The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Benning loyalists 2014:  If you bottom out you'll end up like Edmonton and suck forever, trading for NHL ready talent will keep us competitive and not ruin our prospects.

Benning loyalists 2018:  Good think we bottomed out and got those top picks.  Of course we're not competitive yet, some people have no patience.  

Please post some examples from 2014 and 2018 that show this.   I have not noticed anything of the sort.   ANYONE who didn't see a rough ride coming after the peak was far too optimistic but not having been part of the board in 2014 I am not sure what you are talking about so are you just portraying your own narrative for some form of message (that I still don't understand no matter how many time you use the term "loyalist"...what does that mean, they walk his dog and pick up his laundry?) that aligns, again, with you constantly wanting Benning fired?

Your GM is not perfect but he has moved himself easily into the top half in the NHL over the past couple of years simply by how he took an empty cupboard and bumped it from about 30th in NHL to about 5 to 8.   He also transformed how his team plays and brought a style that is in tune with the new NHL in terms of speed and forecheck.   No, he doesn't have all the pieces yet but sure looks like they are coming.    Does that make someone a "loyalist" for that?   Do I need to fly to Vancouver to get laundry?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

I do think this is a bottom 10 team next year.

Though it really depends on what happens in the off-season but any key injuries and we're in the gutter again.

It'll be another development year. Can't expect to skyrocket with our key young guys just making the jump.

4 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Benning loyalists 2014:  If you bottom out you'll end up like Edmonton and suck forever, trading for NHL ready talent will keep us competitive and not ruin our prospects.

Benning loyalists 2018:  Good think we bottomed out and got those top picks.  Of course we're not competitive yet, some people have no patience.  

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Canadian Rugby 2017 - the Canucks have no future top 6 forwards!  The Leafs are the next Blackhawks!   Gotta have/win lottery pickz to build a team #properly.

Canadian Rugby 2018 - still can't engage in hockey talk - in favour of tell-all, one-liner narratives between two, oversimplified, imaginary nominal camps.

Er, Boeser at 23 sure showed those 'Loyalists" the failure in not #properlyrebuliding! 

The Canucks have no future top 6 forwards. 

The rebuild doesn't begin until the teardown and tank are activated! 

Er, no lottery wins....the Canucks are still another half decade from having rebuilt!  When will the rebuild begin?

Er, Leipsic isn't a pick - and just more part of the failure -  of the improper method!  The rething won't start until we tank and stockplie the pickz!

Got any hockey talk Rugby?  It sure beats this loaded narrative nonsense.

55 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Please post some examples from 2014 and 2018 that show this.   I have not noticed anything of the sort.   ANYONE who didn't see a rough ride coming after the peak was far too optimistic but not having been part of the board in 2014 I am not sure what you are talking about so are you just portraying your own narrative for some form of message (that I still don't understand no matter how many time you use the term "loyalist"...what does that mean, they walk his dog and pick up his laundry?) that aligns, again, with you constantly wanting Benning fired?

Your GM is not perfect but he has moved himself easily into the top half in the NHL over the past couple of years simply by how he took an empty cupboard and bumped it from about 30th in NHL to about 5 to 8.   He also transformed how his team plays and brought a style that is in tune with the new NHL in terms of speed and forecheck.   No, he doesn't have all the pieces yet but sure looks like they are coming.    Does that make someone a "loyalist" for that?   Do I need to fly to Vancouver to get laundry?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What on earth does that have to do with cdc?   That seems to be some quotes from Canucks.....I would assume that they (Canucks) would be loyal to themselves.   Were you expecting them to have quotes like this from the GM "this team is a disaster and the GM is clueless" or similar?   That seems to be what some expect I guess.   Still not sure what you are on about to be honest - what is a "loyalist" and how is that related to the current state of the team?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What on earth does that have to do with cdc?   That seems to be some quotes from Canucks.....I would assume that they (Canucks) would be loyal to themselves.   Were you expecting them to have quotes like this from the GM "this team is a disaster and the GM is clueless" or similar?   That seems to be what some expect I guess.   Still not sure what you are on about to be honest - what is a "loyalist" and how is that related to the current state of the team?

A loyalist is faithful to and committed to the British Colonies, therefore against the Rebel Forces arming themselves and calling it a revolution against the Empire (the British one).  

The Red Coats are coming!  Prepare for battle, hide your kids, hide your mistress!  

Sounds about as stupid as the tweets your post is referring to right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A loyalist is faithful to and committed to the British Colonies, therefore against the Rebel Forces arming themselves and calling it a revolution against the Empire (the British one).  

The Red Coats are coming!  Prepare for battle, hide your kids, hide your mistress!  

Sounds about as stupid as the tweets your post is referring to right?

The tweets are more stupid to be honest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

It's seems obvious to me this LindenningQuotes is a complete moron.

Not sure he's a moron, I think he's just trying to point out how many times Linden/Benning have contradicted themselves or said they were going to do something and didn't. The post about the "Depth" really shows that as its 3 years in row they say at the beginning of the season that we need depth and they are going to work on it just to use Depth and the lack there of at the end of the season as a reason as to why the team floundered. In terms of the Lucic and Subban trades I don't so much see the point, I get that the Lucic trade would of been detrimental to this rebuild as he is now a Pylon, but in terms of Subban if we had him instead of Juolevi coming up I wouldn't be too upset.

