The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Defense will be the problem this year

*Buzzsaw*

More questions about goal tending due to their inexperience.  Having said that, I think they'll do fine.  Between the 2 of them 0.910-0.915 (league average)

I think the defense is the strongest part of the team at this point.  Sure there are some young guys and they need to take a step forward.  Hutton firstly.  Stecher needs a good follow up.  Guddy needs to settle out and show us the player he can be.  And veterans Edler, Tanev and Del Zotto should settle things.  

The forward group is a bigger concern for me.  The Sedins are a big question mark.  I'm also wondering about some of the players that Benning has brought in like Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov.  I think Gagner is going to be the next Sutter which means that he won't be a liability but he won't be a shining light either.  Vanek and Burmistrov, I just don't know.  So that leaves 5 of them who are questionable.  The younger guys like Virtanen and Boeser will do fine but the expectations for them aren't high for me.

Over all, I think the Canucks have better depth and there won't be such a fall off as in prior years if there are injuries

What's that? A team who finished second to last the previous season, lost a 6'9" defenceman, has it's former stars another year older and has turnover with new, younger players might have trouble with team defence? Thanks for the update, Buzzkill.

MmEz_f-maxage-0.gif

OP whiffed on a fundamental aspect of "team defense" - it's played by the entire team, not just the blueline, nor the goaltender.

To attempt to address team defense without looking at the crucial role the forwards play is seriously flawed.

The OP also doesn't seem to be too informed regarding Del Zotto's role as his career has evolved - and regardless, the team has three of their four top 4 leaning toward the shutdown side of the game, and Del Zotto himself has become a hybrid who has played lots of hard minutes, particularly last season.

So, have to consider this a buzzsaw thread - which fails to look at the larger picture.

Sutter, Granlund, Horvat, Eriksson, in particular - and the rest of the forward group will play very important roles in "team defense."

And Green's systems, his deployment, what he expects and gets out of his group will also play a critical role.

If anything, I think it would be far more realistic to predict that scoring will be the team's biggest weakness, where "team defense" is likely a relative strength of this group.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 10:36 AM, Canada Hockey Place said:

Going to be interesting without Burrows and Hansen this season too. 2 of the best PK FWs we've ever had. 

I think you can put Sutter in a group of the Canucks best pkFs ever.

Even without Edler and Stecher - in addition to losses of Tryamkin - and Sbisa - (something that concerned the OP) - the group is holding it together very well - including Pouliot - and Del Zotto has played huge minutes.

On 11/06/2017 at 8:09 PM, oldnews said:

I think you can put Sutter in a group of the Canucks best pkFs ever.

Even without Edler and Stecher - in addition to losses of Tryamkin - and Sbisa - (something that concerned the OP) - the group is holding it together very well - including Pouliot - and Del Zotto has played huge minutes.

Last night Hutton was the top minutes man.

It seems like the coaches are taking turns with guys carrying the load.

Thus far this year's team is far better at adjustments as the season rolls along.

Archived