The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

A team is more than the sum of its parts and Gudbranson still brings a lot of what we need right now.  Leadership, physicality, pride and defense-first mentality... all things we need - and need now - if we want this new group to shape into a serious contender.

We don’t have the luxury of waiting 3-5 years down the line.  Bo, Brock, Jake and Goldy are all here today.  Gaudette. Pettersson, Juolevi and Dahlen will all be here tomorrow.  We can’t be icing a clunker going in to 2018/19.  

We saw what this team looks like when healthy to start the year - Guddy was part of that.  If we’re going to move anyone we have several redundant pieces in MDZ/Hutton/Stecher/Pouliot or an older one in Edler.  

27 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Funny, I checked these exact same sources a fews days ago while I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm gonna save all you people some time with those three links: none contain direct quotes or material from the people themselves. 

The score's article is a laughable attempt at journalism with so-called journalist Josh Gold-Smith writing a full five sentences on what he personally thought Mitchell's tweet meant. I was genuinely surprised to see you have the audacity to mislead posters with that one.

Friedman's articles are entirely based on hearsay. No. Solid. Evidence. Not one shred. 

images.jpg.df428cc2fd3cd6b68feb4255505c1fb1.jpg

27 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

A team is more than the sum of its parts and Gudbranson still brings a lot of what we need right now.  Leadership, physicality, pride and defense-first mentality... all things we need - and need now - if we want this new group to shape into a serious contender.

We don’t have the luxury of waiting 3-5 years down the line.  Bo, Brock, Jake and Goldy are all here today.  Gaudette. Pettersson, Juolevi and Dahlen will all be here tomorrow.  We can’t be icing a clunker going in to 2018/19.  

We saw what this team looks like when healthy to start the year - Guddy was part of that.  If we’re going to move anyone we have several redundant pieces in MDZ/Hutton/Stecher/Pouliot or an older one in Edler.  

Pouliot is redundant?! How so? Probably our most gifted d man offensively and only 23 years old.

6 minutes ago, ohmy said:

images.jpg.df428cc2fd3cd6b68feb4255505c1fb1.jpg

It’s gotten to the point where asking posters to back up their claims is too much to ask. 

Oldnews fed you a whole lotta straw and you chewed it up. Not my problem. 

I repeat, not one ounce of solid evidence in those 3 articles. The delusion is strong. 

12 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Pouliot is redundant?! How so? Probably our most gifted d man offensively and only 23 years old.

I love the trade by JB and he’d be the last one I’d want to move (besides maybe Stecher) as I like his high draft pedigree and ability to play both sides but he also has 11 points in 33 games this year.  That works out to 27 points over 82 if my math is correct.  They’re all in that middling offensive range.

MDZ has 12 in 36 which is also 27 over a full 82.

Stecher has been in a rut but averaged 28 last year. 

Hutton averaged 25 over his first two years but is also stalled this year.

So... redundant, at least in that regard. All could be considered relatively decent at moving the puck but none are spectacular. 3 of them are young.

Hutton has decent size at 6’2 210 and has a great team attitude...  MDZ is a scrappy vet who is wearing an A.  Stecher I think has a lot of lead-by-example seriousness to his game.  Pouliot looks like he has more offensive flair to his game and that high draft pedigree but is benefitting from being a nice pick up and the shininess that comes with being a new acquisition.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I love the trade by JB and he’d be the last one I’d want to move (besides maybe Stecher) as I like his high draft pedigree and ability to play both sides but he also has 11 points in 33 games this year.  That works out to 27 points over 82 if my math is correct.  They’re all in that middling offensive range.

So... redundant, at least in that regard. All could be considered relatively decent at moving the puck but none are spectacular. 3 of them are young.

Hutton has decent size at 6’2 210 and has a great team attitude...  MDZ is a scrappy vet who is wearing an A.  Stecher I think has a lot of lead-by-example seriousness to his game.  Pouliot looks like he has more offensive flair to his game and that high draft pedigree but is benefitting from being a nice pick up and the shininess that comes with being a new acquisition.

Pouliot is a gift from the hockey trade gods. He is still a work in progress but oozes upside. May go down as one of the best trades ever for the Canucks. Still a ways from that but its a possibility.

53 minutes ago, Solinar said:

I agree, but I can't see them need anything we'd be willing to give up besides Gudbranson, who on that blue line really only replaces Polak.  Spit balling pieces, but we don't really have in excess much of what would be an upgrade for Toronto.  I'd rather target Ottawa whilst they seem to be in some kind of internal disarray, Montreal and steal a prospect whilst Bergevin has to get the team into the playoffs somehow, or Edmonton, who's in the same boat.  Carolina needs upgrades at forward while having depth on defense, Buffalo....nothings going to help Buffalo, they're worse than we are.   Arizona isn't going to make any gambling moves after the start they had.  

In my mind, I'd be working on an Edler to Ottawa move.  Ottawa is scouting us... so it enters the realm of actually something we could start working the phone on.  Plus, I hate Toronto, but respect them in the fact that they're not going to make a stupid move to make a move.

Yes.  I agree - what makes more sense than moving Gudbranson to Toronto would be an Edler to Ottawa, or Edler to Tampa Bay deal - or a deal involving Hutton.  Edler as a retool/transition move, or Hutton as a 4LHD here (and potentially 5,6 in due course) that may have more value elsewhere than here....the left side of the blueline has quite a bit more depth organizationally (and that is a general reality in the NHL - the RHD tend to be rarer and harder to acquire assets).  Let Toronto shop elsewhere to fill their remaining needs.

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It’s gotten to the point where asking posters to back up their claims is too much to ask. 