Edited by Spitfire_Spiky
spelling

11 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

The league can change a lot on 4-5 seasons.  I think we are well on our way.  Have those quotes been verified? Its been so long since back then lol.

I think we have a lot of the pieces we need. If we had of not gotten screwed in the draft lottery so many times we might be a far deeper team. 

Let's replace Juolevi with Laine and imagine where we are at. I believe we would be a borderline playoff team. High offense weak defense perhaps. 

Maybe we wouldn't of traded for Gudbranson if we went the high speed and skill route.  But then again. We might not have green here as our coach. I am happy where we are at. 

Our future is bright and full of only potential.  Even if their initial projections were off it's ok. Benning also didn't know about the amount of injuries we suffer. He probably thought it was just poor medical staff. So he opts to replace that and it continues.

Having Seattle in our division will help the team greatly having less travel to a team like Arizona would be huge. Sign me up.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Context: "We just don't have the depth when our best players get injured". He ignored that bold part completely. They have added some depth on the farm. But there isn't the quality of depth on the team, or the farm, when the injuries are to key personnel for extended periods. Consider this: if a contender lost all three of their top line players, their entire shutdown line, and their top two d-men for extended periods of time would it affect their position in the standings?  Look no further than the effect it had on the Ducks to start the season when Getzlaf and a couple of others were out for an extended period. A contender that dropped to the bottom of the league and had to battle their way back to a playoff position. Now apply that to a rebuilding team. It's just too much to overcome to put it simply. So yes, I'd call him a moron.

Completely agree that its impossible to overcome missing that many players to injury and that regardless of the team depth you will struggle with you're superstars injured. I'm a big supporter of JB/TL and aside from some bad signings I like what they've done with the team. For all all intents and purposes they have built up some good depth within the system.  For the first time in a long time we have a solid group of young players coming up the ranks and hopefully the can all progress well next year and hopefully push this team out of its rebuild phase and into a team that can compete. I still see us being 2-3 years from a contender but if all goes well we should be able to push for a wildcard spot next year. 

12 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Is it fair to say the Canuck's management, and ownership, changed course over the last few seasons, as indicated at the 2017 and 2018 TDLs?  Maybe management, being new, made a few mistakes, but now they are on course with a youth movement and proper rebuild; it's just taken a bit longer than some fans wanted to get turned in that direction.

Our prospect pool is great.  We will have a really good team, when the rebuild is complete.

12 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

LOL, all subscribed and tapped right into any trolling clueless drama queen you can find.  And now that the rebuild is showing solid fruits after only 4 years you just cannot STAND it and desperately try to spin some new narrative, eh Botch.

Go off then, and watch your decade-plus #properrebuild Leafs get bounced in the first round.

• Haha 3

On 4/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, TimberWolf said:

Hilarious how we're trying to justify this management debacle as a clever stealthy rebuild.

They tried for three years to get into the playoffs and failed spectacularly. That's all that happened.

For those that literally and admittedly had no clue what was going on, and even now are still in denial.  I'd say the blindness is more sad than hilarious.

The only "stealth" part was the massive number of injuries to key players the past three years that dropped the team below where it should have finished if healthy, getting us better picks in the process.  The rebuild went from a team of declined veterans with NTCs and no prospects to a top-10 stockpile of quality young players now ready to come into a team with prime-aged veteran presence to make the transition.  In just a mere four years

Predicted exactly this quite a while ago -- after years of despair and confusion, some will wake up to a young competitive team and wonder "what happened?!"  The excuses should be amusing, probably something in the order of "got lucky" or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it fair to say the Canuck's management, and ownership, changed course over the last few seasons, as indicated at the 2017 and 2018 TDLs?  Maybe management, being new, made a few mistakes, but now they are on course with a youth movement and proper rebuild; it's just taken a bit longer than some fans wanted to get turned in that direction.

Our prospect pool is great.  We will have a really good team, when the rebuild is complete.

Alf, they've been doing the same thing all along. Adding some young players and veterans to fill holes every year. They traded for prospects contenders had no room for in their first year (Vey) and did it again at the start of this year (Pouliot). They've tried to move pending ufa's every year they were out of the playoff race. Vrbata, Hamhuis, and Miller tied their hands with their NTC's and didn't get moved. Burrows and Hansen didn't tie their hands and Vanek didn't have one.

They said from the get go they wanted to try and compete for a playoff spot while "transitioning to a younger team" (rebuilding). Signing guys like Miller, Vrbata, Vanek etc were stay competitve moves. Even signing Gagner and Del Zotto last summer were to help stay competitive this year. Trading for Vey, Etem, Baertschi, Granlund, and Pouliot (young prospects) were rebuilding moves. What they couldn't do was control the sheer number and length of key injuries that have put extreme limitations on our ability to compete with little to call up. If you ask me they've stayed the course of what they said from the beginning. The only difference at all is their success at moving players at the deadline these past two years. Which, with ntc's involved, they don't have complete control over. Just as last year they failed to move Miller because he'd only go to a Cali team. Unfortunately the Cali teams were willing to go into the playoffs with the goalies they had. When it comes to ntc's you can only hope the players cooperate. Three didn't, two did.

• Cheers 1