The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins ice time inching back up

*Buzzsaw*

12 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

If you earn it, you will play. Isn't that what you want in a head coach? They have been our best line on this road trip.

As most know I always try to take the side of the coach.

However Reggie that adage didn't seem to hold water against the NJD and the NYR because Gaunce (and his line mates) had what most agreed one of his best games against the Pens playing 18:20mins. The following game (NJD) he was down at about 12:30mins while still apparently playing pretty well and the time seemed to go to the twins.

I'm ok with that though as I'm sure the coach is sensing things before and during a game that we might not be aware of, which can influence his actions and TOI. One major factor of course is that Gaunce can't catch a break on the scoreboard and we desperately needed a goal against NJ.

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

As most know I always try to take the side of the coach.

However Reggie that adage didn't seem to hold water against the NJD and the NYR because Gaunce (and his line mates) had what most agreed one of his best games against the Pens playing 18:20mins. The following game (NJD) he was down at about 12:30mins while still apparently playing pretty well and the time seemed to go to the twins.

I'm ok with that though as I'm sure the coach is sensing things before and during a game that we might not be aware of, which can influence his actions and TOI. One major factor of course is that Gaunce can't catch a break on the scoreboard and we desperately needed a goal against NJ.

Yeah, saying Gaunce has been snake bitten would be a huge understatement. More like the snake opened its jaws wide and swallowed him whole. When you badly need a goal, a couple of guys with over 2000 NHL points combined (and who are playing well) would seem like a better choice for more ice time.

Games are not played in a vacuum - there is another team at play and particularly on the road (last change and all that), you need to match lines.   Different players match up differently so often it is the other team that dictates how much certain players on your team play.   

For me the Sedins have earned the extra minutes as of late, Green isn't giving them any preferencial treatment, last game they were our best players and consistency isn't an issue.  Maybe Green is giving in to the Daniel 1000 point watch and it's the real reason for the extra time, guess we will find out soon... 

Y’all are looking into this way to much. The Sedin’s are old, and as such to make sure they stay healthy and play a consistent game, you have to manage their ice times and then let them go all out when it matters. 

Remember last year when they started hot and fizzled away? Willie still rode them like they were in their prime. Even Popovich knew that with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli he had to sit them out or limit their games. 

Green is a smart man in my books. 

They have played well defensively since being paired with Virtanen and now with Ericksson. With not being defensive liabilities I am OK with them getting more ice time(with limits of course because of age). The difference in playing partners seems to make a huge difference as the PP seems to be working better since TG changed them up as well.

TG has improved this team dramatically in the short time he has been here then what has happened over the past few years I am very impressed. He has got to be a contender for coach of the year for what he has been able to accomplish thus far.

If the plan of playing the best players is kept intact, I strongly believe that we could have the best third line in the NHL for the next five years. When the Sedins came into the league most pundits pegged them as third liners. We Canucks fans, have been treated to the best show in the league on any night for almost two decades. I appreciate that.

The Sedins are two of the best players in the world no doubt and I have no reason to believe that they are done in the NHL; as a third line. Now that Eriksson has arrived, this line could be dangerous. However, as a go-to, one-two punch, first liners, those days have passed. Playing your "best players" when two future Hall of Famers are sitting on your bench is no doubt a daunting task. But if Green can stick to his plan to develop a Stanley Cup team full of 1st rounders picked and traded for, then those young players must be played.

The benefit of the Sedins being surpassed by other, younger players like Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi and Boeser is that they are kept fresh. Perhaps that is the winning formula to the Canucks early and ongoing success. The thought of having to play a team that is deep enough to play the Sedins as third unit should be enough to win any game int he NHL. In five years, when Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi, Petterson, Dahlen and Virtanen are firing on all their cylinders in a playoff game, the Sedins's play might be the catalyst that gets the Cup.

As third liners.

Archived