The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

16 hours ago, tyhee said:

Feeling old can be a terrible thing, so to make you feel younger  ...

When I entered UBC tuition for 1st year students in either Arts or Sciences was $428, of which B.C. government scholarships would cover up to 3/4 based on the results of the government scholarship exams (and then those would continue for future years depending on marks.)  When I entered law school at UBC tuition for that faculty was, iirc, $540.

Thanks, tyhee. Can't buy you a beer so I will ask you to settle for hydration point. I thought I was maybe the only person around to be of that vintage. I entered UBC on the same basis in what now seems like some sort of alternative reality. 

Sorry, guys, I know this does not have much to do with Rathbone. Getting back to Rathbone, I see he has 4 goals in 8 games so far. (See http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311766)

Hard to know what that means on a comparative basis, though. Rathbone seems like a good kid and I am certainly hoping for the best.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Getting back to Rathbone, I see he has 4 goals in 8 games so far. (See http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311766)

Those stats are for his Mass Selects (tier 1 midget) games. He’s been playing on a team (Cape Cod Whalers U18) that features the top players from the best prep schools in the area. They play a half season, on top of their games for their respective school teams.

He’s also playing highschool games (that season started November 29th IIRC) but unfortunately, his stats for the Dexter Southfield Varsity team aren’t publicly available right now.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

So through the grapevine of the Canucks Army “Blackfish Report” comments section (credit to “SJ”), Rathbone had 2 assists in Dexter’s 2 preseason scrimmages and then had 1 goal and 2 assists through Dexter’s first 3 games this season. 

And now apparently he’s out due to a nagging knee injury and will miss an upcoming tournament. Doesn’t sound too serious though.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/12/14/blackfish-canucksarmy-prospect-report-december-14th-2017/

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So through the grapevine of the Canucks Army “Blackfish Report” comments section (credit to “SJ”), Rathbone had 2 assists in Dexter’s 2 preseason scrimmages and then had 1 goal and 2 assists through Dexter’s first 3 games this season. 

And now apparently he’s out due to a nagging knee injury and will miss an upcoming tournament. Doesn’t sound too serious though.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/12/14/blackfish-canucksarmy-prospect-report-december-14th-2017/

Wouldn't be right if our prospects weren't getting injured too

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Wouldn't be right if our prospects weren't getting injured too

No doubt. Hopefully he’s not out for very long.

From the way it was described, he may have gotten hurt during those Mass Selects games he played before Dexter’s season started. Sounds kinda like he may have just played through it and then they eventually realized he needed to sit for a bit and heal up.

“Senior D Jack Rathbone will be out for a few weeks, the result of a nagging knee injury suffered in fall hockey.”

Since I posted some bad news earlier (Rathbone being injured), here’s some good news:

“I read somewhere that he might’ve been a first-round pick if not for playing high school hockey.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/12/12/canucksarmy-monday-mailbag-december-11th-part-deux/

I actually read the same thing as JD mentions in the above quote. And like him, I can’t remember the source. But I can vouch for the content.

Would be pretty amazing if our first 5 picks in 2017 (Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Rathbone) all ended up being first round level talents.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say he's definitely one of the most intriguing prospects we have

It's been so difficult finding stats on this kid for the 2017/18 season, but I may have found something:

https://nzprephockey.com/team-stats/?1259/Dexter

This site shows all the stats, schedule, and boxscores for Dexter this year

Couple things:

- If it's true that Jack had an injury, I don't think his PPG is accurate (should be higher)

- In their 10-0 win over Buckingham Browne on the 13th, Captain Jack had 1G and 2A 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr53 said:

I'd say he's definitely one of the most intriguing prospects we have

It's been so difficult finding stats on this kid for the 2017/18 season, but I may have found something:

https://nzprephockey.com/team-stats/?1259/Dexter

This site shows all the stats, schedule, and boxscores for Dexter this year

Couple things:

- If it's true that Jack had an injury, I don't think his PPG is accurate (should be higher)

- In their 10-0 win over Buckingham Browne on the 13th, Captain Jack had 1G and 2A 

Great find! Glad we can finally check in on how he’s doing. It’s strange because I feel like I checked that site a while back and they didn’t have the 2017-18 stats up. But anyway, either I missed it or they put them up recently. Regardless, it’s nice to have them finally available.

You’re right that his points/game should be higher. I think the 10-1 game was his first game back from the injury. He had 1G 2A in his first 3 games, then got hurt, and now is back with 1G and 2A in his last game. So probably 2G 4A in 4GP and 1.5 points/game this season.

As an aside, I’m intrigued by Rathbone’s teammate Jack Nisbet. I believe he’s still uncommitted to a college. He was listed recently as one of the top uncommitted players in the nation. Currently has 13G 6A and seems to score a goal in every game Dexter plays this season. I believe the knock on him was his skating but otherwise the scouting reports say he has a pretty good skill set, good passing and vision, and seems to have a knack for scoring goals. Not sure if he’s good enough (so tough to gauge off numbers at this level) to warrant a late round pick as a draft re-entry (went undrafted in 2017, his first year of eligibility). Also, from his social media, he seems to be a big time Trumper, but I suppose I won’t hold that against him. ;) 

John Farinacci (2019 eligible) is also an interesting teammate. 25 points (10G 20A) so far and leading Dexter in scoring this season as a 16-year-old. Apparently, he narrowly missed making the USDP U17 team (which is a pretty stacked group).

On 12/12/2017 at 4:39 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

Excited to see what he can do at Harvard next year 

Me too. But I won't be too surprised if he struggles a bit at first. That's a huge jump to make from high school to the ncaa.

Pierre Maguire mentioned on Sekeres and Price today that Rathbone had a huge game with Dexter today or yesterday and that he was very high on him. I wasn't able to find any info on this game online. Anyone know anything about this? Obviously one of the more elusive prospects in recent years, another later round gem?

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

Pierre Maguire mentioned on Sekeres and Price today that Rathbone had a huge game with Dexter today or yesterday and that he was very high on him. I wasn't able to find any info on this game online. Anyone know anything about this? Obviously one of the more elusive prospects in recent years, another later round gem?

It looks like they played today (6-2 win over Thayer Academy)

Not sure about assists, but Captain Jack potted another goal!

Edited by GrizzlyAdams
  • Cheers 1