The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

6 is still pretty significant. Gudbranson has only averaged 2 fights a season over the last 4 years. He's tough, no one is arguing that. But I feel like there's a group of posters on here that think he's the incredible hulk or something. Kevin Bieksa was a much better fighter IMO and that didn't exactly stop anyone from pushing around the Sedins. 

The league is changing. There's less and less focus on physical play. The Sedins (our most pushed around players are playing less) and our team is getting physically stronger with age, not to mention smar

6 is still pretty significant. Gudbranson has only averaged 2 fights a season over the last 4 years. He's tough, no one is arguing that. But I feel like there's a group of posters on here that think he's the incredible hulk or something. Kevin Bieksa was a much better fighter IMO and that didn't exactly stop anyone from pushing around the Sedins. 

The league is changing. There's less and less focus on physical play. The Sedins (our most pushed around players are playing less) and our team is getting physically stronger with age, not to mention smarter. This to me has more of an affect than Gudbranson. 

Click and drag to move
except against Ferland lol. the kid just smiled at him after getting hit.

ter. This to me has more of an affect than Gudbranson. 

except against Ferland lol. the kid just smiled at him after getting hit.

read an article mtl might be considering a rebuild or retool due to terrible start.  patches might get moved.  id love to see them swap some core parts out. trading subban was their downfall.  weber is amazing but subban screamed white red and blue.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Size isn't everything. We saw what Rypien could do. Look at Guddy when he fought someone his own size last year in Matt Martin. Nothing about that fight screamed "deterrent". Lucic would tune Gudbranson up.

Dalton Prout knocked Lucic to his knees. Ask Prout how he fared against Gudbranson.

I really don't care if Lucic is tougher or not but this Canucks team needs a Gudbranson or someone similar to him. I would actually prefer a tougher forward that could fight (like a Lucic) as d-men are too valuable to be off serving majors and misconducts.

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Size isn't everything. We saw what Rypien could do. Look at Guddy when he fought someone his own size last year in Matt Martin. Nothing about that fight screamed "deterrent". Lucic would tune Gudbranson up.

Except Prout tuned Lucic and Guddy tuned Prout, I think your personal bias against Gudbranson is getting in the way. 

Bieksa is a great fighter in his weight class, he doesn't have it in him to do any damage to any heavyweights especially at his age now. 

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i would agree with that except players still take advantage of our guy's when hes not on the ice. he needs to make his presence known through hits or scrums after the whisle if he wants to keep them honest. 

to many players this season have already taken to many liberties against our guys. dorsett is good for energy buf he wont scare any heavyweights.

guddy needs to be much more to have that impact. if he lets teammates get walked on it will continue.  fighting is everything i agree.

I usually see him make at least one solid hit a game and make his presence known clearing the crease, in scrums etc.

He can't do it all alone though and certainly not when he's on the bench. He also needs to stay on the right side of the edge so as to not cost the team with penalties.

As the rebuild continues, I hope to see him supplemented (ie: not replaced) with a maturing Virtanen, perhaps Kane this summer, Gadjovich and hopefully the eventual return of Tryamkin. That element sprinkled throughout the lineup and supplemented by guys like Horvat and more skilled 'pests' like Lind, Gaudette, Lockwood and even Dahlen to some extent, should make us a FAR harder team to play against.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I usually see him make at least one solid hit a game and make his presence known clearing the crease, in scrums etc.

He can't do it all alone though and certainly not when he's on the bench. He also needs to stay in the right side of the edge so as to not cost the team with penalties.

As the rebuild continues, I hope to see him supplemented (ie: not replaced) with a maturing Virtanen, perhaps Kane this summer, Gadjovich and hopefully the eventual return of Tryamkin. That element sprinkled throughout the lineup and supplemented by guys like Horvat and more skilled 'pests' like Lind, Gaudette, Lockwood and even Dahlen to some extent, should make us a FAR harder team to play against.

supplementing help i agree.  im use to scott stevens doing all the work tho.  but by committee is the way to go to go for sure.

i watched scott stevens as like a pre teen tho so my memory may be limited.  i think with today's game having speedy defenders is key.   i think the age of big hulking d men with the exception of tryamkin are likely over. 

tryamkin works because his reach is insane he is literally a giant. i can understand and respect a need for someone like guddy and i dont think its fair he is expected to do so much but we need him to do more then he has. i want to see him getting in peoples faces if they take a chance.  make them feel i mean feel his presence.  1 on 1 not i know hes a big dude.  make them realize u do that again your going to get a hurt real bad.  

