The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire?

14 minutes ago, Russ said:

Its awful, saw that the other night and just thought through my mind how anyone can even drive through a road with fire on either side of them.  But everything burning I guess you have no choice but to just drive and hope for the best.

That's exactly it. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Its awful, saw that the other night and just thought through my mind how anyone can even drive through a road with fire on either side of them.  But everything burning I guess you have no choice but to just drive and hope for the best.

one thing I've not seen mentioned is that in some areas it has happened that air filters have clogged and vehicles stalled. If you live in a potential fire area it wouldn't hurt to have a spare one in your car and know how to change it. A charcoal filter respirator is also good to have.  

3 hours ago, Swedish elite3 said:

Winds have changed and are pretty gusty apparently... not good hope everyone gets to safety. Unfortunately kamloops is mostly full so they will be driving 6.5 hrs to PG thru hwy 24 to little fort and then thru valemount.

That's where everyone is being instructed to go. Once we all get evacuated too.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

horrible thing going on, however it is not "the rest of BC". 

How is it not? There's fires in the kootneys, in the okanagan, in the Thompson region, the canyon, the chilcoten, the cariboo, the bulkley valley, the peace, the north east corner....  it is a much more serious situation than what those living in not affected areas think it is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia

area of bc  925,186 km2 (357,216 sq mi                                     http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Statistics.asp 

New Lightning-Caused Fires 13 1 1 11 0 0 0
New Human-Caused Fires 6 0 0 2 1 1 2
Total Fires to Date
(current fiscal year)
560 53 33 175 90 61 148
Total Area Burned (Ha.)
(current fiscal year)
27,942 668 268 3,390 6,683 84 16,849

1 square mile equals 258.99 hectares so 108 square miles of fire versus 357,216 square miles of province

As I said horrible stuff, but not "the rest of BC" looks like this.

Not sure now is the time to be quibbling over semantics of what exactly this looks like.  Maybe a fair comparison for people living in the LML is picturing a 20 block segment of each city (Burnaby, Richmond, Vancouver etc) on fire all at the same time.  People living in the Interior are much more remote, with vast amounts of land in some cases between each home.  They don't have city services to rely on, and by the nature of where they live are usually much more independent than city dwellers.  I grew up and lived most of my life in various areas of the Interior.  In some cases they don't have insurance for something like this as they aren't in a fire protection area and insurance is cost prohibitive.  Yes, those are choices that people make, but it's still heartbreaking to see the impacts a disaster like this can have.  I hope and pray there is no loss of life for either the people being evacuated or the emergency responders assisting with evacuation and fire fighting.  Going to be a long summer.  

I also found the meme of Christy Clark and the fire not humourous but that's just me.  Not finding much funny in this situation, although the Keremeous Fire Dept sign did make me smile.  

Looking for ways to help out now.  Our company does Comfort Kits to donate, so spending my day helping put those together to be shipped up to evacuated folks.  Also donating to the Red Cross...every little bit helps.  

Just really want to say

If you're using this issue to take pot shots in an attempt to score political points.  If you're using this to somehow make the plight of rural BC or urban BC seem more of an issue or you're just trolling.

GTFO

This affects all of us, WE are BC, I've worked hand in hand with the BC forestry service shooting and filming fires for the last 3 years in the Okanagan and Similkameen areas.  We know what the issues are.  But sitting behind a screen taking jabs is childish and stupid.

Pony up a dollar for every stupid and divisive thing you say for fire relief and for the refugees affected by it.  By days end I promise you'll realize how little it helps anyone.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just really want to say

If you're using this issue to take pot shots in an attempt to score political points.  If you're using this to somehow make the plight of rural BC or urban BC seem more of an issue or you're just trolling.

GTFO

This affects all of us, WE are BC, I've worked hand in hand with the BC forestry service shooting and filming fires for the last 3 years in the Okanagan and Similkameen areas.  We know what the issues are.  But sitting behind a screen taking jabs is childish and stupid.

Pony up a dollar for every stupid and divisive thing you say for fire relief and for the refugees affected by it.  By days end I promise you'll realize how little it helps anyone.

local, provincial and federal help has been mobilized and funds set up. Volunteers are doing an amazing job, people are complying with the evacuations. Its going as well as this kind of thing possibly can, thats all that matters. 

Stay away from Young Lake please.  Been looking forward for this trip for quite some time so hopefully we get some rain in the mix sometime soon and that offers relief for all the fires around BC.

Jesus. This is horrible. Just terrifying. My heart goes out to those of you on here who are at risk of losing everything. I am so very sorry for your losses. I can't imagine. I hope you all are safe.

I can't believe that some of these fires are manmade. I mean, why the &^@# do people choose to chuck their cigarettes out the window of the car, or fail to deal with their campfires, or have campfires during a ban?

The fact that their absolute selfish behavior is directly resulting in this horrific disaster makes my blood boil. One can only hope that they are found out and charged to the fullest extent of the law.

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Jesus. This is horrible. Just terrifying. My heart goes out to those of you on here who are at risk of losing everything. I am so very sorry for your losses. I can't imagine. I hope you all are safe.

I can't believe that some of these fires are manmade. I mean, why the &^@# do people choose to chuck their cigarettes out the window of the car, or fail to deal with their campfires, or have campfires during a ban?

The fact that their absolute selfish behavior is directly resulting in this horrific disaster makes my blood boil. One can only hope that they are found out and charged to the fullest extent of the law.

it is hard to fathom. I've stopped trying to understand why people do things like this, some people are just wired stupid.

once everyone is safe and things calm down later this year it would be a good thing to get an assessment on what to do for the future. I've seen some posts suggesting that the province has under funded prevention efforts and I'd like to know if thats really the case. It wouldn't surprise me. 

12 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

it is hard to fathom. I've stopped trying to understand why people do things like this, some people are just wired stupid.

Same. Those oxygen thieves make me sick.

12 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

once everyone is safe and things calm down later this year it would be a good thing to get an assessment on what to do for the future. I've seen some posts suggesting that the province has under funded prevention efforts and I'd like to know if thats really the case. It wouldn't surprise me. 

Exactly. Hopefully stronger prevention plans are put in place that can help stave off the tragedies that seem to mount year after year.

Just to give you an idea of how big this is, I talked to my daughter in Prince George last night and they're already seeing "smog-like" conditions there. That's approximately 200 miles north of 100 mile House.

Good luck to all those affected.

Archived