The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks recall Patrick Wiercioch

Adarsh Sant

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled defenceman Patrick Wiercioch from the Utica Comets.

Wiercioch, 27, has registered a goal in two games with the Comets this season. In 2016.17, he appeared in 57 games for Colorado, registering 12 points (4-8-12). His four goals ranked third among Avalanche defencemen while his 12 points ranked fifth. Prior to joining Colorado in 2016, the 6-5, 202-pound defenceman spent five seasons with the Ottawa Senators. In 268 career NHL games over parts of six seasons, Wiercioch has registered 74 points (16-58-74).

The Burnaby, British Columbia, native was selected in the second round, 42nd overall, at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The #7 guy I guess? I heard Biega was subbing in.

I presume he thought "kid" was odd since Wiercioch is 27 years old.

Never played a full season yet in the NHL, in my mind still a bit of a prospect status, certainly not going to call him a vet just yet. I hope he sticks and proves himself  and finishes his season.with us. Semantics police.

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Good. Love this kids size. He stood out for me in pre-season. Nice wing span, covers a ton of space.  

Not to bad an outlet pass he had in camp. Will he play tonight?

3rd

13 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

pat w wil help our d woes  hutton should be sitting or traded 

Very happy to see Wiercioch called up. He did well in preseason (as @Hairy Kneel says) and he was very enthusiastic about being on the Canucks (his hometown team). He did not "deserve" to be sent down. I understand why he was sent down once the Canucks acquired Pouliot, but I think Weircioch deserves a shot on the big team. And his size and reach are very valuable, especially on the PK. He also has some offensive upside.

Hutton has struggled at times this season and I think it would not hurt if he sat for a game or two. It is not obvious that Hutton is better than Wiercioch right now. Similarly, Pouliot has been okay but, once again, it is not like he is obviously ahead of Wiercioch. He also has a good shot from the point, which the Canucks could use right now.

The "book" on Wiercioch is that he is "inconsistent", but his underlying analytics are generally good. (See https://milehighsticking.com/2016/07/23/colorado-avalanche-patrick-wiercioch-might-be-a-steal/).

So I am enthusiastic to see him get a shot. And, with TG as coach, I think he will. Not like when the Canucks would call up Pedan and WD would never give him a chance to play.

4 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Why bring him up for a single game? Won't he have to re-clear waivers to go back down to Utica? 

I think he has to play a certain amount of games or stay up for 30 days to go back on waivers.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I wouldn't mind sitting a Sedin and adding Biega on the 4th line.

I wouldn't mind sitting a Hairy Kneel and adding a door Shaven Kneel in this thread :P

You're gonna regret the day you insulted a Sedin... it's gonna look real silly when they lead us to a cup this year! 

CUP OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived