The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

9 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Edler is absolutely the type of dude that I could see signing 1-year deals for cheap, especially if he feels the team's window is opening. Of all our players, he's one that I doubt ever plays for another team.

That's how I see it too, he's the last guy on the team I see being prepared to go elsewhere to play. He was here during the rise and experienced our peak as we made the finals, but he also chose to stick around during our decline and to play through tough years despite the fact he could have asked to be traded elsewhere. He didn't have to re-sign here either, but did so at likely less than market value. His family, friends, and several teammates both past and present are based in Vancouver.

These are the things I bring up when people suggest trying to get him to waive or propose trading him. It's extremely unlikely. 

I see him signing maybe a two year deal tops, but wouldn't be surprised to see him go season by season at this point. But I def see him retiring a Canuck. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, absolutely, Green never gives rookies a chance. Brock, Petey, Huggy and Hogs would certainly attest to that, right?

Sorry- should have been more specific that D-men were the topic.  And Hughes for sure is the exception. 

Edited by Googlie

31 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sorry- should have been more specific that D-men were the topic.  And Hughes for sure is the exception. 

What top flight D prospects has he not given chances to?

I hope you have a hell of a lot longer list then Juolevi who's a rookie, isn't a right D where we have the greatest need, missed but a few games and has had injury/recovery issues none of has any clue whether they're managing our not.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What top flight D prospects has he not given chances to?

I hope you have a hell of a lot longer list then Juolevi who's a rookie, isn't a right D where we have the greatest need, missed but a few games and has had injury/recovery issues none of has any clue whether they're managing our not.

Here's a challenge. When you watch Juolevi, he plays the left side but has trouble pivoting to his left and some times resorts to going the long way ie pivots to his right to follow a forward on his outside. It gives his opponent at least a half stride and opportunity to dip his shoulder and drive on net. He has to straiten that up unless it's a result of his injury which make it difficult   any one else notice this ?????

Congrats to Rathbone 5 points in his first 3 AHL games.  Kid is a legit prospect.  He was exciting in HS plus College now AHL.  I predict he makes the Canucks next season and sticks.  When we add Tryamkin and drop Benn and Chatfield the Canucks 8 on D may well look like:

Hughes, Edler, Jolevi and Rathbone on left

and Schmidt Myers, Tryamkin and Hamonic on right.

I am gonna go ahead and say that is a decent D. 

e

• Cheers 2

It's crazy how we already have a young superstar defenceman in Quinn Hughes and AND Rathbone coming up soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack becomes and another elite defenceman as well - he's got all the tools. His skating ability might be better than Hughes and he has a bomb of a shot.

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

His skating ability might be better than Hughes and he has a bomb of a shot.

In terms of his edges, 4 direction mobility, and general escapability, I’d say no. Quinn Hughes is just something special, and probably top-10 on the planet. JR excels in these areas, and is certainly “plus” rated, but he’s not at QH’s level. In terms of straight line, both acceleration and top speed, I’d say you have a case for Rathbone being the superior skater (possibly backward as well). And when it comes to that bomb of a shot, you’ll get no argument from me.

• Cheers 4

On 3/4/2021 at 12:17 AM, DontMessMe said:

Whose more NHL-ready. Rathbone, Woo, or Rafferty? 

Rafferty, right now.  He began last season as a 24 year old. In two months, Rathbone will be 22, After Rathbone finishes a season in the AHL, we’ll see if on balance and after we see Woo’s progress, how that stands up. Right now, after THREE games, Rathbone has more than a point a game. After the first two thirds of last year’s AHL season, as a pro rookie, Rafferty led all D with more than a point a game until the game where he got hurt (by the way he was 1g 3a in that game and riding a hot streak). He cooled off after he got hurt until near the end of that injury, in a Covid shortened season.

Too many people don’t give Rafferty the credit he was due, and too few recognize his growth that season when compared to his college career, where he was deployed more in a defensive role than how Cull deployed him in Utica. He didn’t start that season on the first unit PP, Juolevi did. Rafferty started last season deployed with Teves in a defensive role. Rafferty took over PP first unit and added a new dimension to his play in his rookie pro season. Too bad he is spinning his wheels up here on the taxi squad, he should be in Utica, playing, instead of up here spinning his wheels. Up here, we already have Juolevi sitting in the press box, Brisebois and Chatfield available from the taxi squad, and Sautner available on short notice in Winnipeg. 

They did the right thing with Rathbone, now do the right thing with Rafferty. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, Coconuts said:

That's how I see it too, he's the last guy on the team I see being prepared to go elsewhere to play. He was here during the rise and experienced our peak as we made the finals, but he also chose to stick around during our decline and to play through tough years despite the fact he could have asked to be traded elsewhere. He didn't have to re-sign here either, but did so at likely less than market value. His family, friends, and several teammates both past and present are based in Vancouver.

These are the things I bring up when people suggest trying to get him to waive or propose trading him. It's extremely unlikely. 

I see him signing maybe a two year deal tops, but wouldn't be surprised to see him go season by season at this point. But I def see him retiring a Canuck. 

The last opportunity Edler had to sign for cheap, he held out for six mil per - don’t count on Edler for cheap, at his age, hockey is a business. Wth the way governments are running up massive debt, the chances of hyper inflation are high and six mil is what a carrot might cost in a couple of years.

As a kid, I was a stamp collector, and I remember seeing German stamps from the twenties that were printed at 100 marks, then overprinted with a thousand marks, then a million, then a billion - just to mail a letter. That happened over just a couple of years of governments doing exactly what they are doing now - creating credit like it has no limit. People in Austria were running wheel barrow loads of money to the store to buy whatever good was available, to have something tangible before the paper was worth less than paper and ink. That is happening in Venezuela where parents abandon the kids they can’t feed and 25% of the population has left the country. Venezuela has greater oil reserves than Canada, and we are doing what they did to get in that state.

Hockey players have professional money managers, for the most part, and they will inform Edler regarding the value of a buck.

31 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The last opportunity Edler had to sign for cheap, he held out for six mil per

How long did he hold out, plus when and what was the first offer to him?

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rafferty, right now.  He began last season as a 24 year old. In two months, Rathbone will be 22, After Rathbone finishes a season in the AHL, we’ll see if on balance and after we see Woo’s progress, how that stands up. Right now, after THREE games, Rathbone has more than a point a game. After the first two thirds of last year’s AHL season, as a pro rookie, Rafferty led all D with more than a point a game until the game where he got hurt (by the way he was 1g 3a in that game and riding a hot streak). He cooled off after he got hurt until near the end of that injury, in a Covid shortened season.

Too many people don’t give Rafferty the credit he was due, and too few recognize his growth that season when compared to his college career, where he was deployed more in a defensive role than how Cull deployed him in Utica. He didn’t start that season on the first unit PP, Juolevi did. Rafferty started last season deployed with Teves in a defensive role. Rafferty took over PP first unit and added a new dimension to his play in his rookie pro season. Too bad he is spinning his wheels up here on the taxi squad, he should be in Utica, playing, instead of up here spinning his wheels. Up here, we already have Juolevi sitting in the press box, Brisebois and Chatfield available from the taxi squad, and Sautner available on short notice in Winnipeg

They did the right thing with Rathbone, now do the right thing with Rafferty. 

Sautner is cooling his heels in the press box taxi squad too - was brought up to replace Rathbone when he was sent down to Utica 

And Brisebois being loaned to Laval means that someone is ready to come back, into the taxi squad.  Motte's return being the harbinger of Michaelis returning to the squad? He had a good game the other night.

Edited by Googlie

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The last opportunity Edler had to sign for cheap, he held out for six mil per - don’t count on Edler for cheap, at his age, hockey is a business. Wth the way governments are running up massive debt, the chances of hyper inflation are high and six mil is what a carrot might cost in a couple of years.

As a kid, I was a stamp collector, and I remember seeing German stamps from the twenties that were printed at 100 marks, then overprinted with a thousand marks, then a million, then a billion - just to mail a letter. That happened over just a couple of years of governments doing exactly what they are doing now - creating credit like it has no limit. People in Austria were running wheel barrow loads of money to the store to buy whatever good was available, to have something tangible before the paper was worth less than paper and ink. That is happening in Venezuela where parents abandon the kids they can’t feed and 25% of the population has left the country. Venezuela has greater oil reserves than Canada, and we are doing what they did to get in that state.

Hockey players have professional money managers, for the most part, and they will inform Edler regarding the value of a buck.

Hockey absolutely is a business, no doubt. 

The last opportunity Edler had to re-sign he took a 1m raise and didn't push for a retirement length deal after back to back 34 point seasons. 2-4 years ago he was our de facto #1D playing heavier minutes alongside Tanev with much worse defensive depth behind him than he's got now. He easily could have gotten more on the open market at age 32 if it'd simply been amount making the most money he could. When he negotiated that deal we hadn't seen What Petey or Hughes would go on to do or their impact on the team, he chose to stay here on some pretty lousy Canucks teams. Very easily could have requested a trade to a contender while making 5m per. 