7 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Im surprised so many people on here love Guddy so much, he has terrible possession numbers

if we keep him and bring him back next year ill try and support him. im just not satisfied with what he brings.  he needs to set a tone and make an example out of some guys.  

the team will pk hard for him if he drops the mitts or gets a penalty for standing up for a teammate. i know i sure as heck would.  that brings the team together and sets an example we wont take that lying down.  i think green wants jake more physical to help set that tone and to create more opportunities for the puck to pop out for the twins.  green isnt going to ask a 21 yr old kid to drop the mitts with a 30 year old man. but he can have an impact physically and contribute to what dorsett and guddy can add.  if jake does it more i think guddy will likely do more too.  the more you see teammates engage in those activities the more you are willing too. then it becomes part of the teams identity and can remain tough and stand up for one another when a player like guddy or dorsett fall to injury.  pack mentality baby. jake needs to be a leader physically and the whole team will benefit.

33 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

read an article mtl might be considering a rebuild or retool due to terrible start.  patches might get moved.  id love to see them swap some core parts out. trading subban was their downfall.  weber is amazing but subban screamed white red and blue.

Anaheim is a perfect place for Max Pac actuslly.

Kesler and Patches have played well before internationally if I recall.

Ritchie and...a 1st?  2nd?

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sedins and Errikson looked great as a Unit in International play too.  B)

Although I do agree with you.  The Habs are horrible, and should rebuild.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The pressure is definitely on Anaheim to make a move. Even after they get healthy, they'll still be behind Nashville and STL.

52 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would actually prefer a tougher forward that could fight (like a Lucic) as d-men are too valuable to be off serving majors and misconducts.

Totally. It doesn't make sense for us to pay $5M for a physical presence when his game is lacking in so many other areas. Spend the money on a defender that checks more than 1 box and drop a fraction of that on a 12th forward to be that presence. 

If we are going to trade Gudbranson to Toronto, I'd be happy with Liljegren and a 2nd or Kapanen and a 1st.

We will miss his toughness indeed, but cannot be disappointed in those returns for a rebuilding team. It's about what we dealt for him, so that has to be where Benning sees his value. Also, hopefully Tryamkin will want to return around the time our rebuild is complete and he will be that tough dman that can skate and also produce offensively.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

And? We gave up McCann and a ....33?? I just don't see how his value has dropped since coming here. I thought he has been a rock for us on the back end and would be disappointed in us losing our only tough dman, sbisa going in the draft was okay with me cuz we still had guddy for physical play. I want another young proven guy in return if guddy goes 

What are you talking about? McCann was picked 24th overall and Liljegren was picked 17th overall. Even if Gudbranson was an RFA like he was when we traded for him, which he isn't, trading him for Liljegren would not be his value dropping. A 1st, 24th overall, and a 2nd, 33rd overall, for Gudbranson is near the the same value for a first, 17th overall. Then you know Liljegren was scouted to be taken in the top 10 even top 5 by some so trading Gudbranson for him would be a pretty great trade for us. 

The fact Gudbranson is UFA means that The Leafs trading Liljegren for him is pretty stupid but hey if they want to do that it's pretty awesome for us and definitely great value.

Polak gets two seconds but Gudbranson is barely worth one.  It's like those who say we'd be lucky to get rid of Sutter and Edler for absolutely nothing because they are completely worthless.  Don't know where this irrational mindset comes from, but I'd say a lot of blame lies at the feet of the pencil-necks at a certain website that thinks they're an army... oh, and Botchford of course.  Hard to understand how alleged Canuck fans can get so played by Leaf-lovers like him.

Archived