The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Rathbone posted Hughes like numbers for Harvard this season, although he had a lot more scoring support from forwards than Hughes did.  We have a real glut of offensive d-men right now, but that's not a bad thing.  I don't know if he makes the team next season, but he's not that far off, I'd think.

8 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Rathbone posted Hughes like numbers for Harvard this season, although he had a lot more scoring support from forwards than Hughes did.  We have a real glut of offensive d-men right now, but that's not a bad thing.  I don't know if he makes the team next season, but he's not that far off, I'd think.

I guess it's a good thing that we have guys like Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Gaudette, & Miller for Rathbone to pass the puck to :)

5 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I guess it's a good thing that we have guys like Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Gaudette, & Miller for Rathbone to pass the puck to :)

Rathbone and Hughes on the point for the PP might be interesting.  With those two, you don't need a 4th forward.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Then follow them up with Juolevi and Rafferty on the second unit .......

Highly doubtful.

Neither have shown anything at all at the NHL level.  So I recant my "highly doubtful" and replace it with it simply will not happen next year in any way, shape, or form. 100% will not happen.

17 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Highly doubtful.

Neither have shown anything at all at the NHL level.  So I recant my "highly doubtful" and replace it with it simply will not happen next year in any way, shape, or form. 100% will not happen.

LOL, you dont know

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

LOL, you dont know

I don't know that Juolevi won't be a top 4 D man on the Canucks for 20/21?

Haha, yes I do. Just watch him. He can barely do it in the AHL.

I mean, I hope he continues to develop (as slow as that has been for him) but him suddenly being a top 4 NHL D in a mere matter of months is like wishing you win the 649. Use common sense for goodness sake.

Edited by CanuckCup2022

13 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

I don't know that Juolevi won't be a top 4 D man on the Canucks for 20/21?

Haha, yes I do. Just watch him. He can barely do it in the AHL.

I mean, I hope he continues to develop (as slow as that has been for him) but him suddenly being a top 4 NHL D in a mere matter of months is like wishing you win the 649. Use common sense for goodness sake.

Common sense would tell any reasonable person not to be 100% sure about things they could not possibly know. Perhaps when you get a bit older you will start to understand the difference between things you know and things you don't.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Common sense would tell any reasonable person not to be 100% sure about things they could not possibly know. Perhaps when you get a bit older you will start to understand the difference between things you know and things you don't.

That's true for sure, or to put it in the words of a philosopher .... "The owl of Minerva spreads it's wing only with the falling of dusk" But it holds true for all people and not confined ( maybe more prevalent with youth ) in modern idiom don't bet on some thing you don't know any thing about :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

lol ok.

If I get a bit older I can retire on this very nice pension I have been building for years. Thanks for the advice though haha.

Regardless, I do know there is zero chance OJ is a top 4 D regularly with the Canucks in this upcoming season.  :lol:

20 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

lol ok.

If I get a bit older I can retire on this very nice pension I have been building for years. Thanks for the advice though haha.

Regardless, I do know there is zero chance OJ is a top 4 D regularly with the Canucks in this upcoming season.  :lol:

You "do know" that, do you? Well then, it seems likely at this point in your life that you will never understand the difference between what you actually know and your opinion.

Before you could possibly know what you think you know, in addition to knowing exactly how OJ and his peers will perform, you would need to know what trades the team will make and what injuries they will suffer.

Wisdom just never comes to some people.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe Rathbone is already in Edmonton? 

If I was Jack, I’d probably have done the isolating and testing in Boston, and then caught a flight to Edmonton to do the 4 day hotel room quarantine at the hub city (rather than a 2 week standard quarantine). He could then be cleared and ready to join the team when the boys arrive at the Hub.

That way he can practice and hang out with the players and staff for as long as the Canucks are in the play-in/playoffs.

Getting that time with the team would be really valuable, even though he can’t play any of the games. Rathbone could build relationships with players and staff, prove himself and showcase his skills during practices/scrimmages, and set himself up really well for when he returns for next season’s camp (whenever that is).

Have to imagine that it would give him a leg up to make some new friends on the team. When he comes back next season, he’d just be “Jack” (or more likely “Bones” or “Boner,” knowing hockey players—or maybe “Basil” from the more creative guys), instead of “that kid” or “the new guy.” Much easier to prove he belongs if the guys are already familiar with him, have shared an experience through the Hub/return-to-play, and kind of already treat him like part of the team.

• Like 1