Of course he's probably got someone managing his money, and of course his agent is going to likely push for the most he can get. But yeah, Edler could have gotten more elsewhere. I've no way of proving it, but I believe he's left money on the table to stay in Vancouver during his last two contract negotiations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone in the 4th round is complete highway robbery.  Hughes has the upper hand but we needed a 7th overall pick to get him.  Rathbone may not be as flashy as Hughes, but he is a tremendous skater, doesn't have a problem getting his nose dirty, is a little bigger than Hughes and has a booming shot.  He could turn out to be a top 4 Dman in this league. 

I am sure he will make the Canucks next year.  The problem is where to fit him in.  It's gonna be a dogfight between him and Juolevi on that left side.  We may eventually have to trade one of them to fit the other on a full time basis.  Nice problem to have.  

Rathbone has all the qualities you need to be a star defenceman in the NHL.  And he has extremely high character as well.  Probably the best 4th round pick in Canucks history (sorry Harold Snepsts)...

Ya it's going to be awkward having Rathbone and Juolevi trying to learn the ropes in the NHL at the same time. Eventually I see Rathbone as a 2nd pair guy and Juolevi on the 3rd.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hockey absolutely is a business, no doubt. 

The last opportunity Edler had to re-sign he took a 1m raise and didn't push for a retirement length deal after back to back 34 point seasons. 2-4 years ago he was our de facto #1D playing heavier minutes alongside Tanev with much worse defensive depth behind him than he's got now. He easily could have gotten more on the open market at age 32 if it'd simply been amount making the most money he could. When he negotiated that deal we hadn't seen What Petey or Hughes would go on to do or their impact on the team, he chose to stay here on some pretty lousy Canucks teams. Very easily could have requested a trade to a contender while making 5m per. 

Of course he's probably got someone managing his money, and of course his agent is going to likely push for the most he can get. But yeah, Edler could have gotten more elsewhere. I've no way of proving it, but I believe he's left money on the table to stay in Vancouver during his last two contract negotiations. 

We find out how much Vancouver fans overrate their players every time nobody else wants them for those high draft picks and player returns that the fans think the Canucks deserve.

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya it's going to be awkward having Rathbone and Juolevi trying to learn the ropes in the NHL at the same time. Eventually I see Rathbone as a 2nd pair guy and Juolevi on the 3rd.

To think, theres overzealous fans that are expecting Woo and even Tryamkin to be in a Canuck uniform next season. D-corps next season with Team Rose Coloured Glasses would have

Hughes Woo

Juolevi Rathbone

Schmidt Tryamkin

Myers

5 of the 7 have less than 4 seasons of nhl experience LOL. We need to pump the brakes a bit on the young D-men coming up

On 3/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, fanfor42 said:

Congrats to Rathbone 5 points in his first 3 AHL games.  Kid is a legit prospect.  He was exciting in HS plus College now AHL.  I predict he makes the Canucks next season and sticks.  When we add Tryamkin and drop Benn and Chatfield the Canucks 8 on D may well look like:

Hughes, Edler, Jolevi and Rathbone on left

and Schmidt Myers, Tryamkin and Hamonic on right.

I am gonna go ahead and say that is a decent D. 

e

I like that as a top 8. I'm kinda losing hope that Tram comes back tho. Hamonic got crapped on by Flames fans and blamed him for Hanafin's production but considering how little points he's getting with Tanev maybe Hamonic was unfairly blamed. I think he's looked really good.

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I like that as a top 8. I'm kinda losing hope that Tram comes back tho. Hamonic got crapped on by Flames fans and blamed him for Hanafin's production but considering how little points he's getting with Tanev maybe Hamonic was unfairly blamed. I think he's looked really good.

Yeah its honestly an awesome signing. He brings some grit too. On paper our D is as good as any in the north division. On ice we're flaming piles of poo. 

I dont neccesarily want green gone but t brown and Baum have to go imo.

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I tink OJ will become the Edler replacement.......the high minute muncher who plays the hard minutes and in plays in every situation.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We find out how much Vancouver fans overrate their players every time nobody else wants them for those high draft picks and player returns that the fans think the Canucks deserve.

That narrative would make sense in this context if only there had been an effort to unload Edler for draft picks or other players.  Since there's never been an effort to move Edler I'm not sure where you're going with this.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1