The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

8 hours ago, Guile said:

You never know, he could perform better than expected. One day, he may make fans scream. I think he could be huge for us.

As long as he is not a one shot wonder or comes up lame and limps to the room never to be heard from again.   I think it is important his minutes are protected too to avoid exposing him to some elements in the game too soon.   Regardless, as long as he is up for it he should have a least a decent shot at it.

13 minutes ago, TGokou said:

You know it's too slow when our most respected posters feel the need to come.. and blow up a prospect's thread with useless dialogue.

Just having a bit of fun :) To be fair, this all stemmed from a couple of us saying that we're very interested to see him perform at the prospects game in a couple weeks, since he's one of those guys that doesn't have a lot of video out there. Should be exciting to see how his skating compares to some of our better prospects, particularly if we take a D at 7th overall. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Guile said:

Just having a bit of fun :) To be fair, this all stemmed from a couple of us saying that we're very interested to see him perform at the prospects game in a couple weeks, since he's one of those guys that doesn't have a lot of video out there. Should be exciting to see how his skating compares to some of our better prospects, particularly if we take a D at 7th overall. 

Don't worry I was having a bit of fun in there as well...

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....but does Rathbone have Hughes Bahl's size and shot...

Jack is heavier than Hughes, and is a fabulous skater.  Plus, he’s more physical than Hughes.  

Jack Rathbone is going to be a star NHL Dman.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jack is heavier than Hughes, and is a fabulous skater.  Plus, he’s more physical than Hughes.  

Jack Rathbone is going to be a star NHL Dman.

hopefully he'll be at the summer showdown, I'd like to see that for myself. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hopefully he'll be at the summer showdown, I'd like to see that for myself. 

I think barring an injury between now and the end of camp “showdown” game , he should be playing. He’s on the list the team released. And yes, his skating is really something to see. It’s pretty noticeable even in drills and in a game situation he can really fly out there.

• Cheers 2

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think barring an injury between now and the end of camp “showdown” game , he should be playing. He’s on the list the team released. And yes, his skating is really something to see. It’s pretty noticeable even in drills and in a game situation he can really fly out there.

sweet, thanks Sid. 

I wonder if he'll be ready to sign a contract after his 1st college year? I'm thinking one because he's already 19. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sweet, thanks Sid. 

I wonder if he'll be ready to sign a contract after his 1st college year? I'm thinking one because he's already 19. 

I think it’ll depend on how well he adjusts to the college game. If he settles in really well and puts up 30ish points as a freshman, then I could see the Canucks offering him a contract. But I think the plan for right now is to take things pretty slow and let him develop over the next few years in college. Unless he really shines next season, I wouldn’t expect to see Rathbone go pro until at least his sophomore or junior season. Maybe even the full 4 years. He’s considered a long term prospect, but of course that can all change rather quickly if his performance accelerates the timeline.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it’ll depend on how well he adjusts to the college game. If he settles in really well and puts up 30ish points as a freshman, then I could see the Canucks offering him a contract. But I think the plan for right now is to take things pretty slow and let him develop over the next few years in college. Unless he really shines next season, I wouldn’t expect to see Rathbone go pro until at least his sophomore or junior season. Maybe even the full 4 years. He’s considered a long term prospect, but of course that can all change rather quickly if his performance accelerates the timeline.

He'll likely bulk up a little bit under a college program, but given the way the game is going if he's in the 180-185 range thats just fine for a speedy offensive defensemen. Might be well worth the wait.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

On 6/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, speak for yourself please.   I have a no backdoor policy - go behind my net and I will push it on you.   

Oh come on Rob, all that time in Europe and never once.....?

• Haha 1