The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson vs Glass in 2017-2018

Derp...

I just think it's pretty cool that EP looks that good.  Last summer there were people pissed off that we didn't have Glass. Now it is debatable if we would trade him for Glass and a 43 goal scorer who is 25.  

Another question.

Would you rather have Nylander and Glass or EP and Virtanen?

11 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I just think it's pretty cool that EP looks that good.  Last summer there were people pissed off that we didn't have Glass. Now it is debatable if we would trade him for Glass and a 43 goal scorer who is 25.  

Another question.

Definitely would not take that trade. The sky is the limit right now for EP and he has the foundation to be an amazing player for us. Also JV has progressed quite nicely under Green. If he can have a good offseason and work on those hands of his, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

4 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

EP and Virtanen all day, every day.

What's the old saying? Whoever gets the best player in a trade wins the trade? Even though he hasn't played in the NHL, I honestly feel pretty confident in saying that EP is going to end up the best player of the four you mentioned by a relatively significant margin.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What's the old saying? Whoever gets the best player in a trade wins the trade? Even though he hasn't played in the NHL, I honestly feel pretty confident in saying that EP is going to end up the best player of the four you mentioned by a relatively significant margin.

6 months ago 98% of the people on this board would have taken Glass and Nylander and said we are set at centre for 10 years.  Now most of us wouldn't do the trade.  Pretty cool!

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

6 months ago 98% of the people on this board would have taken Glass and Nylander and said we are set at centre for 10 years.  Now most of us wouldn't do the trade.  Pretty cool!

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Another question.

Nope... not a chance in a million.

Wouldn't even take Nylander and Glass over EP alone.

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Another question.

What about?

nylander + tkachuk + vilardi 

or

virtanen + Juolevi + pettersson. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What about?

nylander + tkachuk + vilardi 

or

virtanen + Juolevi + pettersson. 

Good one.  I think I would stick with what we have. I think Petersson has a chance to be the best of the group.  I think Virtanen will rival Tkachuk long term and I think a number 2 defenseman is worth more than Vilardi but you have to think about it.

18 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Good one.  I think I would stick with what we have. I think Petersson has a chance to be the best of the group.  I think Virtanen will rival Tkachuk long term and I think a number 2 defenseman is worth more than Vilardi but you have to think about it.

I agree that Pettersson will be the best of the bunch, but Vilardi isn’t that far behind him, he’s easily the best player in the CHL this year and he’s still only 18 years old.  He will be a #1 center in the mold of a Kopitar/Getzlaff which is extremely valuable.

I think hoping that Jake can hit Tkachuk level might be reaching a bit.  I hope he could become a top 6 forwards but I’ll be satisfied if he can become a consistent 40 point player. 

If Juolevi can become a top 2 D he will be more valuable than a 60 point Nyalnder, but that’s a big if.   

It would be a difficult decision, Pettersson throws a wrench in as he has the ability to reach super star level.  I guess it really comes down to what level we think he reaches.  I mean who is his comparable?   Is it Patrick Kane? Panarin? Or is it closer to Rantanen who quietly put up 84 points in 81 games. 

20 hours ago, PlanB said:

Lol....OK "Bud".  

Funny how you leave out the fact that Cassels, in his final year scored 31pts in 21 gms while simultaneously shutting down the single most dominant scorer in the OHL in almost 20yrs - McJesus, while on his way to leading his team to the OHL Championship. However he did that in his draft+ year which is why nobody was overly impressed. 

Better players than the ones you mentioned above have put up better numbers and amounted to essentially nothing at the NHL level because nobody is fooled by players dominating in their draft + years - it just really doesn't matter if you rack up a bunch of points versus younger,  less experienced kids.

Like I said,  I'm giving them credit for decent seasons - but at this point they're in the same category as the Cassels,  Fox's, Vey's of the league who all dominated in their draft + years and went on to anonymity.    

The odd time there are late bloomers so to speak - MOST of the time an older, more experienced player is supposed to be better and it isn't impressive when that happens. 

I don't know why you think Cassels is the guy to compare with. He was never known as a top scorer and after a MAJOR injury he hasn't lived up to his expectations.

Maybe Gawdin could be compared as he is the only one with a similar skillset. Steenburgen is a shooting winger (think Eberle) and Heponiemi is a fast, playmaking winger (think Gaudreau).

I'm not saying Steenburgen or Heponiemi will have the same success as eberle or gaudreau, just that they play their style. 

For gawdin, in his 21 year old season he has 125 pts in 67 games, while cassels 21 year old season was post injury rehab and he had a bad season in the ahl with 7 points in 67 games. That simple fact alone shows Gawdin saw way more improvement in his 21 year old season than cassels.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Nope... not a chance in a million.

Wouldn't even take Nylander and Glass over EP alone.

Glass is a good prospect in his own right. Nylander avoids contact when the game gets tighter just like his dad. 

JV... well maybe we can Brent Burns him. Convert him to a d man. He has the skating and I would rather see him as a Right sided dman than RW if this is all there is. 

