D formation too often as 1PP, especially if it means Petey has to come out, but I do think that, if and when Rathbone becomes an NHL regular, they need to find a way to get him onto the power play. His shot is too much of a weapon to leave on the bench.

For a smaller guy he has such a powerful shot. His goal last night was ridiculous, I wonder what that clocked in at speed wise!? If he can keep his game solid in the NHL he would be like our version of Makar. He is just as agile as him and knows when and where to get his shot off. To have both Hughes and Bone making plays on the blue line on the PP would all be every Canucks fans wet dream haha. One can wish we will be so lucky!

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For a smaller guy he has such a powerful shot. His goal last night was ridiculous, I wonder what that clocked in at speed wise!? If he can keep his game solid in the NHL he would be like our version of Makar. He is just as agile as him and knows when and where to get his shot off. To have both Hughes and Bone making plays on the blue line on the PP would all be every Canucks fans wet dream haha. One can wish we will be so lucky!

What is Rathbone's weight? I've seen 177 to 190 pounds?

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Rathbone who I like a lot is good, but Makar is wow. The first game I watched of Makar I literally couldn't believe my eyes. He processes the game at a level one above elite. I'll settle for good but a Makar, never going to happen 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Rathbone who I like a lot is good, but Makar is wow. The first game I watched of Makar I literally couldn't believe my eyes. He processes the game at a level one above elite. I'll settle for good but a Makar, never going to happen 

Haha for sure, I just mean he’s got that shot like Makar does. It’s a laser. The way Makar walks the blue line and gets hits shots off is amazing to watch. Rathbone does remind me of him in that respect. I’m definitely not saying he will be Makar but he plays like him I think. I’ll take Makar light and Hughes in the PP. However I have to contain my excitement as it’s not like Rathbone has proven himself like that in the NHL. But a guy can dream!

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What is Rathbone's weight? I've seen 177 to 190 pounds?

Honestly hard to say, when you see him in interviews he doesn’t look 190 but maybe he is? He’s built like Hughes. Small upper body and horse legs on the bottom lol. If I were to bet he is in the 180 pound area.

• Vintage 1