The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

No room for Guddy?... Damn that's depth.

In fairness, this is probably 3+ years in to the future. Depending on if it's Tryamkin on 3rd pair or Briesbois might be the difference between Stecher/Guddy back there in 3 years. (Or in all likelihood, perhaps even completely different guys.)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lol re: roids. But yeah, you could see from the first day of camp that Jack’s gotten bigger. Probably an inch taller and at least 15 lbs heavier than he was at last year’s combine. He’s looking really strong. From what I heard, he used the two months he missed with the injury (knee IIRC) to work on his upper body strength. His legs and core were already really strong, but he’s clearly added muscle to his chest, shoulders, and arms. Still skates like the wind but now he can also control and move guys much easier. He’s also matured a year and that makes a huge difference on it’s own. But Rathbone (like many of our guys) has a bit of a gym rat rep, so he’s probably packed on serious muscle since the last time he was in Vancouver. He may very well end up 6’ and 200 lbs (already listed 5’11” and 190 lbs by Harvard and he looks that size right now).

Watch out Hutton, the young guys smell an opportunity to become NHLers. These guys look hungry and they know the guys in their way haven’t exactly set the world on fire.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In fairness, this is probably 3+ years in to the future. Depending on if it's Tryamkin on 3rd pair or Briesbois might be the difference between Stecher/Guddy back there in 3 years. (Or in all likelihood, perhaps even completely different guys.)

I like your pairings but isn't Rathbone a left handed defensemen?

We could really use another good RD prospect. Chatfield may be able to fill a spot in a Tanev capacity on the third pairing.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Rathbone/Tryamkin-Chatfield

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like your pairings but isn't Rathbone a left handed defensemen?

We could really use another good RD prospect. Chatfield may be able to fill a spot in a Tanev capacity on the third pairing.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Rathbone/Tryamkin-Chatfield

I believe he shoots L but plays R. At least IIRC...someone can feel free to correct.

19 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That was Jett Woo who got sat on his butt as well....Rathbone looks quite a bit bigger...what's going on here...are roids allowed again...?

Super stoked to see him on Thursday...hopefully paired with Mini Mighty....

These are kids being drafted and people seem surprised when they grow.    This kid was in high school last year.    I don't think it is roids, but believe that the teenage body raiding the fridge daily and grazing otherwise 16 hours a day along with a healthy dose of hormones is playing its part.   

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Watch out Hutton, the young guys smell an opportunity to become NHLers. These guys look hungry and they know the guys in their way haven’t exactly set the world on fire.  

With all due respect to the Huttons of the world, as the team improves the ability for a fifth round pick to jump into the lineup as a 'surprise' will greatly diminish.   

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

With all due respect to the Huttons of the world, as the team improves the ability for a fifth round pick to jump into the lineup as a 'surprise' will greatly diminish.   

I am expecting a big comeback from Hutton.  I think Green was pushing him because he knew he had a lot more to give, not because he didn't like him.  I don't think he has taken himself seriously enough in the past.  If he can become what we all thought he could after his first year, that will allow us to move MDZ and possibly Edler at the deadline for more picks and prospects.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am expecting a big comeback from Hutton.  I think Green was pushing him because he knew he had a lot more to give, not because he didn't like him.  I don't think he has taken himself seriously enough in the past.  If he can become what we all thought he could after his first year, that will allow us to move MDZ and possibly Edler at the deadline for more picks and prospects.

Hutton, when carrying puck out of the d-zone never seemed to be aware of the backchecking pressure. Bieksa was like that also. I was always worried about them getting pickpocket-ed. Maybe it was their first couple steps - no acceleration at all. The Hughes and Rathbones have that acceleration and awareness.

Also, I seem to remember the old Hutton Maine highlights. The year he scored 15 goals, he was in a rover position on the pp mainly and he scored from basically the Elias Petterson office. No way will you see him on the pp doing that on a Travis Green team. 

13 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Hutton, when carrying puck out of the d-zone never seemed to be aware of the backchecking pressure. Bieksa was like that also. I was always worried about them getting pickpocket-ed. Maybe it was their first couple steps - no acceleration at all. The Hughes and Rathbones have that acceleration and awareness.

Also, I seem to remember the old Hutton Maine highlights. The year he scored 15 goals, he was in a rover position on the pp mainly and he scored from basically the Elias Petterson office. No way will you see him on the pp doing that on a Travis Green team. 

Hutton...really just needs to lose the goofy grin and the child like demeanour that it represents ...if he grows up and gets serious about his career....watch out...

Rathbone on the other hand may not need much time in college to mature up...

• Upvote 2

It would be incredible if Rathbone made the team in a year or two. It sounds like he's progressed, gotten bigger. Can't wait to see him play tomorrow. Benning really does pretty well with the later picks

Rathbone - #95

Utunen - #130

Gunnarsson - #135

Gaudette - #149

Jasek - #174

Palmu - #181

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Like maybe Chatfield if he can develop into a guy that can be in the NHL what he was in junior.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

It would be incredible if Rathbone made the team in a year or two. It sounds like he's progressed, gotten bigger. Can't wait to see him play tomorrow. Benning really does pretty well with the later picks

Rathbone - #95

Utunen - #130

Gunnarsson - #135

Gaudette - #149

Jasek - #174

Palmu - #181

Forsling #126   -Already an NHLer, traded to soon.

Brassard #188  -50P season in OHL. Should get ELC this or next offseason

Thiessen #192    -Another promising goalie Canucks had ranked much higher

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

No room for Guddy?... Damn that's depth.

I see no reason to have Guddy if we get Tryamkin back.  Tryamkin brings everything Guddy does along with a far more imposing stance.  I mean, we could just goon up the blueline but I'd rather see skill and shutdown ability in there as well.

2 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

It was a Newell Brown power play, and there was plenty of rotation, so it is quite conceivable that if Hutton got a shot on the PP unit that he could rotate into the Pettersson spot.  But you are right in your observation that in college most of his goals in his big year were from that same spot on the ice.  As I recall, even his first goal in Utica was from that spot (off the rush, though and full strength).

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Kevin Bieksa, Adam Gaudette, and Aucoin (still holds the Canucks record for goals by a defenceman with 24).

37 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I see no reason to have Guddy if we get Tryamkin back.  Tryamkin brings everything Guddy does along with a far more imposing stance.  I mean, we could just goon up the blueline but I'd rather see skill and shutdown ability in there as well.

While Tryamkin rack dolled just about anybody, I've still to see him knock the head clean off anybody, so I don't quite agree on this.

This doesn't mean I don't want Tryamkin, as he was awesome, but I still fancy Guddy to hang about.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Kevin Bieksa, Adam Gaudette, and Aucoin (still holds the Canucks record for goals by a defenceman with 24).

Good call.   Kevin Bieksa is probably a first round pick in that draft in hindsight.   I don't know Aucoin per se but hear he was pretty good (before my time).   Gaudette certainly has a shot of becoming one for sure.    

• Upvote 1