Jake has the physical tools and skating to be a defender. Don’t know if he has the tool box or. Stamina, but he could most definitely lay some hits and skate the puck out. 

If he is going to be a winger, please put him on the left side. That’s where he is most effective offensively and we have plenty of RW’s anyways. 

I wouldn’t trade EP for the lot of them. In a few years I hope EP only gets mentioned in trade talk in the following terms, ‘no! Nay! never! no more will I trade the wild rover, no never no more!  

Or McDavid for EP, answer, Edmonton would have to add. 

EmW

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Another question.

I would not trade NYlander and Glass for just EP. You can find players like Nylanders and like Glass Glass in every draft ,But EP will only come around once.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Glass is a good prospect in his own right. Nylander avoids contact when the game gets tighter just like his dad. 

JV... well maybe we can Brent Burns him. Convert him to a d man. He has the skating and I would rather see him as a Right sided dman than RW if this is all there is. 

Jake has the physical tools and skating to be a defender. Don’t know if he has the tool box or. Stamina, but he could most definitely lay some hits and skate the puck out. 

If he is going to be a winger, please put him on the left side. That’s where he is most effective offensively and we have plenty of RW’s anyways. 

I wouldn’t trade EP for the lot of them. In a few years I hope EP only gets mentioned in trade talk in the following terms, ‘no! Nay! never! no more will I trade the wild rover, no never no more!  

Or McDavid for EP, answer, Edmonton would have to add. 

EmW

Agree EmW... nobody knows, what the future brings, but the shear excitement brought by EP to the fan base in just one season is amazing.

We'll see what happens, but JB definitely looks to have found the diamond in the rough. 

Mind you, we deserve it, for all out rotten luck in the drafts... 

8 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Somewhere else on the Board I put it this way - assume you had that choice for a 2 on 2 tournament.   I can see Nylander trying to hide from Virtanen while Pettersson just kept the puck on a string and away from Glass.   That combination of speed, size, and elite playmaking that EP and Virtanen would bring (Jake more the former, EP the latter) would be very hard to combat and certainly not well with the two you have chosen.   If Nylander is another no show tonight in terms of physical engagement (he has been so blatantly shying away through five games), then what difference does it make if he can get some points in regular season?

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I agree that I would rather keep EP and Jake, and that EP is the best of that group. But I haven't heard that saying about whoever gets the best player wins the trade for quite a while. Probably not since the Lindros trade, where Philly got the best player (but just barely, because Forsberg turned out to be almost as valuable) but definitely lost the deal, grossly overpaying to get him.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I agree that I would rather keep EP and Jake, and that EP is the best of that group. But I haven't heard that saying about whoever gets the best player wins the trade for quite a while. Probably not since the Lindros trade, where Philly got the best player (but just barely, because Forsberg turned out to be almost as valuable) but definitely lost the deal, grossly overpaying to get him.

With the gift of hindsight at my disposal, I take Forsberg over Lindros every day of the week.

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree that Pettersson will be the best of the bunch, but Vilardi isn’t that far behind him, he’s easily the best player in the CHL this year and he’s still only 18 years old.  He will be a #1 center in the mold of a Kopitar/Getzlaff which is extremely valuable.

I think hoping that Jake can hit Tkachuk level might be reaching a bit.  I hope he could become a top 6 forwards but I’ll be satisfied if he can become a consistent 40 point player. 

If Juolevi can become a top 2 D he will be more valuable than a 60 point Nyalnder, but that’s a big if.   

It would be a difficult decision, Pettersson throws a wrench in as he has the ability to reach super star level.  I guess it really comes down to what level we think he reaches.  I mean who is his comparable?   Is it Patrick Kane? Panarin? Or is it closer to Rantanen who quietly put up 84 points in 81 games. 

If EP beginner a winger, Kane. Definitely not Rantanen. Their play style is very different i think.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:37 AM, Toews said:

Ideally we want him at a mid table club. If the team sucks, then you are looking at a relegation battle and coaches are tempted to play veterans. Same if it's a top of the table team. A mid table coach who has no pressure to play certain players is the ideal situation for a teenager adjusting to a significant jump in competition.

I liked him on this club...got to play lots, score lots, and win a championship. :D

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Really, I would say Pettersson's style is almost identical as Rantanen. Both has wicked wrist shots and one timers. Kane isn't known at all for his shot, just his dangling. .

I agree that EP and Rantanen both have good wrist shot and one timer but that's where the similarities end in my opinion.

Kane isn't known for his shot because other stuff that he does are world class. Kane has a pretty good wrist shot I think. Kane has 50 playoff goals in his career. But yeah, he doesn't have as good a slapper as EP.

EP has dangles. Kane has dangles. Rantanen doesn't really have dangles.

EP's on ice vision seems to be as good as Kane. Does Rantanen have that elite hockey vision? Not bad but meh.

I don't know. It seems like EP is more like Kane with slap shot rather than Rantanen.

Archived