Oldnews fed you a whole lotta straw and you chewed it up. Not my problem. 

I repeat, not one ounce of solid evidence in those 3 articles. The delusion is strong. 

Yes, it's possible that MItchell was responding from a different perspective - as a former Canuck and B.C.er - he could have been wondering "WTF" are the Canucks doing?    That's my team, my home team - why would they make this move?   Gudbranson suckzzz!  

48 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m sure management has a specific dollar value they’d spend on a player of Gudbransons qualities. He’s a UFA at the end of the year and if management feels he’s gonna ask more than they want to spend I’d hope he’s moved for something than lost for nothing. There are a lot of physical players the Canucks can sign in free agency during the summer.

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Imo pouliots game is the one that fits the current style of the nhl the best. As far as skating ability, puck moving/ passing, transition goes I'd say he's better than all of the players you mentioned. Hutton looks to be regressing and stetcher hasn't found his offensive game at all so far this season. MDZ while being valuable is also a vet who I don't see fitting with the future core.

I see pouliot as having the most upside of all these players and feel we desperately need his offense especially on the pp.

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Pouliot is a gift from the hockey trade gods. He is still a work in progress but oozes upside. May go down as one of the best trades ever for the Canucks. Still a ways from that but its a possibility.

6 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Imo pouliots game is the one that fits the current style of the nhl the best. As far as skating ability, puck moving/ passing, transition goes I'd say he's better than all of the players you mentioned. Hutton looks to be regressing and stetcher hasn't found his offensive game at all so far this season. MDZ while being valuable is also a vet who I don't see fitting with the future core.

I see pouliot as having the most upside of all these players and feel we desperately need his offense especially on the pp.

I don’t disagree - I’d be shocked if JB chose Pouliot as the one to move of those 4.

Just saying we have a lot of not-that-physical, puck moving types who can bring a bit of offense and not a lot of hulking lumberjacks.

If anyone I could see selling Edler at the TDL then re-evaluating with Hutton over the summer.  Maybe make a draft deal to move him and spend a little on a UFA left shooting defenseman like Calvin De Haan? 

MDZ-Tanev

De Haan-Stecher

Pouliot-Gudbranson 

with Biega as your 7 and Juolevi as the dark horse.

17 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m sure management has a specific dollar value they’d spend on a player of Gudbransons qualities. He’s a UFA at the end of the year and if management feels he’s gonna ask more than they want to spend I’d hope he’s moved for something than lost for nothing. There are a lot of physical players the Canucks can sign in free agency during the summer.

Yeah there’s obviously a limit to what you’d spend on Guddy... but if he thinks he can command 5.5 I don’t understand the hand wringing about losing a 2nd and a dud like McCann in the trade nor do I worry about JB getting a solid return for him. 

He either lacks value and will re sign for a reasonable amount to be a physical 4-5 for us... or he has a lot of value and we’ll find a nice return for him at the deadline.

I can’t stand it when some posters seem to play both sides of the fence - he’s going to somehow command 6 mil a season but will struggle to return a 2nd round pick.

16 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I don’t disagree - I’d be shocked if JB chose Pouliot as the one to move of those 4.

Just saying we have a lot of not-that-physical, puck moving types who can bring a bit of offense and not a lot of hulking lumberjacks.

If anyone I could see selling Edler at the TDL then re-evaluating with Hutton over the summer.  Maybe make a draft deal to move him and spend a little on a UFA left shooting defenseman like Calvin De Haan? 

MDZ-Tanev

De Haan-Stecher

Pouliot-Gudbranson 

with Biega as your 7 and Juolevi as the dark horse.

Would love a player like De Haan and moving Edler would be the best commodity to trade if he's willing.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Yes, it's possible that MItchell was responding from a different perspective - as a former Canuck and B.C.er - he could have been wondering "WTF" are the Canucks doing?    That's my team, my home team - why would they make this move?   Gudbranson suckzzz!  

still-waiting-atic-mthruf-com-via-9gag-c

#StillWaiting4OldNews. If only I could make it trend, maybe then you wouldn't attempt to pass on opinionated articles as fact.

29 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya I wasn't suggesting trading edler for De Haan, merely suggesting we could trade edler at the TDL and sign De Haan in the off season 

12 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Ya I wasn't suggesting trading edler for De Haan, merely suggesting we could trade edler at the TDL and sign De Haan in the off season 

I know, I just saw the news come out today and thought I'd share. 

Personally, I'd like to see us add some physicality to our bottom 6 and then replace Gudbranson with a more well rounded defenseman in the offseason. De Haan would certainly meet that criteria and probably won't break the bank. 

Our defense could look very different next year. There's a chance we could end up trading Edler/Tanev and Gudbranson. That would leave a pretty big hole in our backend but should do wonders for our draft position. Our prospect pool is already strong, imagine what it would look like if we trade Edler/Tanev and Gudbranson and add another top 5 pick to the mix. *Drools*

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

MDZ/Hutton or Edler sure but no way we move Pouliot. He was a great pick up and is improving every game. Stecher is a tough one, works hard has lots of energy, good teammate but alittle small but plays much bigger. Tough decision.

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

MDZ/Hutton or Edler sure but no way we move Pouliot. He was a great pick up and is improving every game. Stecher is a tough one, works hard has lots of energy, good teammate but alittle small but plays much bigger. Tough decision.

I think Stetcher has just lost his confidence. He looked unreal out of the gate last year and ended up winning best defenseman. That's not the Stetcher we're seeing these days...

The one thing that stands out to me is he used to be so good at getting his shot through traffic and on net. Now he struggles to hit the net. 

Archived