The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That may be true of Chatfield, but certainly not of Rafferty. Rafferty, after all, was last year’s a Rathbone.

Not really. Rafferty is 25 years old. He's largely developed and has something like a 'Yanik Weber' upside IMO. Solid PP2, #6/7 D guy that can fill in for injuries/be a decent bottom pair/spare guy.

Rathbone's ceiling is much higher.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, granpappy said:

tanev could play from day one. he didn't make any mistakes moving the puck and was a very effective checker. i don't think chatfield has those exact qualities. it does look like rathbone is in the tanev mould, that being a very dependable, consistent player that, while not being a bruiser, does use body leverage to control the puck. the big difference between rathbone and tanev is what will likely be rathbone's point totals over the years. chatfield, at best, will put on the weight and become a defensive workhorse 

Chatfield came in to play on the worst edition of the Canucks in recent memory.  I actually thought he had 6 strong games and three disaster games. Against the backdrop of the tire fire around him, I thought he showed a lot of promise.  

Tanev came in to play on the 2011 team with 5 other great dmen and a great team game.  

If Chatfield becomes 0.75 of the player that Tanev was I’ll be happy, but they came in under different circumstances. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

On 2/28/2021 at 10:47 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

Not about being sold.... But Jordan Subban is smaller and doesn't have the hockey IQ Rathbone has.  Will Rathbone  be a top 4 defencemen?... We'll see but I do believe he'll be a nhl defencemen for years to come.  

Youre judging though from Subban's career totality in the AHL compared to a whopping to 2 games with Rathbone. Who's to say Rathbone struggles defensively the next few games or so. Ive seen way optimism plugging guys in the lineup already next season for guys like Rathbone, Woo that I think we should pump the brakes a bit. A rookie d-man is hard as it is making the team already, let alone 2 at the same time LOL. I'll reserve my judgement at for at least a season

On 2/28/2021 at 8:13 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I will agree Chatfield is not nearly as far along or as reliable as Tanev but he is still young and a work in progress.

Too early to write off Chatfield, but I can see why management likes him. Hes a superior skater to Juolevi, theres a bit of flash in his game. Problem is just the decision making, but maybe that can be rectified through experience maybe when he gets another oppurtunity. Chatfield is a lot better though than some guys we've seen come up here, like Brisbois. Benning whiffed on that one

15 hours ago, appleboy said:

Rathbone was on the taxi squad and spent a lot of time being coached. It sounds like it did him a lot of good.

Chatfield just got 9 games and now has the opportunity to work with the trainers and coaches. Those 9 games will have given him a lot better understanding of what it will take to become a full time NHL'er.   Chatfield is not a guy who will put up a ton of numbers. Fans see that as garbage as most fans just look at stats. They did it with Tanev for years. There is always space for a solid defensive D man. Someone who can kill penalties. The guys that you use once the team gets a lead. The shut down players who you use at the end of games. I think he will end up with a solid NHL career.

I think Chatfield is more Stetcher if anything, rather than Tanev. Remember how Stetch pretty much made the team out of camp? (I think he played a game or 2 in the A then he was up in the big team the whole season, salary cap reasons?) Stetcher can skate really well with the puck, just like Chatfield. The difference though is Tanev can not only do that, but he handles forecheckers better when he's pressured. That last trait I mentioned was always there even in Tanev's earlier years, Chatfield in time is gonna need to do that if he wants to be like Tanev

On 2/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, aGENT said:

To be fair, 'garbage' is a bit harsh. But both Chatfield and Rafferty have likely at best, bottom pair, to spare pair, ceilings. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Good teams need solid depth players. It's a hell of a lot better than the NHL careers of ALL CDC posters :P

Here, fixed it for you

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

cant wait for him to join the bigs soon, now hopefully we can add some grit and size too our blueline

He probably won’t be up here this year unless we trade a couple D and/or significant injuries happen. 

Let him play 20+ in the AHL and go on a playoff run.

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Kid won't be denied.  Could we be looking at Edler's last year on the team?  A lot more possible now than a couple of months ago.

Yeah I wonder where Edler’s head at on that.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

He probably won’t be up here this year unless we trade a couple D and/or significant injuries happen. 

Let him play 20+ in the AHL and go on a playoff run.

Yeah I wonder where Edler’s head at on that.

yeah dont see him joining for a year or two, depending on how things go also how covids gunna complicate things down the road.

Just now, TNucks1 said:

yeah dont see him joining for a year or two, depending on how things go also how covids gunna complicate things down the road.

Having Rathbone and OJ definitely gives us a good chance of one of these guys panning out into a top 4 D. Jurmo too but he was a high risk/reward pick. 

Things will be interesting when Edler retires. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Having Rathbone and OJ definitely gives us a good chance of one of these guys panning out into a top 4 D. Jurmo too but he was a high risk/reward pick. 

Things will be interesting when Edler retires. 

really liked the jurmo pick, love his size and speed, really hoping he pans out.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Kid won't be denied.  Could we be looking at Edler's last year on the team?  A lot more possible now than a couple of months ago.

If we added Tryamkin that would actually increase our size and physicality on the back end and probably save us four mil per year (Edler’ 6 mil - 2 mil for Try) - Hughes, Schmidt and Juolevi would made a decent left side, or switch Schmidt to the right and add Rathbone. The right side could then be Schmidt, Tryamkin and Myers - keep Rafferty as a seventh D. 

Woo has been playing well, better each game, gosh know what we will have in him with a pro season under his belt.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nice to see that kind of confidence when it comes to his shot. 

30 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I don't imagine we'll see him this season, Utica would probably be a better environment for him anyway. Let him play bigger minutes and hopefully go on a run with the Comets. He's not likely to sniff playoffs at the NHL level this season. 

As for Edler, hard to say. But I think he'll be back for at least another season, probably on a one year deal at a lower cap hit. Letting Rathbone stew for an extra year wouldn't hurt his development. 

Edited by Coconuts

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If we added Tryamkin that would actually increase our size and physicality on the back end and probably save us four mil per year (Edler’ 6 mil - 2 mil for Try) - Hughes, Schmidt and Juolevi would made a decent left side, or switch Schmidt to the right and add Rathbone. The right side could then be Schmidt, Tryamkin and Myers - keep Rafferty as a seventh D. 

Woo has been playing well, better each game, gosh know what we will have in him with a pro season under his belt.

Not opposed to re-signing Tryamkin at all, but 2 lefties playing RD is a bridge too far for me.  Maybe re-sign Hamonic instead of Edler though?  It's tough:  Edler has been great for us and deserves all the respect, but Rathbone is a very dynamic player who we shouldn't hold back beyond this year.  Something will have to give.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He didn’t get an assist on the first goal, but he was the guy that broke out the puck that led to the goal.