The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser among other NHL'ers, College players, and Prospects to play in "Da Beauty League" in Minnesota this off-season (includes poll)

Please read the article before voting.   

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most hockey players have taken a bit of a break from the sport now that the summer is here as the offseason is the perfect time to indulge in hobbies outside of the sport.

Or get married.

At any rate, as much as the summer is about enjoying the time away from the rink, players don't stay away for long.

In fact, a lot of NHL players will be playing against each other in Da Beauty League together when action gets underway next Wednesday.

A ton of NHL talent is featured on every roster and a lot of players from Minnesota play in Da Beauty League each and every year (league established in 2015).

Speaking of the rosters, it's cool how they were constructed.  For example, the van Riemsdyk brothers are on the same team.

Another cool thing about Da Beauty League is that it doesn't only feature NHL players.

No, the rosters also have a some college players, prospects and AHL talent on them which makes the league even better.

So, which roster do you think will win it all?  Let us know by tweeting us @BarDown and if you're in Minnesota, go check out a game or two.  You won't be disappointed.

Source: http://www.bardown.com/da-beauty-league-announces-team-rosters-that-feature-a-couple-of-leafs-and-a-ton-of-nhl-talent-1.800278

Although the Bar Down article this information is based from probably belongs in Around the NHL rather than Canucks Talk, I thought perhaps we could discuss more the Brock Boeser aspect of this rather than the league itself (although you are free to discuss that as well).

How do you feel about Brock Boeser playing in this league in the offseason? Do you feel it is a good way to train and stay in shape amongst top talent, or are you concerned about the risk of injury and the impact that would have on the Canucks?

Personally I feel this is a great way to help Brock continue his development against skilled opponents and I would much rather see him participating in organized hockey in the offseason to hone his skills than taking the summer off to simply train in a gym. 

What are your thoughts?

Glad he's on Byfuglien's team!

Honestly though, jumping straight from a prospect camp to an NHL training camp must really force you to shift gears in a hurry. It'll be good to get him used to the NHL size and pace before Canucks camp kicks off. 

I've never seen one of the games myself but was always under the impression that they are more fun/goofy and not taken too seriously (like the All Star game). If that's the case then I'm not worried about injury risk. Seems like a good chance for a young guy to have fun and goof off with friends. There are much worse ways he could spend summer (extreme sports, partying, legal trouble, etc.).

24 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Although the Bar Down article this information is based from probably belongs in Around the NHL rather than Canucks Talk, I thought perhaps we could discuss more the Brock Boeser aspect of this rather than the league itself (although you are free to discuss that as well).

How do you feel about Brock Boeser playing in this league in the offseason? Do you feel it is a good way to train and stay in shape amongst top talent, or are you concerned about the risk of injury and the impact that would have on the Canucks?

Personally I feel this is a great way to help Brock continue his development against skilled opponents and I would much rather see him participating in organized hockey in the offseason to hone his skills than taking the summer off to simply train in a gym. 

What are your thoughts?

Better to be playing with Byfuglien than against him  :lol:

Just now, Cramarossa said:

I've never seen one of the games myself but was always under the impression that they are more fun/goofy and not taken too seriously (like the All Star game). If that's the case then I'm not worried about injury risk. Seems like a good chance for a young guy to have fun and goof off with friends. There are much worse ways he could spend summer (extreme sports, partying, legal trouble, etc.).

Think of "beer league but with players who get it".   Pace is fast but pretty close to non-hitting and a lot of laughs.   Used for conditioning more than anything.    Not taken too seriously though when down to the "finals", these are competitive dudes so it amps up a bit (just like beer leagues).   Overall, a lot less boring than dryland training.

Hey, may he can get to know he new teammate JVR if you believe the crap rumours!

I don't think it's an issue for Brock to be playing.  It's the rigors of the NHL season that beat people down, this will be a fun way to stay focused and keep the muscle memory up.  I'm all for it.  I think the physical break in between seasons is more important for the "old guys" or those recovering from injury.  I hope to see some of these games.

27 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Only 1 person afraid of in injury?.. not me btw, just kind of shocked by the results so far considering how good Brock is

Less likely to be injured doing this than out skydiving or playing golf with snakes or whatever it is Sami Salo used to do in off season.   You can injured doing most anything - lesser chance doing something he is doing as a professional in a lower intensity environment wouldn't you think?   Is there a chance - sure - he could also slip in the shower but bet he doesn't give those up now that he is "good" at hockey.    

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Less likely to be injured doing this than out skydiving or playing golf with snakes or whatever it is Sami Salo used to do in off season.   You can injured doing most anything - lesser chance doing something he is doing as a professional in a lower intensity environment wouldn't you think?   Is there a chance - sure - he could also slip in the shower but bet he doesn't give those up now that he is "good" at hockey.    

100% agree. Just kind of shocked only 1 person is nervous about an injury. It's like CDC is normal for once lol

13 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

100% agree. Just kind of shocked only 1 person is nervous about an injury. It's like CDC is normal for once lol

Just throw a peg leg on him at the beginning of the season. He'll be fine!

The only thing I was worried about was his wrist. Thought the offseason would do it good, but its clearly feeling much better. Would have to think he is near 100% for him to fully take part in the development camp and now this tournament.... Good news!

I like the fact that he is learning from older players that have won Stanley Cups!  Hopefully he gets the chance to ask them what it takes to win at the highest level.  

Also gives him a chance to learn a few veteran secrets/techniques from some of the best in the business!!

Plus his team looks pretty stacked so hopefully they can win it all!!!

Archived